Thread: UK trip Edward 111, Roman, Lizie 1 and Vickie

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

UK trip Edward 111, Roman, Lizie 1 and Vickie

On time I left from the Halifax Robert Stanfield International Airport Heathrow bound with Air Canuck. With boots on the ground it was the usual route by tube and rail where my mate Jim picked me up at the Newark Train Station. 16 days to dig, 16 days off work with the only bad part was 16 days away from the hunny bunny.
    First full day was spent shopping. Must say my host's driving had improved in my mind.....think I was getting used to it. Told Jim this and his reply was simply, "I drive like I stole it."
    While cruising the downtown came across this old bouy tending his flower garden. You could tell it was a labour of love.

During the stay Jim and I attended a few rallies, did our land while at other times hosted by fellow diggers. Must say this was the nicest find by one of our mates during the whole time.

Some of the areas that we dug were just overwhelming as well as endless!

While others one was wondering if they were in a time warp or about to be bombed and strifed by a Lancaster !

It was in this last field that I had the crap scared out of me for as I was swinging in the "zone" approaching a little crop of hay when the "Hunny Bunny" jumped out boot scooting it across the field. Only this one had 4 legs not two.
    The sun set on another day.

Jim as always was the perfect host suggesting on a few of the evenings we hit such hot spots as the Clanger, The Tempest and the Wheatsheff. All purveyors of that great brew Guinness.
    Another day and another field with Jim having the tough choice. Swing the F75 or Deus. No choice on this bouys part as it was the Pro all the way. Jim is shown hear swinging by the old church.............at least I kneeled passing by............twice...jeton followed by a Lizze hammered. Was a day of penance though as the mud and straw stuck to the boots making each step seem like ten. Ben Gay, meds and booze did the trick on the old knackered knees.

This two day rally turned out to be a digfiest for Jim and I.

Before I knew it the sad but happy day was upon us with the last kick at the cat. This rally taught me the true meaning of dirt fishing as I was almost skunked but managed one copper after digging this up! A few days later was skunked making it the 2nd time in my digging history that I was...both came in the UK. Soul Drop the 1st with this time................... Fakesby I believe that place was called.

Highlights of this years finds. Jim had a few goodies which he will post on his sites.

For any one heading across the big pond don't think you will walk into every field and find Roman and Saxon goods. You have to earn them. Fields are stinggy....you have to put in your time.
    Thanks big time to Jimmy K and like Arnold said...."I'll be back!"
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Awesome finds! Loves those hammered coins and buckles!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Looks like a good time was had by all. and you got some nice diggs too.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Elite Member
    Amazing finds and great photos. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Great write up and finds! Looks like a good time was had by all

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Great post and great finds Leslie. I hope you proudly display them in your collection.

Welcome back....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album