Thread: Great stuff at the park today! But!

Great stuff at the park today! But!

Went to my local park today. Been the dozens of times with few great finds until today. About $6.25 in clad, a rabies dog tag, 1/4 a bucket of trash, this 10k gold ring w/ a design and this awesome 925 silver necklace with 4-925 silver charms and a sharks tooth on it.

All of a sudden the park manager comes over and says I can't dig in the fields. Only on the beach. Huh! Been there plenty and no problems before. He also informs me that if I find anything good, I have to turn it in. (at this time he doesn't know what I have found) I ask what the policy is if I turn something in and no one claims it? He replies that he will keep it till someone claims it. I ask what if no one claims it? He tells me that he will keep it. Now I don't want to be so honest with people about my finds unless it has an inscription on it.

What do you all think?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

First question, he really the park manager, or just someone scamming you? Sounds like a typical scam job! Secondly, what are the laws in your area? Seems like this guy is just using intimidation tactics which have become common lately. I've run into that myself a few times in the past year with a few individuals on a power trip.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Pretty sure he is but he didn't know where to take it in th first place.

Give him everything in your junk pocket. Some very, very nice finds. On the 10K ring, are those diamonds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Give him everything in your junk pocket. Some very, very nice finds. On the 10K ring, are those diamonds.
    No. Just the way the gold is cut.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    I like that reply! A big bag of pull tabs, can slaw, nails, bottle caps, foil, and whatever else. Just tell him to make sure he keeps it all until the owners are found!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

So he wants you to do all the work, then keep the profits for himself. That's nothing but a shakedown. Give him the junk.....the nastiest junk you can find.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Possession is 9/10ths of the law. So if you legally found those things (which I am sure you did) then I would not hand them over to the guy. Once you do then you no longer have possession and you will most likely never see them again.

Also what is a "good" thing? Is cleaning up the area of pull tabs and other trash a good thing? In my eyes yes it is. So give them your good things.

I once found a mens tungsten wedding ring with diamonds on it at a Metro Park here in SE Michigan. It had no inscription in it but I thought that I would try to locate the owner. So I called the main office of the park and told them what I had found and I wondered if they could look through their list of things that people have lost and let me know if anything matches what I found. The response I received was a bit shocking...the lady was really rude to me and demanded that I would come up to the office with the ring and give it to them. I asked what would happen if no one claimed it and her answer made it quite clear that I would never see the ring no matter if someone claimed it or not. So I respectfully hung up.

So I look at it this way....I obey the rules posted at any spot. I try to locate the previous owner if possible to do a good deed AND to satisfy my conscious. I never show people what I have just dug when they ask...its none of their business. I also try to be very polite when ever someone talks to me, I just keep some of my finds on the down low.
    Last edited by Bucknut; 01-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Grats on the jewelry finds. That necklace prob looked weird when worn with all those completely different pendants.

I bet it was a scam. Almost as bad as the homeowners who think they have a claim to everything you find in their yard. I'd check the local ordinance, and if it says nothing about specific areas, next time make sure to tell him the ordinance says nothing about where you cannot detect. Same with finds, check to see if it says found items belong to whomever found it. Best to know these beforehand. It's inevitable, sometimes, to have to deal with stupid people. Just like one time where I was on a town owned parcel and this guy parks his vehicle on someone else's private property and proceeds to tell me I'm trespassing.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

I was pretty straight with him that I wasn't alright with just giving him anything. I am very honest with everyone and have no problem returning things to their owners but don't trust people. The jewelry were both 3-4 inches down. They weren't lost yesterday or last month and probably not last year. Someone would have gave a description of the lost item already.

I would bet that the law in that area wouldn't back him up.
    Anything you find is his? If no one claims it, he gets to keep it?
    I don't think so.

Noel,
    I'm a former Deputy Sheriff. Tell him to POUND SAND! With that...great find!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope