Thread: Knocking on doors

Candidate Member

Knocking on doors

I am new here and generally winging it when it comes to detecting. I was doing research on the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863 and found an old map. I was able to overlay the map onto a modern one and identify a place that might be worth detecting. I went onto the county's interactive land map and found the surrounding property owners. My question is this, would you go knock on a few doors to get permission? I'm not shy and wouldn't trespass so I think it's the way to go. I only worry that the area has already been hunted and might be wasting time but I have new gear and time off so I want to do something proactive. What do you think?

You're right. it probably has been pounded. But having said that, if I could get into a spot like that. I would be all over it. Nobody finds everything!!!
    Go for it & Good Luck!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

No spot has been hunted out, stuff keeps movin up and down, i say go for it
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

go for it it will hone your skills.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Candidate Member
    I did indeed go to my target spot and knocked on the door. It wasn't really their property I wanted access to but the one behind it. The adjacent property is vacant with no house and has a for sale sign. Any way, the nice lady whose door I knocked on kindly allowed me to poke around in her woods for a few hours. I found everything but what I was hoping to find but had a good time doing it. At one point I had a heart stopper when I thought I found a "civil war relic" and it turned out to be a 1954 toy pistol, lol! It was a HUBLEY Chief pistol that is in bad shape but fooled me when I was digging it out. I also found a couple large cast iron objects that I really don't have a clue as to what they could be. I went to a park later just to try to find a coin after all the trash I dug up (and it was a ton of trash) and I am pleased to report my first coins were found! Two dimes and a penny. Woot! I will try to post up some pics but figuring that out might take a bit. Not a bad day though.

congrats ! be careful this stuff can be habit forming.
    Trust in the Lord...

Candidate Member
    Name:  20161230_212431[1].jpg
Views: 161
Size:  45.6 KBName:  20161230_211557[1].jpg
Views: 161
Size:  61.3 KBName:  20161230_211636[1].jpg
Views: 165
Size:  54.6 KBName:  20161230_211807[1].jpg
Views: 164
Size:  41.7 KBName:  20161230_190122[1].jpg
Views: 165
Size:  56.0 KBHere's some of the stuff I found today. I have a full bucket of crap that I didn't take pictures of ( I'll spare you) but these are the highlights lol. The 2nd photo is of the strange balls stuck to the large iron hunk. I have no clue without cleaning it up.

Be persistent with the permission you seek. It's true....nobody gets it all.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Candidate Member
    I think I figured out the hunk of iron....it's a cannon ball. I realized it's rounded on the back side and the balls are put into the cannon ball before the other ingredients and fuse. It looks like several of the cross section photos I found online. pretty darn cool!

Wow, is it a CW era cannon ball?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

if thats what that is you need to go beat that spot to death. Thats a interesting piece.
    Trust in the Lord...

Candidate Member
    I will indeed go back. I will bring my brother and nephew as well and we will try to find all that we can. None of us have any real experience and I'm sure it will be tough but it will be worth it to find even the smallest thing. The entirety of that area has been developed, paved over, or destroyed. I feel like I or someone like me needs to get in there and find all that we can before it gets a house or 4 built on it.

Candidate Member
    Yes it is a CW era cannon ball.
    Last edited by micmccon; 01-01-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: RepetItive