Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Illinois boys are coming to Connecticut...it's a midwest invasion!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    That is very generous of you lee. I' know we would all love to meet you and do a little hunting.
    I'm staying in Rocky Hill. I think i'll be only about ten minutes from you.
    Thanks, Don
    less than that mate ! this going to be really cool lads.
    look up a park called quary park in rocky hill , its on old main street leading to weathersfield, some good history there and needs to be hit properly

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Feel free to be an ambassador for a day or two Jim , it would be nice for them to be with a few members here before they leave . You know how it is with cellar sites there is only so much room to swing on some of these . I'm hoping a few more local members step up and show 'em some good ol' New England hospitality .
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    We would like to meet as many folks from the forum as we can. Looking forward to meeting you and digging some colonial nectar! LOL.
    I'd have to think of spots that can have that many people. Sometimes the parking is the issue for spots, not just the swinging room. Five, plus me minimum means def two cars. I think one spot has room for only 1 car. Good thing the area has the parking ban for the 70+ cellars, otherwise I'd be killing them with that hike in there. Lol, Dan, I didn't realize there was an intent as well to meet as many of us as possible pending other circumstances. For farm fields, it's not too easy. The one big place with over 100 Acres, there were a few instances where I was lucky I didn't get banned...not from intentional actions. And the two big town ones, Idk about having 6-7ppl on the field. Nothing wrong with it... but for future. Two ppl out there, no one should question, yet it happened with only me. I am sure there could be a field on private parcel big enough for the group. I may be able to be a second ambassador, or team up with someone ... Drew, Dan (you), or AL, or Lee or whomever.

Dan... I always offered spots (even tho I realize now that we know about 95% of the same cellars, prob 75% including private operating home sites over 150 yrs old), whether or not you asked me, bcuz often we go in your jeep and you often have your sites. My little contribution I could add I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I would definitely take that invite from Lee if I were you guys Wethersfield is one of the oldest towns in Ct. ( it was attacked by the Pequot Indians in 1637 ) and he has some great old home site permissions
    WOW! I had no idea about that town's history. Yes Lee, thank you VERY much for your offer.
    Wethersfield and Windsor compete for oldest town in CT at 1634 and 1633 respectively. Today I just read an "on this day" article and I guess Galileo was on trial in 1633 for the heliocentric universe. They were charging him for this at the same time people were settling in central CT.
    I know Simsbury was burned in King Phillips war. He has some nice permissions in Wethersfield, although I think my site up near me where he found his 2 WLH was better to him, Lol.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 02-13-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    less than that mate ! this going to be really cool lads.
    look up a park called quary park in rocky hill , its on old main street leading to weathersfield, some good history there and needs to be hit properly
    That's great! Thanks for the offers Lee! We can't wait either! This is gonna be epic!
    I just can't wait to be called mate.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ill Digger; 02-13-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

The invasion is coming and I would like to extend an invitation to take a couple of our mid-west friends out detecting. I have been thinking about the time frame here. As you know I have some permissions on a couple of great fields, the only thing is when the farmers will plant???? I live in Westfield MA, Inc. 1669. There is also the park in Springfield from which RobW and myself have taken out over 200 silvers.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and offers to share sites! The 5 of us don't plan on all being together every day at every hunt. Tim and I plan to go off on our own a day or two and the same for Don, Alec and I. My cell phone number is 314-488-0801.

Thanks again everyone.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Wow, I can't believe how generous you are all being with your time and hunting spots. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.
    I would love to find a field or old parks while we're there. I'm still looking for my first shield nickel, can't seem to find one in illinois, Maybe I can get lucky in Connecticut. If not, I know i'll have a great time trying!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

If you guys every come to NJ, give me a shout. A few hours swinging and then a few beers on me.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    The invasion is coming and I would like to extend an invitation to take a couple of our mid-west friends out detecting. I have been thinking about the time frame here. As you know I have some permissions on a couple of great fields, the only thing is when the farmers will plant???? I live in Westfield MA, Inc. 1669. There is also the park in Springfield from which RobW and myself have taken out over 200 silvers.....
    I talked to a friend of mine who worked on farms a bunch as a young man, and he said no way the crops will be in that early! He said a general rule of thumb is the 3rd week of May. I hope he's right! I'd love to be able to hunt some of those colonial fields again Al!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    If you guys every come to NJ, give me a shout. A few hours swinging and then a few beers on me.
    Thanks Ken! We'll definitely have to keep that in mind. I'm up for just about anything.

21 DAYS

Silver 4

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    What no Nova Scotia invasion? Did tamper through Maine and Michigan though. Hope you fellows have a great trip and looking forward to the post!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Looking forward to this! Had a blast the last time the IL boys came!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Looking forward to this! Had a blast the last time the IL boys came!
    So are we Drew. We had a fantastic trip last year. You guys were great hosts.
    20 Days until we head east!!!

Silver 4

im looking forward to going out with you lot for a nice ruby Murry (curry)

we have about a 10 inches of snow (give or take an inch or two) now on the ground with limited days of temps above freezing next week and we have a forecast of another 6 inches for this Sunday , your week is in jeopardy of having some white stuff on the ground for you visit here !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks for the update Del. If your snow is still there on Thursday (with more forecast over the weekend) then I will have to cancel and try again another time.
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

The good news is we never got more snow only flurries and this week looks to be sunny with a few days of almost 50 degrees and 60 by Saturday so it looks like it will be great for you guys on your trip!

With that out of the way , what day do you all plan to be out here and what day is going to be your first day for detecting ? Unfortunately I can't be with you on Saturday but Sunday and any day during that week I should be free !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

My plan is to arrive in Wethersfield on Saturday afternoon and check into the hotel. Don't know if I'll have time to do one door knock Saturday evening or not but Sunday I am all yours!

Thats great news. Same as Dave, Arriving Saturday afternoon in Rocky Hill.
    Sunday is wide open for us!!

Silver 4

My plan is to arrive in Wethersfield on Saturday afternoon and check into the hotel. Don't know if I'll have time to do one door knock Saturday evening or not but Sunday I am all yours!
    your staying in wethersfield ? HA i know where your staying,its like 20 seconds from my house.

Same here. Be in Wethersfield Saturday afternoon sometime. Sunday being the first full day.

Good news about the snow situation!
    3 days out. What's left on the ground now? Maybe just a few inches here and there?