Thread: Buckle???

Buckle???

I found this awhile back and can't find any info on it. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, etc. How old maybe?? Thanks, JeffName:  IMG_3279.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  49.7 KBName:  IMG_3286.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  49.2 KB
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

It doesn't look like a buckle to me. It looks more like an escutcheon piece.
    XP Deus

It looks late Victorian or very early 1900's judging from its decoration but its hard to see the reverse well , is there any solder or yellow brazed marks ? I would suspect its a large ladies sash buckle missing the soldered cross pin and faux working buckle parts . Its a nice piece

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thank you for the responses, here are a few more pics, hopefully with more detail. On one side of the back of it, it looks like a pin was attached, and went across and clipped into a small U shaped holder (kinda like a badge). Name:  IMG_3297.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  53.8 KBName:  IMG_3300.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  48.9 KBName:  IMG_3304.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  54.5 KBName:  IMG_3305.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  54.3 KB
    The U shaped thing is a little bent.
    since '68

Almost certainly a Victorian brooch or sash buckle. I've found quite a few in the last year.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Sash buckle, Victorian. Very lovely.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Being 2.75" wide, it seems a tad big for a pin/brooch, but I think that's what I believe it to be. The 4 sash buckles I have picked up have all had either a narrow slot or a tab. Means either a left piece or right piece. Yours does have the two spots where it could be guessed that the crossbar was tacked onto, but it still lacks either a slot or a tab. I bet those are the spots for the pin and the loop where the end of the pin went into, that's why it's bent the way it is now. Sash buckles were frail, I'll admit, as one brass one had a rolled edge that broke on me and another the bar was broken from the tack (weld).

I guess checking back, there was something almost similar mounting and an open hole, but smaller and oval, that I found recently didn't make it into a thread for me. I shall take a pic of it and show you what I mean and why I feel the item you have is more of a pin/brooch than a sash buckle.

This has a crossbar different than usual, but it still has one and it has the slot. The item that looks like a Chinese fan is the sash buckle:
    http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...ht=Sash+buckle

This one also has the slot and is more ornate. Pic #8 is after it was cleaned up well. The uncleaned pic shows the normal style bar and it broken from one tack spot.
    http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...ht=Sash+buckle

This one has the missing bar, but does have the tab and has the two tack spots on the edges. This was the opposite side. The majority have two pieces which are mirror images.
    http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...highlight=sash

And this is a slightly different style altogether. It has the tab, so whatever connecting piece had to be different. No crossbar or spots for it. But there is a tab.
    http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...highlight=sash

I'll take a pic of the pin I pulled from a small field which was kinda behind a house built 1850, but I am not certain if it could have belonged to the prop of a nearby cellar dating to mid 1700s. I am still confident the pin is 1800s, but the access looks to be from the corner street, which is closer to the older house. Not pertinent, but not completely irrelevant info. Lol.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Here's the differences between the sash buckle and the brooch I found.

Name:  20161020_225201.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  59.7 KB

Sash buckles are on top. The brooch pin at lower middle. Of course the others are suspender buckles. Hope this helps!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Very cool, now I know what it is.Thank you guys for all your help, I appreciate it!
    since '68

This was the pin/brooch that I was talking about. I def know it's a bit smaller at something like 1" x 0.75", but I was thinking the similarity with the opening in the middle and prongs. Mine has 6 prongs that are part of the design. Yours has 4. Note that the pin and clasp are attached at the outsides of the item.
    Name:  Pin front.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  77.7 KBName:  Pin-Brooch.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  36.4 KB

This would be a sash buckle like Chris has. Different than the two piece design. It is kind of hard to tell here with the flower blocking the relevant spots to this topic. There is a missing crossbar on my item, which is obvi a Victorian design with an etched floral motif and a shield shape. The pic is small as I am typing, but you might be able to make out the break edges where the crossbar would attach. It was a solid piece with that crossbar. It was not a separate bar that was tacked on, and it was also attached at the edge of the opening, not the outer edges of the item. The remnant(s) on your item is not a piece to a bar. Def looks like the clasp side of a pin, like now a folded 'C' shape.
    So:
    If it is a two piece sash buckle, the crossbar is attached at the outer edges and there is either a tab or a slot.
    If it is a single piece sash buckle, the crossbar is not a separate piece, and is 'attached' at the edged of the opening
    If it is a pin/brooch, the pin and clasp are tacked away from the center slot, whether in the middle of the frame or toward the outter edge of the item, and there is no slot or tab.
    Name:  Shield buckle.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  59.8 KB
    Last edited by MangoAve; 02-06-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.