Thread: A little bit short

A little bit short

This is for all you E-Trac users out there.I live in the state of Iowa. Silver coins are not the easiest to find here. Nothing like all you hunters on the east coast. I set a goal for myself when I received my E-Trac on December 18, 2011. My goal was 500 silvers in 5 years. Sadly I came up a bit short. 473! Not just too shabby for an old man in Iowa! I have worked my goal as the weather permitted, but remember there is a lot of down time here in Iowa. I have always considered myself a bit of a Huckleberry Finn, always looking for the next adventure. And my E-Trac has given me 473 adventures, and each one of them coins was an adventure on its own. Thank you Mine-lab. One quick story for you before I sign off, one that I will never forget! I was doing an old park from the 1800's not far from my hometown. In this park I have taken Indian heads, Buffalo's and V's. Also early Merc's, Barber dimes and even six seated dimes in the past three years. One day while hunting I got a reading of 12-37 on the ol' E-Trac. Indian head, right??? WRONG! I cut the plug and I looked in and saw a silver dime. A 1908 barber dime, with a beautiful full liberty on her! So that me thinking, "there is something rotten in Denmark here"! So then I rechecked the hole with my Sun-Ray probe and it sounded just like a bullfrog! 12-12 on the screen. So then I moved the dirt around and found the bullfrog. It was a 1914 Buffalo nickle. This is just one of my 473 stories. I hope you enjoyed hearing it as much as I enjoyed finding them. There is not one day that goes by that I'm not looking for another adventure!

P.S. to Tony 2 CENT: I just found a message you sent me last July. Somehow I missed it. Sure hope we can get together next year to swap some stories while we hunt on an adventure! I will give you a call.

2016 silver coin count 62

Awesome story and congrats on the 473 silvers! Sounds to me that there's alot more silver hiding in the ground in Iowa than your letting on to!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rgorman View Post
    P.S. to Tony 2 CENT: I just found a message you sent me last July. Somehow I missed it. Sure hope we can get together next year to swap some stories while we hunt on an adventure! I will give you a call.
    Hi Ron! I got your phone message last night. I was going to give you a call tonight. Great to hear from you!

That's a terrific post! Congrats on all those silvers! I got my E-Trac just a few months before you in February of 2011. What a great machine it is.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats on your success! 500 silvers is a hard goal to set and you may have been short but it sounds like you are not disappointed at all. Congrats again! Can you post some pics? We love pics!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice post! It helps to keep things in perspective as well as related to why Moar of us got hooked on the hobby in the first place. It's not as much the individual treasures, but the whole collection. It's of treasures and stories, trials and tribulations, hopes and dreams met or not, but in the end it's the collection of stories that combined make the book. Best part is that as long as we are still adding more chapters, the book isn't finished.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Elite Member
    Sounds like I wrote that. I started back up around the same time and tend to set goals each year as well. Great summery and I don't think there is too much disappointment with 400+ silver. Did a lot of Pheasant Hunting in Iowa but never got around to metal detecting there. Thx for sharing WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Well you might have come up short on your silver count but not on the stories. Thanks for posting, it was a great read.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Nice post! It helps to keep things in perspective as well as related to why Moar of us got hooked on the hobby in the first place. It's not as much the individual treasures, but the whole collection. It's of treasures and stories, trials and tribulations, hopes and dreams met or not, but in the end it's the collection of stories that combined make the book. Best part is that as long as we are still adding more chapters, the book isn't finished.
    Whoa! Now that's deep.

Hey Ron!
    Good to hear from ya! You may have missed your goal of 500, but look what you done trying to get there. You've amassed quite a collection of the shiny stuff!
    Congrats on your goodies!

Oh! If you ever see that Joe guy, tell him I say hey!
    Have a Merry Christmas over there on the other side of the river!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime