Thread: Three days of silver and hard times token +

Three days of silver and hard times token +

I've been out a few times since the last post I made. Friday 9-16 I got out of work early to hit a cellar with Danny. Finally taking him to one of my sites... until I learned he had been there before. Its a big site with two cellars and I guess a pen way far back from the cellars. I could have sworn it was a completely different site. I managed a small buckle and a watch case for a smaller pocket watch. Now I realize I don't have a pic. There's still two more nearby cellars I haven't checked.
    Name:  Junker Car 9-16.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  133.3 KBName:  Flat button gilt 9-16.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  67.8 KBName:  Yard Wheats and lure.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  87.3 KB
    On the 17th I went to a friends house. It is a small lot that used to have an old store on it. Nearby houses are 1800, 1850, and a few other 1800s idr off the top of my head. The house was torn down and a new foundation put up already. I didn't have much area to swing. I still squeaked out a two piece button made by Leavenworth & Co. It appears to be 1830's and I did read somewhere that Leavenworth had some affiliation with Scovill, possibly that they were acquired by Scovill later on. The clip had been ID'd as an earing. It must be a really old clip on earing. There was 1 green wheat, 1944, found there and a big brass bell. The cover I believe was for a Jackie Coogan candy tin. And the Boston Confectionary company was acquired by Necco who had the largest candy factory in the world in 1927.
    Name:  Finds 9-17.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  87.0 KBName:  Earing 9-17.jpg
Size:  70.2 KBName:  Earing sideview 9-17.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  48.9 KBName:  Leavenworth 9-17.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  108.0 KBName:  Leavenworth backmark.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  150.1 KBName:  Two piece button front.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  82.1 KBName:  Leavenworth & Co Backmark.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  74.5 KBName:  Earing plus yard.jpg
Size:  88.4 KBName:  Tin lid close.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  78.2 KBName:  Brass bell.jpg
Size:  73.3 KB
    Sunday the 18th was a slow day. I saw a piece of land that had around 180 acres of stone wall enclosures. There weren't too many rocks inside. I was looking for a home site nearby. The 34 aerial had no visible site. The closest cellar was 1/2 mile away. I guess it turned out to be a ginormous set of pens cuz there wasn't much activity there. Very few iron hits. I did find one button. At first I thought it was the back of a two piece, but then realized it was too thick so must be a concave button. I left it uncleaned for a bit.. Well. I cleaned it up finally yesterday. After a hot peroxide bath I actually saw detail on the front. Most likely original hand painted circles. I thought that was the coolest thing as all the other buttons I have seen only have a design only if it was etched.
    Name:  Concave button 9-23.jpg
Size:  46.2 KBName:  Uncleaned concave front.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  66.7 KBName:  Concave Button Cleaned circles.jpg
Size:  55.5 KB
    This weekend was a good one. Three days in a row with silver. Friday I finally checked out an open space.... with one of those fun encounters. Just gotta smh. There were a bunch of fields once part of this estate. They are visible in '34. It used to have the same name as the adjacent parcel with an 1800 house thru the valuations. Well, now it is town owned open space and has been for over a decade. Sure enough there was someone who had to stop. He was driving by and saw me. He drove onto the private prop parcel driveway giving me this grilling on being on private prop. He asked me what I was doing. After I replied, he said it was private. I proceeded to tell him it was town owned open space. He asked me if I had asked the town if I could do any detecting or digging. I then said to him "why would I ask the town? and who would I ask? I checked the ordinance". Of course he had to enquire if the ordinance said you could detect. I told him it didn't say you couldn't. Of course he retorted " I don't believe you can do that. I'm writing down your license plate info and Im going to the town and asking them if you should be here". Wtf? There is def cut brush behind to the back fields like a really wide hiking path. I kept swinging. Before he came by, I found a '39 Washington. After, I found a wheat.
    Name:  Field Finds 9-23.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  66.0 KB
    Saturday I met up with a few people from the detecting group. I was given the gps earlier in the week to look into. I saw the cellars in the 34 aerial and the old maps. We got there early. As I came in, I went by the cellar near the road and noticed this cart path behind the structures just near this creek. We all went on the other side of the creek to where the main structure was. The organizer went by this area on a slight hill toward this big tree and then took off. I stayed a bit and sure enough right up against this tiny tree was a silver dime. Less than 2" deep on top of a rock was a 1916 barber dime. Now I can finally say I pulled a silver coin at a cellar. yay! It was stingy to the others, but in one guy's defense, his coil cover had a bunch of crap still in it. AND.. it was also a bad coil which he just got replaced today under warranty (Deus). There was a tiny stone retaining wall which looked like it diverted water on the top of the hill side. Right near there was a plate. C.H. Brownell was a furniture company in Peru, IN. Seems like he was on the town committee for something in 1901, and his company made furniture for the post office in 1910. We tried the cart path up to main site but I eventually diverted to the cart path behind the cellars. AND it was a good move. I pulled up my first hard times token. First it looked like a matron, but once I noticed the banner and words above the bust, I knew what it was. Sweet. And then I pulled another concave button.
    Name:  Barber 1919 found 9-24.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  42.7 KBName:  Barber Back cleaned.jpg
Size:  33.7 KBName:  Chicken of the woods.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  78.4 KBName:  Hard times token 9-24.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  100.1 KBName:  Not One Cent back.jpg
Size:  86.2 KBName:  Furniture tag.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  70.2 KB
    The organizer had to leave, but there were a few other sites and I had a little time left. Us remaining drove to one cellar. OMG is it a big site. It looks big in 34 aerial but once you get there you realize how big it is. I didn't have time to swing, tho. I wasted some time chasing signals in the road up there. I did get another early '24 wheat and made it to double wall driveway. I managed to show him the cellar, take a pic, see iron near the cellar, and then head out. He didn't get much as his coil was bad, but I think its a site us three will go back to soon. And I will be checking the less obvi spots to get some nice finds.
    Name:  Weekends Finds 9-23 to 25.jpg
Size:  58.9 KBName:  Main Cellar 9-24.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  143.4 KBName:  Cellar Walkout 9-24.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  142.4 KBName:  Sailing 9-24.jpg
Size:  67.7 KB
    Sunday I went out for a bit early on. As I hiked out the day before, there was a hiker telling me about a site near there having been logged recently and a cellar being found. I drove to the intersection where he said and parked. I saw the stone work. This wasn't the site. So, after feeding the plants I grabbed the detector and off I went for a short hunt there. I checked a little inside this field having a lip 3'-5' along the edge. Right on the lip I pulled a WM Rogers spoon. I checked near the cellar quick as there were many overloads and trash. Then the other side of the road. Then I followed the cattle path on the other road figuring that would lead to the newly uncovered cellar. Well, it took me up to an immense pen. I followed across the brook to find some other stone work and hiking paths. There was more sporadic stone work but no home sites. Eventually I came back to the road and hiked back toward the car. I stopped to check out this cellar site that is overgrown by the cellar. The fields are ginormous as well. The big one is at least 400 yards front to back. I didn't spend too much time, but I did find the still utilized field that was next to home site had more targets. I shall return. Hiking back again toward car I finally spotted the cellar that the hiker mentioned. It was right off the side of the road and a huge barn foundation with 6'+ high walls I'm sure it was visible from the road and hit before. I may still check it out soon anyway.
    Name:  Ready to strike.jpg
Size:  125.2 KBName:  Creepy tree.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  146.8 KBName:  Logged barn huge walls.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  129.8 KB
    I then met up with a guy from the bookface for a bit. We took a ride to a cellar many 15 min away from where I was. There wasn't much to find there. I did notice this cart path to what looked like a quarry. I saw a second garter there. I got a rolled up spoon and then we headed out to a field in the woods. It's an odd piece as it has a creek running right through it. Stone lining walls are incomplete. I got a nice small conestoga bell with "IND" stamped inside. And third silver for the weekend was out back of the field. Pulled a '23 merc and a '37 wheat. I have an item to take a pic for Whatsit so that'll be pending. No close up of '23. Its above in the weekend finds.

