Thread: My XP Deus Coin Shooting program

Hybrid View

My XP Deus Coin Shooting program

I get a lot of people asking me about the program I made for coin shooting on my XP Deus. So, I made this to share. Hope it helps! Also, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to share.

** update - I have some people providing feedback that may correct some issues I have, I'll update the thread once I know more **

Last edited by Ken C; 02-14-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Ken, I am a relic hunter more so than a coin shooter, but that looks like a good serviceable program. It's a bit too much Silencer for my liking as I like to hear the iron. And I personally like an Audio Response of 3. My hearing is good and I like the indication of depth that a setting of 3 will give.

Now for the most controversial and misunderstood aspect of the Deus. Notch is indeed conventional Discrimination as you point out. But so is Disc. You can Notch 0 to 30 or just set your Disc to 30 and it is the exact same thing. Notch is typically used if you want to Discriminate out a range of numbers. For example, you might set your Disc to "8", that means you are rejecting VDI's from 0 to 8. This will discriminate out most small iron. But if you also want to eliminate pull tabs, you could add additional discrimination by Notching 55 to 60. Notch is just a window or range of discrimination.

Tonal Discrimination is not conventional Discrimination. It isn't really rejecting targets, or costing you depth. It's just assigning certain tones to certain VDI's. This is how I use it. Like I said, I am mostly a relic hunter. There is no modern trash at the sites I typically hunt. So if it isn't iron, I am digging it up. I'll use a 2 Tone program. I might set my Disc to 8 to discriminate out most small iron with no impact on depth. Then I will assign a low tone (100) to VDI's between 8 and 30 (still just mostly junk), then I will assign a high tone (600) to everything from 30 to 96. And since 97 to 99 is just iron wrap around, I will also assign that the low tone of 100. So I either get a growl or a high tone. If it is a high tone, I am digging.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Ken, I used to be a "Full Tones, 0 Disc" kind of guy. Until one day, I wanted some peace and quite at a site loaded with iron. I set the Disc to "30" and was amazed at what I could hear when I rejected all those numbers and silenced the machine. I found a bunch of buttons etc. that I had missed previously. It was an eye opener. Now I am a Multi Tone, limited Disc kind of guy. Disc of 30 is too much Disc for me because it will cost some depth. But it made me appreciate the power of using a judicial amount Disc.

The Notch versus Disc issue used to drive me nuts. I emailed XP a couple years back and they confirmed what I said above. I posted the email from XP on another forum and some folks actually insisted that XP was wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Ken, I used to be a "Full Tones, 0 Disc" kind of guy. Until one day, I wanted some peace and quite at a site loaded with iron. I set the Disc to "30" and was amazed at what I could hear when I rejected all those numbers and silenced the machine. I found a bunch of buttons etc. that I had missed previously. It was an eye opener. Now I am a Multi Tone, limited Disc kind of guy. Disc of 30 is too much Disc for me because it will cost some depth. But it made me appreciate the power of using a judicial amount Disc.

The Notch versus Disc issue used to drive me nuts. I emailed XP a couple years back and they confirmed what I said above. I posted the email from XP on another forum and some folks actually insisted that XP was wrong .
    Thank you very much for the advice. I've only been using the Deus for a month, so I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for taking the time to help me!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Ken, it's a great machine as you have discovered for your self. Looks like you are well on your way already to get a good understanding of it. With just a tweak or two, your program is much like the ones I use. I don't claim to be an expert at all but I do like to understand how things work and how all the settings interact with each other. So I am always tweaking and trying new things. Please continue to share your experiences. They are much appreciated.