Thread: Original old 120 mm Bullseye problem.

Original old 120 mm Bullseye problem.

Ever since I put a new battery in my old Bullseye it has been falsing on me to the point that it's life may be in jeopardy. It seems to be really sensitive to everything, if I bump it, or just put it in the hole it sounds off and vibrates, but it is not consistent so it is useless. Tonight it was falsing on a rock (which I put in my pouch to try at home) and, at home it decides the rock is not made of metal. I've almost pulled the trigger on a Garret Pro pointer twice over the last couple of weeks, but always thought my bullseye was 'good enough'. Now I just don't know anymore. The repeated falsing is just not fun for me. Is it possible this pinpointer is also sensitive to emi? Would the Garrett be a major upgrade or just another headache? Sorry for the rambling..just a rough and frustrating night last evening.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

Re: Original old 120 mm Bullseye problem.

yup i've been there with that problem on those bullseye's , i've heard good things with the garret pinpointer as well as the vibraprobe 580 . i can only comment on the vibraprobe as its the one i went with and its a great pinpointer , no on or off buttons or sensitivity switches to mess with , it gets good depth for a pinpointer and its water proof too.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Don't walk,run and get that Garrett pro pointer,it beats them all hands down,Dave
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

Time for a upgrade
    Today is my day

First thing to check: The 9v battery connector. The contacts spread open after awhile and the wires can break. Wiggle them and see if the pinpointer goes crazy.

Next, open it up and check the wires going to the pins where they are soldered. They are enamel insulated magnet wire type wires and you want to check to see if the insulation on the wires has worn through and they are touching.

If that's not it, try to poke the components and solder joints with the eraser end of a pencil. If you find one that causes the buzz when bumped then you may have just found a bad solder joint that needs to be retouched. That's what happened to mine.

RJ
    If you're ever around Dallas and want to do some treasure hunting give me a shout!

The Garrett Pro pointer is far and away the best handheld PP I have used. It simply has no faults. I don't believe you would regret buying one.
    Tomorrow should be a great day, provided nothing stops me from preventing it from not happening.

My BE II was falsing just like that. I opened it up and one of the wires was touching the other wire. I moved it so it wouldn't touch the other wire and it worked fine after that.

I do have some videos on some different pinpointers and how they tested different items. It is stickied on top of this section.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I love the old square boxy type 120's.. The newer ones are just a waste of space......
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Candidate Member

My bullseye does the same thing if I have a paper bottomed 9v battery in it, it doesnt make a tight connection because the slide cover pushes the paper in instead of pushing the battery tight and falses and beeps inconsistently. Drove me nuts til I figured it out. try a shim or put an all metal shell 9v. Hope this helps. HH
    Garrett GTP 1350

MOW, I have a old Bullseye as a back up PP. In the back of the Bullseye there is a trim pot that has a slot that can be adjusted to dial in the sensitivity. Put the bat in it and adjust it to a small coin or something . I have done it to mine several times though the years , Mine is at least 16 yrs old. I do use a Garrett PP now and it is a good unit but that old Bullseye has done me well though the years.H.H. Yazoo

years ago you had to hold your detector up in the air to pinpoint the garrets pro pointer is a godsend would not want to go without one ever again a lot of people have two one for a backup dennis