Thread: 1858 Seated Quarter! Plus a nice SLQ in a spill

1858 Seated Quarter! Plus a nice SLQ in a spill

Today I spent the whole day detecting with my brother at two sites that he had found for me. He doesn't detect, he just follows me around and watches, plus I always hand him the finds fresh out of the hole to ID. He has always been my good luck charm and today was no exception!

The only coin we found at the first site was an 1858-O Seated Quarter! It is the oldest quarter I have ever found.
    It has two holes in it and it isn't in great shape but I was still thrilled to find it!

At the second site the first signal I dug was a 1903 Indian Head, a good sign! This site was in town on a corner lot, and I ended up with the Indian plus 12 wheat cents and a nice 1925 SLQ! The SLQ was in a spill with 3 wheat cents. I also found a really cool old diecast cannon at this site, plus two junk rings and a token.

All-in-all it was a super fun day!

Here are my coin finds for the day:
    Name:  Pile-1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  92.2 KB

And here are the relics. The watch fob is from about 1918 and says "Shapleigh Hardware Co. Diamond Edge" on it.
    Name:  Relics-1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  81.0 KB

Here are some photos of the 1858 Seated Quarter before cleaning and after:
    Name:  Seated-Obv-Dirty.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  78.1 KB
    Name:  Seated-Obv-Clean.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  65.1 KB
    Name:  Seated-Rev-Clean.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  80.1 KB

One of my favorite finds from the day, this diecast toy cannon:
    Name:  Canon.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  70.9 KB

Someone who shall remain nameless (it wasn't my brother!) used their fingernail to remove the dirt from the SLQ and scratched it, so I thought what the heck, I'll just go ahead and try to buff out the scratches with baking soda. It came out pretty nice, actually.
    Name:  Keepers.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  SLQ-Obv.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  SLQ-Rev.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  55.4 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow Tony, great finds! That SLQ is unusually worn, typically the date is the first to go. Nice to see the date is still so clear. That seated quarter looks just like my last seated dime (minus the holes), but still a great find! Thst token and cannon are also really cool finds!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Elite Member
    Great finds Tony, good thing the SLQ was a low relief. The toy canon is quite the find. Nice hunts. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I cleaned up the Seated Quarter a little more. The date is easier to read now, I think.

Name:  Seated-Obv-Cleaner.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  76.1 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats on a great day of detecting. A seated quarter is very high on my wish list...congrats on yours sir. Beautiful SLQ and that cannon is fantastic.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow do you have any other brothers you can rent out? 2 fantastic silver quarters and some cool relics! Congrats!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

MAN O MAN Tony!! The dates are crystal clear on both quarters!....and those cents are fabulous! Hey, what coin has the spade the spade punched through? That is one super day!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Hey, what coin has the spade punched through?
    That is a token. I was excited by it at first, but after I examined it I don't think it's very old. On one side it says "For amusement only" and on the other side it says "No cash or trade value".
    Lifetime totals:

Great finds Tony. Another Seated Quarter.Wow.
    I'm still looking for my first.
    Congrats on all the nice coins and that cool little canon!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice, Tony. I think with the shape of the seated I'd prob still have cleaned it with the baking soda even if "someone" didn't scratch it with the fingernail. The token Drew pointed out is cool too. Is the three holed item a hinge? I found one with almost the same shape at an 1820s house. Mine was def a brass hinge with the three holes in a clover pattern, but yours is a tad offset.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Excellent diggs.

Wondering about that cannon. Looks like a cannon from a circus act where someone is shot from the cannon. Could it be part of a piece circus set?
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter