Thread: Setting your pattern on Minelab detectors

Setting your pattern on Minelab detectors

When I want to make a pattern for my CTX or E-Trac I get together the coins and things that I want to include in the pattern. Then I take a piece of Saran wrap and wrap it around the screen. Then as you scan them in the yard you can mark the area they appear with a sharpie. Then build your pattern. Just an idea.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

I guess you do whatever works for you, but it sounds like a lot of redundancy since most coins will always be in the same range. But those which are not textbook signals could easily be missed this way. That's why I tend to keep a mostly open screen above about 14 and figure out the signal not only by the VDI, but also the audio. I also resting at 90 degrees to the first passes to check for consistency.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

All sound advice. I do pretty much the same thing.

I have a VDI chart for the Minelab if it helps you.

-------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

I had a run with the etrac for a few weeks. It still had a few pitfalls as lower end detectors have. Any twist of the coil caused by twigs or saplings over iron would false it. Big iron you'd hear clear as day. I hated those 1-29 signals. ugh. I did try to run it more open in the relic mode. I didn't particularly like the fact you have to run stuff under the coil just to accept or reject in the grid. I know you can always download a profile online if someone already made it, but I would think you'd miss targets if you couldn't run it under the coil. Kinda like what Chris said. I wish there was a way at least on the computer where you could select vdi from the grid and then download it to the machine. The fellow whom I borrowed it from had a condensed list taped to the frame so he could reference it.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.