Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great weekend! Bucket Lister!

Great weekend! Bucket Lister!

I was able to get out on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. On Saturday I hunted two local home sites. At the first I found a neat pocket spill: 1942 Walker, 1944 Merc and a 1948 Nickel. At the second site I only found 3 wheats and an 1896 Indian Head.

Today I went to Flora, Illinois to hunt some sites my brother had lined up. We tried three different sites without much success, not even a wheat cent. At the fourth site it was slow going but I did finally find a wheat cent. While we were there, a nice older couple next door started talking to us, and they told us we were welcome to hunt in their yard. Although their house was from the 1950s it was on a corner lot in a very old neighborhood. This yard ended up being a nice little honey hole. I found 2 Mercs and a Rosie, plus a really cool 1855 Dix (ten) Centimes coin from France! This coin is very worn but the date is clear and it has a beautiful green patina. It also has a "W" mint mark.

Right before dark I got a perfect 13-47 signal on my E-Trac at 6" deep. The signal was so good that I had my brother hold the video camera so I could do a live dig on video. I jumped for joy when a silver quarter popped out of the deep hole.
    Then I saw the back of it and immediately knew that I had found my very first Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter!

It's in pretty good shape with a partially visible date of 1917, no mint mark. My brother the good luck charm strikes again!

Here are all of the coin finds from the weekend. (*I found about 12 wheat cents at the first house on Saturday that I gave to the property owner.)
    Name:  Pile.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  89.9 KB

Here is he coin spill from yesterday. The 1948 Jefferson Nickel was stuck to the 1942 Half Dollar face-to-face. When I rechecked the hole I found the 1944 Mercury Dime.
    Name:  Coin Spill.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  83.0 KB
    Name:  Walker-Dirty.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  72.7 KB

I found this 1930s token at the same old house as the coin spill:
    Name:  Token-Obv.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  75.8 KB
    Name:  Token-Rev.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  74.2 KB

Here is the 1855 Dix Centimes coin from France that I found today:
    Name:  1855-Obv.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  81.0 KB
    Name:  1855-Rev.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  77.9 KB

And the highlight of the weekend, my very first Type 1 SLQ:
    Name:  SLQ-Obv.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  76.2 KB
    Name:  SLQ-Rev.jpg
Size:  69.8 KB

Here are some of the relics I found, including a happenstance clay marble:
    Name:  Relics.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  79.7 KB

What a fun weekend of detecting! Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 03-01-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats on that type 1! Not too bad condition either.
    The French coin, token, and pocket spills are really nice scores too. That scale weight must have really sounded nice! Any info on the old padlock? I haven't seen one quite like that before.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I thought you had a type 1 before, esp with all the silver you have dug over the years. Surprised then. Grats on finding one. And you have part of the date visible at least to verify.

That French coin reminds me of the similar reverse on the seated. WTH? Copyright infringement. hahah.

I do believe I pulled that same giant round padlock here in CT, along with one of the inserts of the mechanism. Weird.

Hey Tony, can I borrow your brother for a weekend? I need to get my silver count up.
    Seriously, awesome hunt with some great finds.
    Congrats on the type 1 SLQ and the cool 1855 french coin.
    Glad to see you're out swinging with great results. (as usual)
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    That scale weight must have really sounded nice! Any info on the old padlock? I haven't seen one quite like that before.
    Is it a scale weight? I thought it was a drain stopper. LOL It is slightly tapered and it is hollow. The padlock does not have any marking other than the number "5" on the hasp and the letters "AT, PD, DR". It is oddly shaped, I had never seen one like it either.
    Name:  Stopper.jpg
Size:  44.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2204.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  48.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I thought you had a type 1 before, esp with all the silver you have dug over the years. Surprised then. Grats on finding one. And you have part of the date visible at least to verify.

I do believe I pulled that same giant round padlock here in CT, along with one of the inserts of the mechanism. Weird.
    This was my 16th lifetime SLQ. I was thrilled to finally get a Type 1. The round lock is missing the other half and the inner workings.
    Name:  Round Lock.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  70.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Hey Tony, can I borrow your brother for a weekend? I need to get my silver count up.
    Seriously, awesome hunt with some great finds.
    Congrats on the type 1 SLQ and the cool 1855 french coin.
    Glad to see you're out swinging with great results. (as usual)
    Thanks, Don! It was a very fun weekend.

Here are a couple shots of the Walker. The nickel left a stain on the obverse. I could probably clean it off but I think I'm going to leave it.
    Name:  Walker-Obv.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  74.4 KB
    Name:  Walker-Rev.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  80.0 KB

It turns out this aluminum tag is off of a bundle of lumber from the Dierks Lumber and Coal Company.
    Name:  Dierks Penta.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  61.7 KB

Gosh Tony, what a SUPER amazing day you had! When I read the title of your post I was thinking maybe you had found a half cent. Congrats on your type I SLQ and getting 7 silvers. Not many days like that in our hobby. I was going to ask a bunch of questions but you answered them all with your subsequent posts! I found one of those Dix Centimes last fall and at first thought it might be a colonial copper. Did you think the same thing at first? Congrats again and it really made my day seeing your post. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Anyone have an idea of what this object is? I'm stumped.

Name:  Reliable Clip.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  51.7 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

My mistake, from the pic it looked like a scale weight like off a small counter top model, not a round padlock frame! Lol.
    As for your whatisit, I'm guessing a swage (joining) clip for rope or small cable.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Wonderful few days Tony!
    "As for your whatisit, I'm guessing a swage (joining) clip for rope or small cable." I guess it wasn't very "reliable"
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That Standing Liberty Quarter is a rare find! It's absolutely gorgeous!!!
    XP Deus

You seem to always find amazing things! Awesome job again! I think the SLQ the best!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

You had an awesome weekend! Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Nice looking silver there Tony. Congrats. Love that little lock too.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Fantastic weekend for you Tony, and congrats! Man, you gotta love those old coin spills.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Awesome finds, very nice! Congrats!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Looking Good Tony!!

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Looking Good Tony!!

Thanks, Scott! Nice to see a post from you here on the forum. I hope you are back out there finding the goods soon!
    Lifetime totals:

Hey Tony Two Cent!
    Big Congrats on your Bucket Lister!Keep up the good work!
    I always enjoy reading your posts and watching your videos. Your one of the best out there for sure! But your not the ONLY best one out there. My friend Joe Kress who lives a few blocks from me is pretty damn good too. I know that you never want to follow behind him either. He doesn't leave much!. I have seen him in action about 200 times and he is damn good too! Congrats again on the SLQ type 1 and I hope the thrill you got was as great as it was for me when I found mine! Keep in touch, your friend from Iowa, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rgorman View Post
    Hey Tony Two Cent!
    Big Congrats on your Bucket Lister!Keep up the good work!
    I always enjoy reading your posts and watching your videos. Your one of the best out there for sure! But your not the ONLY best one out there. My friend Joe Kress who lives a few blocks from me is pretty damn good too. I know that you never want to follow behind him either. He doesn't leave much!. I have seen him in action about 200 times and he is damn good too! Congrats again on the SLQ type 1 and I hope the thrill you got was as great as it was for me when I found mine! Keep in touch, your friend from Iowa, Ron
    Hi Ron! Great to see a post from you! I hope you have been finding some good stuff as well. We sure do miss Joe Kress around these parts! I hope he is doing well. Tell him that Tony says hello.
    Lifetime totals:

Very nice, it's on the top list of my bucket list!