Thread: Barbers and SLQ! Old silver!

Barbers and SLQ! Old silver!

I have had so many memorable hunts this year and yesterday I had another one! I decided to visit the place where my friend and I found the Morgan and the Seated Quarter at about 7 weeks ago. We have had about 10 inches of snow on the ground the last few weeks but over the last few days and especially yesterday the with the warm temps and winds the snow melted away. Work was also slow so I skipped out to my new favorite place with the hopes of one last great hunt for 2016.

I arrived at the spot and after about 30 minutes I came across a deep silver quarter signal. It turned out to be a smooth SLQ with an S mint mark. I was thrilled! Too bad that the date is gone because most of the S mint SLQ's are semi key dates.

10 minutes later I dug a nice 1916 Barber dime. The next silver I found was the 1916 D Barber Quarter. It was a mixed in with a lot of trash and coal bits. The signal was a 12-42 which is a wheatie signal so I was surprised when I saw the quarter sized coin in my pile. Then about 50 yards away I found a very worn Canadian Queen Victoria dime. I can see 18XX on it but that's about it...thought for a moment I had a seated dime though. Not pictured is a 1908 indian that I found...it is in awful shape...along with 14 Wheaties.

Name:  f.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  70.2 KB
    Name:  b.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  71.4 KB

I think this area had piles of coal stored here for the town's people to use for heating their homes back in the day and that is why many of the silvers here are so tarnished with that ugly sulfide residue. But these are not as bad off as the Seated Quarter I found earlier.

I think this is my last hunt here until the spring...although I bet I could skip out again later this week when the temps get back into the mid 30's. Hmmm tempting. My friend wants to come back up here in the spring for 3 days of detecting so if I do not get back out these finds will keep me warm all winter long.

Thanks for looking!
    Jared
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Wow, its great you could still get out. Great finds, and if that indeed was your last hunt it sure was a nice one. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Now that is a serious haul, Jared! Congratulations!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow, what a great way to end the season
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Wow! Very nice hunt to end the year!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Very nice set of finds! Hard to believe your Wheaties are a 12-42. On my CTX they usually show around 12-38 or so. For some reason the Barber quarters I found also read low. Just wondering how you dug through the frozen tundra though. The field I found the fatty and other early indians has finally been picked and I'm dying to hit it but the ground here is just a frozen block of mud.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Very nice set of finds! Hard to believe your Wheaties are a 12-42. On my CTX they usually show around 12-38 or so. For some reason the Barber quarters I found also read low. Just wondering how you dug through the frozen tundra though. The field I found the fatty and other early indians has finally been picked and I'm dying to hit it but the ground here is just a frozen block of mud.
    The ground here is NOT frozen. The snow we had earlier in the month made a great insulating blanket to keep the ground from freezing even though temps for a few days hovered around 0 degrees. I think that the Etrac always shows numbers just a touch higher than what the CTX shows on similar targets. Then you have to also remember that the older warn silvers tend to ring up lower than the less worn ones.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Lucky you! Here it rained hard and soaked the dirt. Then it dropped to around -15
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I'm glad that your snow melted enough that you could find such wonderful old coins! Those would make anyone's day!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice pile of silver!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Fantastic last hunt. Glad to see that you are (were) still able to get out. Thanks for the last of the year eye candy and hope 2017 produces some great coins for you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album