Thread: Milwaukee county parks-permit required?

Milwaukee county parks-permit required?

It's getting crazy in my area. Just got kicked out of another park, and told that the county now requires a permit to metal detect. The guy tells me he's kicked out several people this year! Funny thing is that nowhere in any park rules or regulations is it mentioned. Thinking it's another ploy for our mismanaged cout to generate revenue using land we already get taxed to pay for.
    Well, going to try making some calls and/or doing more research. If I find anything, I'll post an update.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Made phone call to parks department and only got the receptionist who says NO METAL DETECTING ALLOWED in ANY Milwaukee county park.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

It's funny, I hear horror stories all the time of folks having to jump through legal hoops to be able to hunt public property. Around here it does not seem to be a problem. I hunt public property all the time. From parks that were established back in the 1860s to public school grounds and sports fields that are barely 20 years old (and were farms long ago). Not once have I been harassed. I have had police fellers stop by and chit chat and ask hows the hunting going. Grounds keepers ask that I "make sure and cover up my holes and by the way whatcha finding? Anything good?"

It disturbs me that in some areas of the country people really expect us treasure hunters to pay for a MD license to hunt on public property. I already have a drivers license, a dog license, a marriage license, a state parks license, a parking garage license and a license to donate my blood to the locale blood bank. How much more can our public government system ask of us?
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

I wonder if a licence is needed would one have to wear it like a fishing licence? Very sorry to hear this DOD. I hope you have some alternate sites lined up.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Drew, I actually have very few options here. Getting permissions is a very rare event. Detecting is strictly banned in any state or federal lands, and every countying park across the state I have checked. Even private property that owners (such as farmers) open their property up to public use such as hunting is banned because it's overseen by our state's department of natural resources, so is regulated like state lands.
    I have been threatened with fines or arrest and seizure of my equipment at various places for unknowingly detecting in prohibited public parks and other public places. My state at least is so overregulated I'm waiting for the day it becomes illegal to breathe without a permit.
    I have tried to contact officials from a few different places to see if anything could be worked out, such as regulating detecting, taking a test, and or obtaining a permit. I've laid out the benefits detecting has on parks and that it encourages learning history, navigation, research, and being responsible and respectful of the parks. All seems to be in vain because so far I haven't had a single response. Maybe it's going to be time to hang up the detector very soon.
    Equipment:

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Unless they made some recent changes it is allowed in Milwaukee County Parks. Many years ago there was a debate about this subject and they decided to allow metal detecting but as far as I know nothing was ever put in writing. If they wanted to get technical the ordinance below does mention turf. I think the receptionist is just saying no MDing because she can and the worker who said you need a permit does not know what he is talking about. Maybe he thought you were geocaching, that does require a permit.
    47.08. - Injury to, destruction, or removal of public property.

(1)
    Destruction of property.
    (a)
    No person shall climb any tree, or pluck any flowers or fruit, wild or cultivated, or break, cut down, trample upon, remove, or in any manner injure or deface, write upon, defile or ill use any tree, shrub, flower, flower bed, turf, fountain, ornament, statue, building, fence, apparatus, bench, table, official notice, sign, bridge, structure or other property within any park or parkway.

This is very disturbing to me because I've been detecting in Milwukee county parks for 28 years and have never had anyone approach me in a negative way. There is still a lot to be found in those parks and it would be ashame if they start to say NO.
    Last edited by Fire Fighter 43; 08-16-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I completely agree! There is no specific ban on detecting, but technically it is by the cited ordinance. But if you read the rest of the requirements for digging up park lands it clearly is directed towards construction projects.
    It is very disturbing to me as well since I've been booted from 4 county parks so far, and i can't find anyone in government that will tell me that it's ok to detect.
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    Unless they made some recent changes it is allowed in Milwaukee County Parks. Many years ago there was a debate about this subject and they decided to allow metal detecting but as far as I know nothing was ever put in writing. If they wanted to get technical the ordinance below does mention turf. I think the receptionist is just saying no MDing because she can and the worker who said you need a permit does not know what he is talking about. Maybe he thought you were geocaching, that does require a permit.
    47.08. - Injury to, destruction, or removal of public property.

