Thread: Discriminating PI detector kit with VDI...thoughts?

Discriminating PI detector kit with VDI...thoughts?

Hi all,
    I've been wanting to try out a PI detector for a while but the cost of buying anything decent is prohibitive right now. I had thought about trying to rent one to see how it goes, but haven't had any luck locally finding one. Only out west in gold country, and even then they are $50 plus a day.
    Thinking outside the box so to speak, and being technically minded I had thought about a DIY kit that I've seen around. As it turns out most of those are very simple, basic units. Basically like a bit higher power pinpointer. But I found one during some long hard research that may be a good affordable compromise with a few surprising and innovative features such as discrimination and a VDI. Seems the East European countries are the places to look for the best tech lately like the NEL coils everyone swears by. So here's the eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332060418699

I've been corresponding with the seller and the few drawbacks are that it's works only with a mono coil, and it doesn't have great depth on coin size targets. Basically comes down to a quarter size target air testing about 12 inches with an 11 inch coil. The discrimination mode loses about 10% on depth, but I guess modes could be toggled as needed before digging too deep, yet still get max depth. I would also guess in soil or sand that depth would probably increase at least 50% like vlf detectors do. Another thought of course would be a larger coil for depth as well, and the experimentation I think would be fun.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-16-2016 at 02:21 AM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I've never seen a pulse detector with a VDI (that was very accurate anyways) , your main issue would be "mocking "it up into a water proof housing or case (either a chest mount or on a shaft). Some dealers might have a "floor model" you can barrow , I feel the same way as I wouldn't want to fork over 800 to 1500 on a machine and decide I don't like or want it .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I have a pulse machine and have regularly pulled bullets from 18" - 20" with a 15 inch coil. That said, I never use it unless I am in mineralized ground.
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    I have a pulse machine and have regularly pulled bullets from 18" - 20" with a 15 inch coil. That said, I never use it unless I am in mineralized ground.
    Yes, I see you have the GPX 4800, which is right where I would like to be. In another thread I had mentioned that I had hoped to dventually acquire a GPX 4500 now they have been re-released and improved some, plus are half the price of the GPX 5000. The goal is to use on beaches for extreme depth or sensitivity to small gold and chains around mineralized sand. Also in fields with a minimum of trash, but have the need for extreme depth due to plowing or fill dirt moved in.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Update: I've been in contact with the kit designer in Bulgaria and found there is a new and improved kit coming out very soon. It's more sensitive, much deeper, and they claim better discrimination and VDI. I've also been learning a lot about coil design and have had discussions with the engineer about various designs and configurations. Kind of kicking myself a bit, looks like they may adopt my design as a future offering.
    Equipment: