Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet ol' gal

Sweet ol' gal

Got out today with Donnie B. again back to where he got the fugio last Sunday , we hit it last week for only a couple of hours . He definitely wanted to go back and I had eyed a particular field that I wanted to hit as I suspected it had goodies hiding around . There are two cellars at this place here is the larger one .

As soon as I got into the field I hit a target , this was strange because every time I stuck the pin pointer in the hole it went off but nothing was at the bottom of the hole then after a few confusing seconds I see it suspended on a tiny root a watch winder

Now that Lodge Scent revealed my secret coil configuration . I expect him and all of you to be digging more shoe buckles ! Here is the first one Jeff just a frame

Not far from away of the buckle I get another great signal and out pops trigger guard

The find of the day was this eye opener , while I have many dimes and half dimes this is my first seated quarter

My total finds with the items pictured another shoe buckle frame (relax Jeff this one is pretty twisted up and broken ) a few buttons , a drawer pull plate , a brass kettle "lug" , couple of spoon bowls , a dropped musket ball and a 1947 dog tag license .

here is the cleaned up seated I added two sets of pictures , one to let you see it cleaned up and the other to show off the detail with a side light

and here is the reverse

I hope you all can still get out and swing , this might have been my last hunt due to a snow storm on the way here . Hopefully it won't be too many inches , stay warm my friends and thanks for reading.

Dan
    Last edited by del; 12-11-2016 at 07:41 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great hunt Dan. Congrats on those lovely finds !
    I <3 colonial relics!

Wowzers Dan!! That seated quarter is in AU!!
    I've yet to get a seated quarter. Or a half dime.
    Congrats on the seated!!
    The trigger guard is a great find too if you ask me.
    Glad you got out too!! The storm you guys are about to get is here right now. So far we've got about 5 or 6 inches, and that's on top of the 5 we already had on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

That old silver is sharp Dan. Congrats! I like that trigger guard as well. Great hunt. Yes, I saw the buckle frame
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Great hunt Dan. Congrats on those lovely finds !
    Thanks Isaac , I heard you had a great day too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Wowzers Dan!! That seated quarter is in AU!!
    I've yet to get a seated quarter. Or a half dime.
    Congrats on the seated!!
    The trigger guard is a great find too if you ask me.
    Glad you got out too!! The storm you guys are about to get is here right now. So far we've got about 5 or 6 inches, and that's on top of the 5 we already had on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Yuck 5 to 6 more inches That is awful Tim , Thanks sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    That old silver is sharp Dan. Congrats! I like that trigger guard as well. Great hunt. Yes, I saw the buckle frame
    Thanks Jeff , I honestly don't know what it is with the shoe buckle frames

Wow, great finds but that quarter is a screamer! In very nice condition. Back in 1856 a laborer made 10 cents an hour on a 10-hour day so this represents a 1/4 of a day's wages. A bricklayer made 12 1/2 cents an hour so this would be 2-hours wages for him. Just imagine if we got paid for 2 hours work today with a single coin the size of a quarter! You would sure hate to drop it in the yard. Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting your first seated quarter! HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Incredible finds, that seated is awesome! You sure don't see those dug often, much less in that condition! That trigger guard is cool, but a pre-hung watch winder is unique first sure.
    That storm dropped a lot more in Wisconsin, we got about 8 or 9 inches so far and it's still coming down. Trying to figure out how I'm going to get out swinging in the morning. Water maybe? Glad, and keep those finds coming
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

A big congrats on the bucket lister,Dan... and it's stunning! I hope you didn't get much snow last night.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Wow, great finds but that quarter is a screamer! In very nice condition. Back in 1856 a laborer made 10 cents an hour on a 10-hour day so this represents a 1/4 of a day's wages. A bricklayer made 12 1/2 cents an hour so this would be 2-hours wages for him. Just imagine if we got paid for 2 hours work today with a single coin the size of a quarter! You would sure hate to drop it in the yard. Thanks for sharing and congrats on getting your first seated quarter! HH, Dave.
    that's some great info Dave and really puts things into perspective doesn't it , thank you sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Incredible finds, that seated is awesome! You sure don't see those dug often, much less in that condition! That trigger guard is cool, but a pre-hung watch winder is unique first sure.
    That storm dropped a lot more in Wisconsin, we got about 8 or 9 inches so far and it's still coming down. Trying to figure out how I'm going to get out swinging in the morning. Water maybe? Glad, and keep those finds coming
    Chris , I hope you can at least water hunt and thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    A big congrats on the bucket lister,Dan... and it's stunning! I hope you didn't get much snow last night.
    Thank you Drew , its raining right now but looks like we got about an inch , hopefully "we dodged a bullet" weather -wise !

That is a spectacular example of a Seated Quarter, Dan! One of the nicest I've seen!

The detail is amazing. No doubt that it was dropped in 1856 or soon after. Simply gorgeous!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

It was a great day digging with you yesterday Danny! Your coil must still be smoking! It was on fire! Congrats on the sweet bucket lister Seated Quarter and it's in AU condition!
    XP Deus

Wow that quarter is BEAUTIFUL!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That Seated Quarter is exquisite. Great job Dan!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That is a spectacular example of a Seated Quarter, Dan! One of the nicest I've seen!

The detail is amazing. No doubt that it was dropped in 1856 or soon after. Simply gorgeous!

Thank you very much Tony , to me it seems like the silver coins found at colonial sites are either very very worn or very crisp looking . I've got more that are one extreme or the other but few in between .

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    It was a great day digging with you yesterday Danny! Your coil must still be smoking! It was on fire! Congrats on the sweet bucket lister Seated Quarter and it's in AU condition!
    It was quite a shocker Donnie , I'm glad you were there to share the excitement and day with ! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Wow that quarter is BEAUTIFUL!
    Thank you sir , I admit I at first thought I hit it with my bowie knife . The roots were terrible and the relic shovel was having problems and getting sloppy glancing off many crisscrossing the hole trying to chop them. Just glad I didn't .

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    That Seated Quarter is exquisite. Great job Dan!!
    Thank you very much Don .

WOW! What a coin thats a nice one. You killed it on that site.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Great assortment of finds Dan and happy for your on your first seated Q! Way to go. You and Donnie B. are bringing each other some good luck recently! We're locked down currently with a solid snowpack. Perhaps we can get a mid-winter melt here at some point, but until then just some cleaning of the summer finds/electrolysis etc.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Sweet Ol' Gal indeed!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

on that seated quarter, it's a real beauty. Its also a coin that still eludes my collection. Are you going to leave the watchwinder on the root?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    WOW! What a coin thats a nice one. You killed it on that site.
    Yeah I had a great run of luck there , Thanks "cd"

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great assortment of finds Dan and happy for your on your first seated Q! Way to go. You and Donnie B. are bringing each other some good luck recently! We're locked down currently with a solid snowpack. Perhaps we can get a mid-winter melt here at some point, but until then just some cleaning of the summer finds/electrolysis etc.

John
    John we just got about 5 inches of the "yucky stuff" so it may have been my last hunt of the year ! Thank you sir and stay warm up there

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Sweet Ol' Gal indeed!!
    Thanks Ron !

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    on that seated quarter, it's a real beauty. Its also a coin that still eludes my collection. Are you going to leave the watchwinder on the root?
    Al , I had to cut the root to fit the winder in my pouch but I thought the picture of it on the root was very odd ! Thanks

That's a nice find, Dan. Grats on finally getting a seated quarter after... 15 yr detecting?? I can no longer say that was one coin I had that you didn't. Lol... not to say it like its a competition... but to say that even tho I haven't made a huge name for myself yet, I could still say there are some milestones I have made that the big dogs haven't.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.