Thread: Hunt of a lifetime…part 2! Another Morgan, Seated!

Hunt of a lifetime…part 2! Another Morgan, Seated!

Back in June I found a spot where I pulled a Seated HalfDime, Seated Dime and a Morgan Dollar from. A hunt I will NOT soon forget. I decided not to go back to the spot and hunt it hard until I could bring my old hunting buddy who rarely is able to get out to detect any more due to his new business. Last week he came up to see his family and also spend a day with me detecting. I picked him up early and we planned to detect all day long.

Arriving at the spot I gave him the quick tour. After an hour I found only a 1902 Indian but it was in great shape. Then I found a bucket lister…a 12-24 signal yielded my first fatty indian! 1860! Soon after that I got a 12-27 signal that turned out to be an old button.I need your help ID-ing it. It has an eagle and shield on it and“Excelsior” below it BUT what seems odd is that there is no back mark. Maybe it is a replica? Also pictured is an anchor button with an iron shank on it…kinda thinking that it might not be too old? Again your thoughts about these are welcome.

Name:  Fatty.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  ButtonF.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  51.9 KB
    Name:  ButtonB.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  112.2 KB
    We had been there since 8am and it was now after 1pm and I asked Micah if he wanted to grab some lunch and move onto another spot. He had not found anything except for a couple wheaties. But he wanted to stick it out another hour or so and what a great decision that was! I was about 25 yards away and he came over to me and asked me to look at some thing in his hole. As I approached he said that it was deep, big, round and silvery! I was thinking maybe an old quarter or half….NOPE it was another MORGAN DOLLAR! He said it was a terrible signal but consistent enough to cut a plug and see what was below. This one beat mine by a year…1881! It was about 50 yards from where I dug mine. I was so glad that he found it! Travelling all the way from Tennessee was now worth it! If I had found it he would have put a Lecshe in my back and buried me in the hole where the Morgan was.
    Name:  Micahs.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  56.0 KB

We stayed there for a couple more hours and I dug 4 moreIndians…1873, 1885, 1904 and 1905. All of them were pretty corroded. Micah found an 1879 indian.

Name:  tribe.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  77.2 KB

As the sun set I realized that I had not dug a silver yetand so we decided to jump over to another spot that I thought might have a silver. I visited this spot earlier in the summer and found a couple wheats so I knew it was old enough for silver.So we get out of the car and we decided to just cherry pick the high tones…I did not want to waste time digging wheaties. 3 minutes in and I get a nice high tone and sure enough I see a silver dime in the hole!It ended up being a 1945 merc! It was now dark and we decided to give it 15 minutes more before heading home. 5m inutes later I tell Micah that I have another nice high tone. I cut the plug and scoop out some dirt and in my pile I get a great 12-46/12-47 signal. I finally find it (remember its dark out) and I know I have a silver quarter. I walk over to him and turn on the light on my phone I see the back….I was in SHOCK! It turns out to be an 1876 Seated Quarter!!!! What a thrill and now we have to leave!
    Name:  SeatedDF.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  SeatedDB.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  60.4 KB
    When this coin was dropped it was in great condition but 130+ years in the ground gave it a heavy tarnish. I could barely read the date.I decided to try a couple things to get ridof the tarnish but nothing worked. I then decided that since it was not worth much and that I was not selling it and that I really wanted to see the date that I would use a little spit and aluminum foil. Wow that tarnish came off quick! Under it the silver was pitted severely. Im not sure I would do that again but it is what it is now.
    Name:  Seated CF.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  Seated CB.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  88.7 KB
    On Saturday we both met up at a park near where he was staying. We planned to detect for a couple hours before he headed back to Tennessee. I ended up with 1946 Rosie and a 1942 Merc and he found a nice 1924 merc.

Name:  3silvers.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  71.9 KB

I’m betting Micah will be moving up here in the next year or so!
    Thanks for looking! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 11-09-2016 at 11:03 AM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    WOW, that is some spot. Nice of you to share the finds with an old buddy. Good luck on future hunts there WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Wow, awesome finds. Two Morgans out the same spot
    Good luck on your next visit there!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great to be able to hunt with an old friend. Some super finds.....congrats on all those keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thats an incredible set of finds! I won't even let myself hope to find a Morgan or trade dollar, and only a slight hope of a seated quarter or even a fatties Just amazing, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Now THAT is a mind blowing hunt!

So many old coins, and ones that are seldom found too. I love that Morgan Dollar!

I don't blame you for removing the black sulfide from the seated quarter, I would have done the same thing. I think it looks fine. Great find!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Amazing Jared! You'll not soon forget this hunt!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great hunt there Bucknut !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow !! what a plethora of great coins and relics . Huge to congrats to your friend for the Morgan recovery and your seated . I like the NY. officer's button and from its revers assume its just before 1900 in age . very nice button !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Outstanding! Congrats on all the great finds!!!!
    White's V3i & MX Sport TRX Pinpointer

That looks like a great day of detecting! Super finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Just incredible, Bucknut. That's an entire season of finds for some of us. Wow!!!!!!!! Congrats.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales