Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Swimming Hole Silver And gold

Old Swimming Hole Silver And gold

It was worth making another trip to the old swimming hole. The lake yielded a few more keepers.

This is today's silver, eight dimes, dated 1935, 1941, 1942-S, 1943, 1943, 1945, 1945, and 1946-D.

I picked up a few old nickels too.

I also managed to find two more gold rings. They are both heavy.

And here are the rest of the finds.

HH!

Re: Old Swimming Hole Silver And gold

Nice finds Angel. You must be cleaning up pretty good at that swimming hole. All dimes and nickels for silver. I was intrigued by the 2 ID bracelets.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Angel I can barely stand to look at these posts! They make me want to fling my detector right into the Erie Canal. Holy cow! Any one of these swimming hole hunts would make my stinking YEAR!

Congrats on you amazing finds!

What is making the silver look so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    What is making the silver look so bad?
    It's sulfide buildup, typical of silver found at lakes and ponds. Most clean up well using the method posted HERE.

Now that is a heck of a hunting spot
    Way to go Angellionel

You had an awesome water hunt that day Angel

very nice all i can do is sit here and drool until spring wtg
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Very nice water finds
    Today is my day

Veteran Member

Awesome for Sure !! Congrats on the finds Angel
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Nice finds! Love those rings...

That is one sweet V nickel!!! Looks like a full Liberty to me
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Candidate Member

Hello Angel - I've been reading your posts with grear interest. I'm a new Etrac owner. I'm going to load your settings from the Etrac post today, ... but. I live on Saipan, in the Northern Marianas Islands. We have a LOT of WW2 junk and some hopefully good stuff. I'm mostly interested in a rocky beach area that was the site of a Spanish ship crashing into the reef in the late 1600s. You can still find small oieces of Chinese porcelin washing up today. I've been out with the out of the box settings, coin, on my Etrac. I have a very impressive pile of pull tabs. I'd rather find something better. What words of wisdom would have as a good starting point with the Etrac? I'm useing the standard coil, but have an SEF 12x15.

Thanks for any suggestions - Dave Power

Quote Originally Posted by davpower View Post
    Hello Angel - I've been reading your posts with grear interest. I'm a new Etrac owner. I'm going to load your settings from the Etrac post today, ... but. I live on Saipan, in the Northern Marianas Islands. We have a LOT of WW2 junk and some hopefully good stuff. I'm mostly interested in a rocky beach area that was the site of a Spanish ship crashing into the reef in the late 1600s. You can still find small oieces of Chinese porcelin washing up today. I've been out with the out of the box settings, coin, on my Etrac. I have a very impressive pile of pull tabs. I'd rather find something better. What words of wisdom would have as a good starting point with the Etrac? I'm useing the standard coil, but have an SEF 12x15.

Thanks for any suggestions - Dave Power
    Hi Dave, and welcome to American Detectorist! Sorry for the tardy reply by the way.

You have yourself a fine machine, one I'm sure you will enjoy using for years to come. I know I have enjoyed detecting with mine these past two years.

I have not used my own E-Trac at any of the saltwater beaches I have worked out here, preferring to detect at such sites with a waterproof machine, like the Excalibur. There are others who have gained much experience using the E-Trac while working wet sand however, so no doubt they will be able to offer great suggestions on settings and discrimination patterns to use with the E-Trac when detecting at a beach.

I did use the E-Trac on dry and wet sand at one beach found at a lake though, and it performed quite well. But saltwater beaches do pose a different set of challenges. I have always worked those locations with my Excalibur or PI machine. However, if I were to use the E-Trac I would not hunt in all metal mode, that is, using a wide open screen. I do suggest using as little discrimination as possible though, perhaps just blocking out numbers near the bottom of the display to tame some of the iron you are likely to encounter.

Two or four tones is what I would turn to, using manual sensitivity, gauging where falsing may start to take place, and maintaining your sensitivity setting at just below that level. Set the ground setting to Neutral, Recovery Deep set to On, Recovery Fast set to Off, though this one is a matter of taste. Personally I don't care for it as I find the resulting tone distortion much too annoying.

I would have Trash Density set to Low unless the particular beach you are working is known to be strewn with iron. In that case I would have the setting set to High as it will allow E-Trac to detect good targets next to the iron you may be rejecting in your discrimination pattern. Having Trash Density set to High will allow the machine to yield a signal for the strongest accepted target, even if next to a rejected target.

I hope that helps.

Real good haul.

Wow that charm bracelet is really cool Angel The id bracelets too- did you google the names? I'm sure there's prob lots of peeps with those names though...

Congrats on all the silver and gold!

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=2207.msg68216#msg68216 date=1304945039
    Wow that charm bracelet is really cool Angel The id bracelets too- did you google the names? I'm sure there's prob lots of peeps with those names though...

Congrats on all the silver and gold!
    Nope. I just have them in a bag somewhere.

Elite Member

I saw this and thought it was a new post and thought Angel is already back in the water ........

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=2207.msg68390#msg68390 date=1305047903
    I saw this and thought it was a new post and thought Angel is already back in the water ........
    I am looking forward to some shallow water detecting this summer though.

I didn't realize this thread had been bumped from last August