Thread: Nice Autumn weather + Good Company = Great Detecting!

Nice Autumn weather + Good Company = Great Detecting!

Hey Diggers,

Yesterday I met up with Digger Don for a great day of detecting. We met at a town that is about 1/2 way between us. We hunted 5 yards. Of course all the best finds came at the last house! At first it seemed like one of those days where you start to wonder if your machine is even working correctly! No coins deeper than 3 or 4 inches and all clad. We jumped from house to house with only a wheat cent each to show for our troubles.

At the 3rd house I got one wheat cent and finally a screamer at only 2 inches. I was very happy to see a silver ring with a musical treble clef motif around it.

The 4th house started out very slow. The front yard was full of roots and I was thinking it may have been detected before due to the lack of signals. Just as we were about to give up I realized there was a pretty good sized back yard too. Turns out the back yard was full of signals! My second dig was a silver Rosie! I was finding a lot of memorial cents and started skipping them hoping for a deeper and higher tone target. I got another 12-44 signal at 2 inches and for some reason decided to dig it. Imagine my surprise to find another silver Rosie (on edge).

At the 5th and final house of the day I found a wheat cent 6 inches deep. I skipped a couple 12-38 signals that were only an inch or two deep since these are usually zinc pennies. After 30 minutes of no coins I was so bored I decided to dig one of those 12-38 signals at only an inch deep. Imagine what a shock it was to pop out a beautiful green indian head cent! I then back-tracked and dug every one of the shallow 12-38 signals I had skipped. Can you believe every single one of them was an indian head cent? One was even a double (yes at 2 inches deep)! In total I found 6 and Don found 2. I also found a 1940 mercury dime at 6 inches. We didn't get to finish the yard because it got dark but thankfully we have an invitation to return. Here is some pictures and thanks for looking. Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great finds! Just goes to show that you, dig any good signal at a new site until you get a feel for the layout. You just never know if it's been filled or even scraped down in the past.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice going, Dave! I wish I could see the other notes on that ring, I could tell you the tune. Congrats on some nice digging!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Nice going, Dave! I wish I could see the other notes on that ring, I could tell you the tune. Congrats on some nice digging!
    Here you go drew!
    Name:  IMG_1327.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  44.7 KBName:  IMG_1328.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  42.4 KBName:  IMG_1329.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  40.8 KB
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Just an arpeggiated G chord, assuming that first note is a D.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

hey Dave, I had a great time yesterday. Couldn't have asked for a better day.
    And your welcome, If I hadn't got that two indian scouting party out of the way, you might never have captured the rest of the tribe. LOL
    That ring cleaned up nice too. Here are my two plus a green wheat Name:  11-13-16 015.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  79.5 KB
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great hunt guys! Love those Indians!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats on a successful hunt, Dave! Don't see holed Indians too often. It's nice to see a 1909 too, they don't show up much.

That ring is really special, I've never seen one like it. Wonderful!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Six IH's is a great hunt, topped with all the silvers...fantastic.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

"must touch the green indians" great finds Dave , my Daughter is a musician and would love the ring too . very cool !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Grats on that nice ring and those IH. I do wonder why that one was holed. Pockets had been invented by then and it's def off center for the front or the back to be worn as a pendant. You mentioned about all IH. I was flabbergasted by finding 19 wheats on a small area from the side and front of a house and only 2 copper pennies. Usually it's the other way around.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Elite Member
    Great finds Dave. I just got back from Nashville and that would be a popular ring down there. Great finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Nice finds, cool ring too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token