Name:  Bell Design.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  55.7 KBName:  Bell marking.jpg
Size:  50.0 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Excellent adventure with some nice finds. That Zippo lighter has a lifetime warranty. I know one guy who gets his Zippo finds refurbished by the manufacturer under the warranty. Check it out.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Lots of great finds and lots more potential at the other sites. Good luck, hope you do well there!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Some great finds Jim. Your "not one cent" token is something on my wish list....congrats on yours. Getting your 1st silver from a cellar must have put a smile on your face. Nice pictures and how did you ever get by that snake....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Sweet hunts and an awesome write up. Love the nature pictures and the variety of finds you had. Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Elite Member
    Nice finds. Always love your photos. Great finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Nice digs Jim. That is a nice HTT. That candy tin is unique. Cool find.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Beartoe View Post
    Excellent adventure with some nice finds. That Zippo lighter has a lifetime warranty. I know one guy who gets his Zippo finds refurbished by the manufacturer under the warranty. Check it out.
    I didn't see the Zippo name on the bottom, but if it def is, sounds cool. Maybe I will. I never heard of the film company until I found this, however there were a few famous films the company was involved in. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Lots of great finds and lots more potential at the other sites. Good luck, hope you do well there!
    Thanks, Chris. Oh yeah there's potential at the site I had to leave on Sat and the sites on Sun. Gonna go back soon. Got the specific fields in mind at the site still utilized and the area in mind for the place I had to leave from for the Sat night "adventure".

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Some great finds Jim. Your "not one cent" token is something on my wish list....congrats on yours. Getting your 1st silver from a cellar must have put a smile on your face. Nice pictures and how did you ever get by that snake....
    Thanks, Al. It's good to know that even tho others have finds I haven't gotten yet, that I have some that others haven't. Not saying it like its a competition, but just to know how well I am doing. Yes it was good... now to find one of those elusive reales. Maybe now that I have found silver, it will come more easy. Lol. Snake? That was a tiny guy. I picked up the second one. They are actually poisonous, but their fangs are too far back that they can't 'bite' a human. Plus I had gloves on.

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog53946 View Post
    Sweet hunts and an awesome write up. Love the nature pictures and the variety of finds you had. Congrats
    Thanks. Good to know the write ups are good. I only put like a paragraph or so for each spot. Haha.. one creepy tree there.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Nice finds. Always love your photos. Great finds WD
    Thanks WD. Detectorist AND cameraman. Shoulda seen what it looked like from the field I hunted last night. I got a pic and I may include in next write-up. I first got a pic of the tower, but then like 20 min later I see the pinkest sky. Too bad the camera didn't pick up the color my eyes were seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice digs Jim. That is a nice HTT. That candy tin is unique. Cool find.
    Thanks, Jeffy. Fairly good shape HTT, I think. That candy tin is quite unique. Screamer for sure. Odd how the guy that did this maybe 400 sq ft that wasn't modified from re-build didn't find it. I thought it was the CT shield at first, but then realized it wasn't.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

My gosh Jim! Top shelf finds! Did you clean up that token any further?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    My gosh Jim! Top shelf finds! Did you clean up that token any further?
    Tenks, Drew.

That was about as good as a cleaning could do. I used the peroxide method on it. It's renwaxed now, but I might be able to try and toothpick, but I don't think it'll help any.

Name:  Hard times token illum.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  94.7 KBName:  HTT back illum.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  59.4 KB

Nice finds and photos and a good story too, Jim!

Looks like you had an adventure with some good finds as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Congrats on the hard times token and the barber Jim , it was good to see you at the club meeting and to see you win the category with your token .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Congrats on the hard times token and the barber Jim , it was good to see you at the club meeting and to see you win the category with your token .
    Thanks Dan. It was good to see you too. I was actually wondering when I first got there (late as usual... .. but it was from the person that doesn't stay for the meetings) I almost was wondering if that was you cuz you don't wear the glasses that often.

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Looks like you had an adventure with some good finds as well!
    Thanks, Milco. Always an adventure with detecting..

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    Nice finds and photos and a good story too, Jim!
    Thanks, Mike. Good that not everyone complains the length of the write-ups.. lol.