Thread: Multiple hunts, and got that sinking feeling.

Multiple hunts, and got that sinking feeling.

Hi all,
    Got out for a couple hunts this past week. The first was at the park near home where I had some good finds. This time the goodies were much harder to come across and I only came up with 2 wheats, one of which was deep in the woods. Makes one wonder how it got there. I also found a very unusual and large home made fishing sinker.
    I was planning a road trip for an outing with another member for Sunday, but it got cancelled Saturday due to poor conditions where we had planned to go. So instead I headed out solo early Sunday morning about an hour South. The first stop are a quarry park and beach only produced an old fishing lure and another sinker.
    The next stop was at a nearby river I had hoped might produce something, but only found it loaded with people fly fishing. So I headed to the next park down stream. This park obviously is heavily detected as it didn't even have much trash. On the edges in the weeds I did find a badly trashed no date wheat and a key. So I decided to change direction and try the water. Here I was able to score some clad, a hot wheels tank truck, and yet another old sinker. Then it was off to the beach at the lake. Here I only found a bit more clad.
    Next stop was closer to home. It was an area someone had told me about that showed a building on the old aerial maps. After almost an hour hiking I found it had obviously been dug out, only a hole remained with a bit of metal scrap and some clad nearby. This was another letdown. So back to the car with time to maybe hit one more site. This time I hit another park but found little there. The hunting was tough because of heavy trash. One hole i did eyeball an old tile. Maybe part of the hotel that i got the livery tag from since it was close to the same spot. I also did manage more clad, and I did get one deep repeatable squeaker high tone. This turned out to be probably the most difficult target I've had to date! I kept pinpointing moving targets here. The first turned out to be a rusty bottle cap. Rechecking the hole, and found a ball of tin foil. Rechecking and get another piece of foil. Checked again, got another bottle cap. Check once more and found a crushed screw cap. OK, one more check and another target. Dig out another clump and the signal is gone can't find it in the hole or the clump. I go to give up and go to fill the hole so I grab my lesche. I look, and what do I see? A shiny rim stuck in the dirt on the blade! Ended up with a 53 Rosie and my only good keeper of the day.
    Next big outing, I located an obscure, mostly forgotten stream close to home that I found used to be a local swimming hole in the early part of the 1900s, maybe earlier. Still looking for my honey hole!
    Thanks for reading, GL&HH!

Name:  20161107_213722.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  20161107_213803.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  20161107_213856.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  82.3 KB
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 11-07-2016 at 11:37 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Think it's some cosmic joke when you find a miniature automobile. I found a 79 Camaro the other day made in Malaysia while in a area dating to 1790.

Almost forgot the beach and water finds at the lake. A first-28 GA head stamp!

Name:  20161108_023513.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  49.6 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

The second post looks like better finds. The time when I found that WWI fob this summer, on the hill side was this area with a lower grade slope. The guy who invited us found a nice signal. It turned out to be one of those big toy dump trucks. Like a Tonka one It wasn't too far from some house, however you still wonder why this thing would be out in the woods near a house site dating back to the 1700s.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Your about due for that honey hole!! It's out there.
    Maybe sometime we could get together for some farm house door knocking.
    Plenty of them still out there!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I have to say that one of your fishing sinkers looks like a clock pendulum weight. Keep at it.....the honey hole is closer than you think.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album