Thread: Some days it is nice to give!

Candidate Member

Some days it is nice to give!

Today was not my normal day of digging. Normally I dig alone or with my wife. Today I got to metal detect with a friends child. He is about ten years old. We met at a local park and I explained the equipment to him and how each item is used. He was glued to my every word!
    I let him know that he could keep anything he dug.
    The coil was a bit big for him to swing, so I did the swinging. The first signal we came to was an old rusted can. I gave him instruction on how to dig a proper plug and let him go to town with a small hand shovel. He was certainly excited to see something in the hole. He dug out the entire can and you would have thought he dug a treasure chest. The moment was priceless. He looked the item over and I explained the opening in the top. I then gave him instruction on how to fill the hole back in. He placed the can in a bag I had given him to carry his loot and he was thrilled. The next object he dug was a beaver tail. I watched him pull the can from his bag and try to work the puzzle out in his mind. Another priceless moment. He placed both objects into the bag and we were off once again. The usual questions one would expect along the way. Is there any buried treasure here? Do you find coins? What is the deepest you have dug? ....
    i was happy to answer all of his questions. We continued for about another hour in all metal mode. We dug numerous pull tabs, an assortment of iron. (I got to carry the heavy treasures) and a variety of can slaw and junk. I could see he was starting to tire, so I switched to discriminate mode and adjusted the sensitivity so we weren't digging so deep. The very next item he dug was a penny. He was on cloud nine! I was so happy for him. He looked exhausted at this point and the sun was getting warm. I asked if he wanted to continue or head back to the cars? He decided to head back. ( I suspect he wanted to show his mother his finds.). On the way back to the cars, he decided to try one more signal. He ended his day with a wonderful gold colored pin.
    It was a wonderful day for both of us!!!

I agree, often the most fun is in the giving! I've done similar with a few curious kids who were polite and respectful who approached me while detecting. The really young ones, I answer questions and usually send them on delighted to have a crusty zincoln as their own treasure!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Good read and forming a new generation of diggers!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!