Thread: best detector for coin and relics

best detector for coin and relics

would like to get a new metel detector, i have a older whites classic three. would like to up grade for christmas any thoughts on one. would like one with some tones and digital number readings. would spend between 400 and 700 thought about going with a fisher or garret but there are some new companies out there i havent seen before

That's a tough call in that price range. There are a few that come to mind as long as you're not looking to do any water hunting. Whites make a few models that fit that range. The Minelab X-Terra 705 is a great machine for about $600-I have one myself. Another I heard is really good is the Macro Racer at $499.
    If you can go a bit more, the XP Deus is a top machine that lists at $799. With a kit it can even go in the water. Yhen theres the multiple frequency machines such as the Whites Spectra V3i goes for $1349, and the Minelab E-Trak runs about $1200.
    Top of the line is the Minelab CTX, but you probably don't want to know the price on that one !
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Welcome aboard! If you already have a Whites, I'd suggest you stick with them as their customer service is the Gold standard. If you could squeeze a bit hight the MX Sport might be a good choice.

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product/mx-sport/
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

thanks iv had my whites for 10 yrs or longer never used it much got it out the other day and found a 1831 penny now got the bug again but so many new companies out there just wanted some opinoins

I have an AT Pro ($659.00 if I remember correctly) and a Minelab CTX (As DOD said, you don't want to know price). If you are the type of person who digs all signals, I would recommend the AT Pro. I don't know much about Whites in general, but the advantage of staying with the same manufacturer is that you understand the technology. I also bought the NEL storm coil for the AT Pro and now I find pending where I go deciding which detector to use. I do love the CTX, but sometimes the AT Pro works as good as or better (with NEL coil).
    The bonus about the AT Pro is that it is Waterproof to 10 feet (standard headphones that come with unit are not).
    Only downfall of AT Pro and that is due to the lack of patience I have is how batteries go in/out and also threading the cables into the unit. Houdini would even have a little trouble with it.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

checked out the racer looks nice this company is new to me thanks for the info

I am a White's fan. I have the V3i but I am looking real hard at the MX Sport. It is a lot closer to the dollar range you have mentioned. I am always afraid I will drop my V3i in the drink when I swing near the water , so the MX Sport is of a big interest to me.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

I almost bought one when they first came out and im glad I didnt they have been alot of people not very happy with them MX SPORT that is, its not been a isolated problem either. So bad whites halted sales for awhile. I know there are loyal whites users on here and that might ruffle some feathers but thats what ive been reading about that machine since it came out. I would steer clear of that one for awhile. I swing a deus, started with a at pro . There are alot of good machines out there and alot of opinions so good luck on your choice im sure you will find one you like.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

WHITES,mx5 will do salt and sand
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Im im a deus user but just got a makro racer 2 to test and got 3 coils with it. Im a relic hunter so I hunt thick iron alot and have my test garden set up accordingly. I tested this machine it it with the 10 x 5 coil its very impressive in iron. Take a nail lay it long ways and put a coin at the end of it and sweep it with your detector one way coming across the nail first see how far you have to slide the coin away before your detector will pick the coin up. the makro can hit the coin with it touching the nail impressive.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...