(1)
    Destruction of property.
    (a)
    No person shall climb any tree, or pluck any flowers or fruit, wild or cultivated, or break, cut down, trample upon, remove, or in any manner injure or deface, write upon, defile or ill use any tree, shrub, flower, flower bed, turf, fountain, ornament, statue, building, fence, apparatus, bench, table, official notice, sign, bridge, structure or other property within any park or parkway.

This is very disturbing to me because I've been detecting in Milwukee county parks for 28 years and have never had anyone approach me in a negative way. There is still a lot to be found in those parks and it would be ashame if they start to say NO.
    trample upon....turf. Does this mean that anybody walking on the grass is in violation????
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Apparently you also cannot walk across any bridge either
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Beartoe View Post
    It's funny, I hear horror stories all the time of folks having to jump through legal hoops to be able to hunt public property. Around here it does not seem to be a problem. I hunt public property all the time. From parks that were established back in the 1860s to public school grounds and sports fields that are barely 20 years old (and were farms long ago). Not once have I been harassed. I have had police fellers stop by and chit chat and ask hows the hunting going. Grounds keepers ask that I "make sure and cover up my holes and by the way whatcha finding? Anything good?"

It disturbs me that in some areas of the country people really expect us treasure hunters to pay for a MD license to hunt on public property. I already have a drivers license, a dog license, a marriage license, a state parks license, a parking garage license and a license to donate my blood to the locale blood bank. How much more can our public government system ask of us?
    Just the other day I was reading a post on one of the UK forums where a farmer had to get written permission to hunt his own land? I'm still blown away by this?
    Last edited by sonofdust; 08-28-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Here in Oregon we have to have permits to search state parks but they are free. The beach from border to border is free. The permits are to tell us where to NOT dig and what tools to use. The reason things are tightening up is the lack of care some diggers take when digging. We cover our holes even underwater. Someone could step in a hole while wading and break an ankle. We never get hassled for permits in the water either. Too far from shore.lol.
    We have only had trouble with one parks manager who was saying no because people were leaving holes and he pointed to them. HUNDREDS of them I saw, and could not believe it. Upon closer inspection turns out they were where they had sprayed dandelions and when they died they left pock marks everywhere. We informed this person of this and he rolled his eyes(like he knew who was responsible) and renigged on his ban of metal detecting. Re-educating people about metal detecting is time consuming and just hard to do. We just don't go where there is a problem. The world is just huge, my coil is only 9x12 in. There is always somewhere to swing thats free. Personally I wish it was like it was in the old days before these stupid detector shows started up. We were eccentric, and people looked at us funny.

Lol, people still look at me funny too often, but happy to chat and educate as well. Rarely do I ever see an unfilled hole, and less so in parks. I think most detectorists are aware of our shrinking opportunities.
    Equipment:

Not out here on the West Coast. People are causing problems everywhere we go.
    Last edited by riveraiders60; 09-03-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Oh and all our parks , its just best to ask the manager/host and they usually say ok when you show them your technique. Some places of National historical stuff of course a big nono. They will confiscate your equipment. Your tax dollars at work.

The national parks are off limits due to our federal antiquities laws. In Wisconsin all state parks are banned due to our department of natural resources and state archaeologists. They will issue a permit if looking for a specific lost item, in a specified area, but no digging allowed. No items other than that specified on the permit may be taken.
    Equipment:

In Cincinnati you need a permit however it is free. You fill out a application and submit a picture of your drivers license. That way they know who is detecting. I do not have a problem with that. At least when somebody comes up to you can just say I have a permit from the city. however only hand trowels are allowed. No shovels.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

We can only use a screwdriver. Now I can do that but its a pain. Im just not good at it. I'd rather put on a wetsuit and scoop in the water. We rarely dig on land anymore. I found this '17 Walking Liberty by a rotted swim pier .Attachment 55494
    Last edited by riveraiders60; 09-04-2016 at 02:53 PM.

One of the reasons people get up in arms about digging holes is that sometimes the holes are not filled back in. This hole was in a locale park. I promptly filled it in for the so and so who was negligent.

Name:  Bad Hole1.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  134.0 KB
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Good job, we do that too. Dont give up, you gotta fight... for your right...We keep lead and broken bottle tops in our bags to show people (rangers especially) what we are REALLY finding!
    And silly me thats a STANDING LIBERTY I found. I musta been sleepy when I posted that.
    Last edited by riveraiders60; 09-05-2016 at 02:24 PM.