Thread: Hello from Wny.

Hello from Wny.

I've been getting a lot of exercise lately and think I found something that matches me, I've had a terrible habit since forever of looking for things on the ground. Managed to get out about 4 times for 4-6 hours with a bounty hunter and did a test before I left on a 14k ring, shouldn't have ignored all the nickel/tab signals in hindsight. Anyway I'm up to about 2.50 and have noticed how bad modern coins disagree with dirt after a few years, the oldest today was a wheat penny. It's getting me outside, so even if it's a bust it's good for me. I am wondering how many people collect iron and try to scrap it after a few months. +15 pounds of rocks. Does anyone with a time ranger have a preference between the standard coil and the nugget detector? I usually don't have any rejections programmed because I've noticed that signal tones fluctuate by the speed you swing it and a few times it's been wrong (like aluminum sounding like silver). The area by me is finicky, the soil is rich and rocks in the ground seem to bounce targets.

Welcome to the forum. I don't know the answers to your questions but we love seeing pics of finds!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I don't know the answers to your questions but we love seeing pics of finds!
    Thanks Daddydigger for the welcome.

Welcome to the forum! I also don't know the answers, but my Minelab CTX and AT Pro both do similar. I can usually tell on the CTX if it is aluminum slaw vs. silver, but I did it no matter what. Hate to be wrong.

I am with you on the pull tab signal, but still haven't hit a ring yet. I have at least 1000 pull tabs this year and no rings other than cosmetic. Still have fun detecting though. One of these days, I will get surprised.

Regarding iron, I just recycle it. I had an old iron tool that was 75 pounds and I took it to the recycle place and got $4.12. Since our city just has us throw all metal/paper etc in the same bin, I just empty my pouch into the recycle bin when I get home.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Thanks badger325. I hit a park today, six inches down was rock but everything in the older portion must have been a drinking spot in the 60's to 70's. After I had enough I went to the recent part and made 15 cents and realized after, I should have started where I ended. Doing this really makes you think about and notice where people have been. So now if a tree looks like it's pushing 200 it's my first stop. If anyone has some advice, what do you do about sand in parks? This is the third time I got a strong signal and was looking for 10 minutes yet nothing was found.
    Last edited by Olivinetoothedcreeper; 11-11-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: question

Get to know your detector. Set up an area and bury different items 6" down and figure that out. Do silver, IHPs, old wheats, nail and silver together, nail and IHP together, nickels etc. The more you know about your detector the better.

I learned the AT Pro by digging every signal for the first 25 hours of use. I still "guess" what things will be and when in doubt, I dig. You do get surprised by things. I had the CTX3030 out and was getting a typical bottlecap signal (CTX users will know the jumpy 11/12- 31 thru 34 signal. I always dig these. Glad I did. Got a 5 1910s wheaties, 1 IHP and 1 V nickel spill. Made my day for sure.

Some signals get weird in the ground. Do you have a pinpointer? Sometimes when you cannot find something it might be something bigger deeper in the ground. I have picked up the main natural gas lines in the ground near my house (18" diameter iron pipe buried 24-36" down. It depends on soil type, moisture in the ground etc.

All I can truly say is practice makes almost perfect in this hobby. Even when you "know it all", things still surprise you. That is why this hobby is so fun.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

I do have a pinpointer. I got burned on amazon with a product advertised as bounty hunter though when I got it was fuming. Everything down to the package minus the name was made to look similar to what I thought I was ordering. I kept it because it's so close to snowing I'd rather have something now. I notified amazon and posted a warning on the product page. Anyway, it still works from 1/4 to 1/2 inch. In public places I always to a sweep to determine where utilities may be buried. It's safe and probably saves you from an angry groundskeeper. I'll have test out some hand me downs from grandparents. The first time I was made aware of them my eyes went wide when the dime rolls were full of Mercuries(mostly 40's) and a few other goodies.

I'm glad you joined up and it sounds like you are well on your way to addiction, soon you'll never go anywhere without judging your surroundings for detectability.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome to the forum (and addiction) and looking forward to seeing your finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thanks guys. By recent finds I'd think Canada invaded Wny in the 1970's. Not a big deal but I dug up a 1969 Canadian quarter yesterday and can't believe how well it looked after being six inches down for so long. I think they're made out mostly nickel?

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Hiya and welcome aboard. Good group here and I'm sure they will make you feel at home!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Thank you Leslie. My folks visited back in the 90's and drove around most of the area. Are the locals still having problems with foreign Cod fishing boats? Anyway it sounded from them a friendly and interesting place.