Thread: Post "Giving" hunt

Post "Giving" hunt

I ventured out Friday with Donnie B. and Trooper Bri in the cold drizzly rain ( seems like Donnie brings the rain whenever he comes up ) . We had a good time despite the weather as we had about 4 colonial cellar sites to investigate . As soon as we get to the first site my large sef coil doesn't want to air balance which is very odd . I go through all the steps to get it straight but to no avail its got a problem . Donnie , steps up and says he had an extra 6x10 with his other machine my hero for the day So I put that one on and not 5 minutes later i get a mixed iron signal near the cellar "lip" . Now a "mixed iron" signal to me is a an iron grunt or chatter with that faint chirp or bright tail end "tone" sound , its hard to describe but using a machine long enough you can definitely pick up the nuances . I knew it was something decent laying in the iron and about 4 inches down a large green copper pops out .A few feet away i get another iron mixed signal and hit half of a brass shoe buckle frame again mixed in the nails of the lip .

It seemed all the targets were right around the cellar hole , targets all masked or partially hidden by the iron . As it was very quiet further out so someone detected it but wasn't very good in the iron or had a machine with limited discrimination features.

The next site was an area that looked good for a cabin or mill site , it was a large over grown set of fields and stone walls . Targets were very sparse but i did get an old axe head (probably from the 1920's) and a very unexpected find. It gave me a great signal +77 but pretty shallow (2 1/2 inches ) and when i got it out Is convinced i was looking at the back of a barer dime.I was pleasantly surprised to see a seated liberty . Apparently it was just a random drop and there were really no other finds around and we moved on .

The next site was a very secluded hill top cellar that looked like it was just loaded with goodies . But after 15 minutes of swinging it was apparent that it had been very heavily detected as I found no period type targets .

By this time is getting past 1pm and since turning out clocks back daylight is pretty short . so we hit one other site that also looked great with lots of walls , fields and animal pens. The cellar looked good but again some had beaten us to it , all i got was modern junk metal and lead scraps or shotgun shells .
    I want to thank Donnie for stepping up and saving my day with the extra coil .

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice Dan!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Sorry about the coil problems, but glad you got to use a loaner. You got some nice goodies, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

A very decent hunt, Dan! Any idea what the copper is?

Congrats on the seated dime!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Nice Dan!!
    Thanks Ron , its good to see you over here sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Sorry about the coil problems, but glad you got to use a loaner. You got some nice goodies, congrats!
    Chris , I'm still not sure what the issue is with the large 10x12 butterfly it was working great when i took it off the machine a few weeks ago . Most my programs on my DFX are for the 6x10 eclipse that Donnie loaned me so it was like reuniting with an old friend and I forgot how good that coil was in the iron ! Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    A very decent hunt, Dan! Any idea what the copper is?
    Congrats on the seated dime!
    Tony the copper is a very worn King George II (1740 TO 1760) although I can't get a clear date the type of bust (old head) confirms the approximate age . I doubt it will be much to look at but i'll post a picture once its cleaned . Thanks

Getting what you did get is fantastic. Nice seated and congrats on that copper. What would you have done without that spare coil?????
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

" its hard to describe but using a machine long enough you can definitely pick up the nuances " soooo true! I'm glad you guys got out! I've been sidelined with a bad knee for a week. I hope to get out soon. Good looking seated Dan! How did the boys do?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Getting what you did get is fantastic. Nice seated and congrats on that copper. What would you have done without that spare coil?????
    Al , I probably would of been a lousy spectator , the culprit is the end of the coil wire plug . The wires are a bit frayed and grounding out under the plug and should be an easy soldering job . Thanks Al

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    " its hard to describe but using a machine long enough you can definitely pick up the nuances " soooo true! I'm glad you guys got out! I've been sidelined with a bad knee for a week. I hope to get out soon. Good looking seated Dan! How did the boys do?
    Drew , my knee was bothering me after being cold and wet all day (getting old ain't for sissies !) Brian picked up a King George II , a few buttons and most of a shoe buckle . The sites were hard hit and Donnie got a couple of buttons and buckle bits . Thanks Drew hope to see you out and about soon.

Dan

"pick up nuances" ?? Dan I think some years back you and that DFX did a Vulcan mind meld and became a single entity.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    "pick up nuances" ?? Dan I think some years back you and that DFX did a Vulcan mind meld and became a single entity.
    Thanks Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice nabs on the seated dime and old copper Dan! Man, you guys always give me hope in pulling sneakers out of the iron at my old sites. Great job. Not having a very high-end machine, I'm reluctant to put too much discrimination on in the heavy iron, so I just run all metal. A pain on the ears, but that method seems to give me best results with the F2. A 4" coil also helps. HH!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Nice nabs on the seated dime and old copper Dan! Man, you guys always give me hope in pulling sneakers out of the iron at my old sites. Great job. Not having a very high-end machine, I'm reluctant to put too much discrimination on in the heavy iron, so I just run all metal. A pain on the ears, but that method seems to give me best results with the F2. A 4" coil also helps. HH!

John
    John , the 4 inch coil must help immensely in the iron. you must pull out some good things from the cellar lips with it ! Thanks John

Why to weed your way through all of that annoying cellar hole iron Dan! 👌All that iron is the reason that LC was still there I'm sure.
    Congrats on the late season goodie! 😆

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Nice score on that copper and seated, Dan. It wasn't that bad on Friday when I got out, but not one site had anything hiding for me to find. Bet it felt nostalgic to hover the cellar lip. I don't think there was ever a time when you and I were out that you came close to the cellar lip. Im glad the 4th time was a charm for a small coil to work with my machine. Now I gotta get back to certain sites that I knew had a lot hiding. It does help. Good thing there was a backup. A new reason to have someone along (as long as the machine is similar )

[QUOTE=OxShoeDrew;209188]" its hard to describe but using a machine long enough you can definitely pick up the nuances " soooo true! I'm glad you guys got out! I've been sidelined with a bad knee for a week. [/QUOTE]

On the long hikes over 5mi total my knee bothers me too. I think from other machines and their nuances, it was a little easier to find those nuances which the newer machine has, and the pitfalls as well.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 11-30-2016 at 02:46 PM.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

WTG on saving the hunt Donnie! Nothing worse than the hunt ending before it's begun. Those are some great saves Dan!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album