Thread: Year's best of 2016

Year's best of 2016

I want to wish everyone here the very best and a Merry Christmas ....
    My detecting year is now over as I am officially on vacation with family from the 27th to January 9th in Arizona . So I would like to share a few of my best finds of 2016.

2016 wasn't my best year but I had many firsts which is was pretty surprising since I have been doing this hobby for a considerable amount of time.

my firsts.....

A whole complete half to a powder flask , I can't tell you how many small pieces I've recovered over the years but was happy to finally get one .

My oldest coin ever was this 1655 French Liard , not much to look at but still a " big find" to me

now on to my best finds for 2016.....

Without a doubt my best colonial shoe buckle was this small oddly ornate "knobbed" styled one and made it a unique find .

Although I had quite a few "good looking" large cents this year this 1819 was one of the sharpest front and back!

My best copper though was this Machin Mill's King George III counterfeit

And finally my seated quarter (my first) great way to end 2016

I hope to see a few of every ones "best of 2016" !!

Please post them , Thanks

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You had a fantastic year Dan. Everytime I see one of your posts, I think about coming back out by you guys and trying to dig some New England history.
    Being a coin guy, I love the coppers and that seated quarter I'm still waiting for my first.

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas, Don
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I agree with Don, great year with lots of great finds. I too would love to try east coast detecting sometime and go for those colonial finds for once. I'd kill for a fugio! Maybe we should try to organize a tour of the colonies hunt for us midwestern folk?
    Anyway Dan, happy holidays and merry x-mas!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Thanks Don , Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    I agree with Don, great year with lots of great finds. I too would love to try east coast detecting sometime and go for those colonial finds for once. I'd kill for a fugio! Maybe we should try to organize a tour of the colonies hunt for us midwestern folk?
    Anyway Dan, happy holidays and merry x-mas!
    Chris you guys organize a group and i'll personally lead the tour and get some permissions to some really old fields , it would be a lot of fun !

Dan, some great finds this year. That Machln Mills counterfeit is a beauty and your Seated quarter is a killer. The colonial shoe buckle is surely one of the best I have seen, still waiting for my 1st complete one.

Enjoy the family vacation in AZ and looking forward to seeing your 2017 finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Dan, you had a great year of detecting my friend. Congratulations on that unique buckle, it's beautiful and you did such a great job saving the iron bits. Congrats on the Machin Mills, it's gorgeous! That 1655 Liard has been waiting on you for 361 years! I'm very glad I was with you when you found your first Seated Quarter! That was a day to remember! The best part of my 2016 Year's Best was that I found all of these finds hunting with you! My Fugio, My Monogrammed Dandy and my Mourning Button...............Name:  15267561_10207813102949126_2927639709405161683_n.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  48.8 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  38.2 KBName:  b.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  46.4 KB
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Thanks Don , Chris

Chris you guys organize a group and i'll personally lead the tour and get some permissions to some really old fields , it would be a lot of fun !
    Sounds awesome! Don't know what 2017 holds for any plans yet, but it sounds like a dream hunt to this guy! Years back I spent a lot of time working in the East, mostly NJ, MD. NY, CT, PA, and RI. Even spent a winter in Maine. Too bad I wasn't into detecting back then. I see so many great east coast field hunts on YouTube pulling out those great buckles, lots of largies and half cents, and even the occasional fugio or early silver. Each and every one on this guy's bucket list! Love to see those early cellar holes too, bet they must be amazing glimpses of American history too.
    So how about it guys, road trip?
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Dan, you had a great year of detecting my friend. Congratulations on that unique buckle, it's beautiful and you did such a great job saving the iron bits. Congrats on the Machin Mills, it's gorgeous! That 1655 Liard has been waiting on you for 361 years! I'm very glad I was with you when you found your first Seated Quarter! That was a day to remember! The best part of my 2016 Year's Best was that I found all of these finds hunting with you! My Fugio, My Monogrammed Dandy and my Mourning Button...............Name:  15267561_10207813102949126_2927639709405161683_n.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  48.8 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  38.2 KBName:  b.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  46.4 KB
    All very unique or great finds Donnie , I was happy to share in your excitement on all those finds and hope to share in some more next year my friend ! Thanks for sharing the finds with us .

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Sounds awesome! Don't know what 2017 holds for any plans yet, but it sounds like a dream hunt to this guy! Years back I spent a lot of time working in the East, mostly NJ, MD. NY, CT, PA, and RI. Even spent a winter in Maine. Too bad I wasn't into detecting back then. I see so many great east coast field hunts on YouTube pulling out those great buckles, lots of largies and half cents, and even the occasional fugio or early silver. Each and every one on this guy's bucket list! Love to see those early cellar holes too, bet they must be amazing glimpses of American history too.
    So how about it guys, road trip?
    I know a few guys out your way who would probably love to come back up for another crack at some colonial finds ! your all welcome up anytime !

Thanks much Dan! Have to see if maybe we can get a group trip organized
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    All very unique or great finds Donnie , I was happy to share in your excitement on all those finds and hope to share in some more next year my friend ! Thanks for sharing the finds with us .

I know a few guys out your way who would probably love to come back up for another crack at some colonial finds ! your all welcome up anytime !
    Well Dan, now that you mentioned it, Alec , Hiluxyota and myself are coming back to Conneticut that last week of March again this year. If you have any free time on your hands, we would love to get together again. This past spring was a blast!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

You had, yet another, impressive year Dan! Most of your finds are so much older than ours, it's hard to fathom.
    I'm always impressed with your posts. Even some of your so-so hunts produce some really old items including some sweet coins! Like these! Your Seated quarter is just outstanding! The counterfeit coin sure would've fooled me!
    Congrats on all of the beautiful items you've saved this year Dan!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what your able to get your coil over, and your hands on, this upcoming season! I'm sure it'll be nothing short of amazing!

And if there's a general time frame some folks from here are planning a trip to the New England area let me know. I'm going somewhere soon! I've got a round trip ticket here in the continental US to go detecting from the wife I've gotta cash in from my birthday!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Those are some awesome finds Dan!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album