Thread: What percentage of finds do you give to landowners.

What percentage of finds do you give to landowners.

Some landowners ive come across dont care one hill of beans about what you find,others want to split and some want it all. Do you guys dig at places where the landowners want all the finds? I always try to look out for the landowners but it seems to get me into a place sometimes. It starts out hey just show me what you found and then I give them something and then its on from there the treasure bug hits and they want more or all of it. You guys ever experience this?
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

I don't think everyone will ever agree on this, but my opinion has always been that it's their property and they own everything that's in the ground. If they allow you to keep the finds then they are taking something that is their property and giving it to you for free.

I don't have a problem at all giving part or all of the finds to the property owner. I do like to take a photo of the finds first just to document them. I don't metal detect for profit, I just enjoy the experience of rescuing old coins and relics from the ground. If I get to keep the finds then that is an extra bonus.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I always offer to split the finds with them but no one has ever taken me up on the offer. I have given indian head cents or mercury dimes to the home owner before as a way of thanking them for their kindness.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I look out for the land owner Ive given confederate buttons to them spanish silver ,etc my last experience started out just show me and I gave and it changed to we want it all. I do hear what your saying Tony but in my mind it has to be 50/50 with the work involved. I dont sell my relics and enjoy digging history but I dont like being bound to give it all up . I know its their land and finds are theirs but my research and time has got to be worth something but hey thats just me and cant wait to see what others think too.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Def no one will agree, as Tony stated. There most likely is a law protecting one or the other and it depends on the state. Obvi it's a generalized law on something that is found and who lays claim to it. In CT, it belongs to whomever found it. That being said, would you really want to get legal involved for a few measly items? Would you want to hunt at a place where the homeowner would put up a fight for a few measly items? I've only had one place where the owner asked what was in it for him. One of the better places I have offered a few finds and showed him finds. He didn't care to have any. The majority of the time, like 99%, I wouldn't ever bother bringing it up. Recent was when the owner took a toy right away. Held onto it.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

I have given several finds to homeowners over the years as a sign of good faith. Those were good experiences for both of us. I have also had one homeowner ask to see what I had found and then, without saying a word, promptly stuck it in his pocket. Needless to say he didn't see everything I found on the property after that episode.

I have always looked at it from the standpoint that I am the one with hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in my machine and hobby. If I approach a homeowner and they want to keep the finds then I don't dig there. Landowners never think about the fact that most relics are rotting in the ground and really don't care for that matter. I have always been able to find multiple properties where the landowners don't care what I dig up as long as I don't leave holes all over their property. Those are the places I dig.
    XP Deus

Personally I don't do much for permission hunts, least not yet anyway partly because of such concerns. Way I figure, it should be treated the same as game hunting permissions. Owners don't pocket the pheasant you get or keep part of the deer you tag. Should be the same with detecting. The only exception I can imagine is if one uncovers an item of personal attributes to the owner or their family such as a family heirloom, locket with photo or a wedding ring. One other exception may be to the heritage of the site itself.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Make arrangements before hand. varies from place to place...I go one step further....aslways bring an extra detector and ask if they care to join me!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Last year I put together 2 small Riker displays for the 2 farms that I mainly detect. I didn't say anything just gave it to them. Both were quite impressed. They each had a musket ball, couple flat buttons, and a copper plus some other relics. I have only had one homeowner say that they want it all. So I replied not a problem but seeing that I have over $1800 invested in equipment and it will be my time an sweat it will be $30.00 per hour. Got the reaction I was expecting.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I like that hourly quote Al, I will have to remember that one!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I probably hit a hundred houses a year, maybe more. I think I only had one person ever ask to keep what I found. Most people really don't care.
    and if they do, I give it to them. ( unless of coarse, it's 5 dollar gold coin and they're in the house when I found it, LOL )
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos