Thread: ☆ Hunted Out... I Guess Not!! ☆

☆ Hunted Out... I Guess Not!! ☆

I had a few hours to kill yesterday so I figured I'd go detecting. Wanting to stay close to home I decided to go back to a old farm house that's been good to me over the years. The past couple of visits produced only a couple of wheats and lots of trash! For the first hour it was pretty ho-hum 👎Just 2 wheats and some clad. I was on the last side of the yard and was starting to think about heading home to fire up the grill. I was in a area that I dug a Kennedy half in 2011. I got a choppy jumpy signal. Jumping from 36 to 41 Co. And the depth gauge was over half way down the scale.
    Dug down and from 8 inches out comes.

I'm really liking this new nylon brush I've started carring. After a quick brush reveals my most beautiful 2 cent piece!
    A 1865.

Pretty excited I slowly started to check the area. About 6 or 7 swings and I get a choppy 04-42 way down on the depth scale!
    The stick with the glove on it is showing the 2 cent piece hole. (Look on top of the dirt pile)

After a quick squirting of water and a little brushing revealed my most beautiful large cent!
    1841 small date.

Next signal, not far away, 12-46 my heart was pounding I dug a nice wide hole. Dug another 8 inch deep hole, then I see silver in the dirt pile!! Of course I'm thinking seated! You can imagine my disappointment when I see this.

As you can imagine I'm digging anything that repeats. I got nickel / pulltab signal dug deep for this one!

It looks like a one piece button. The back is all rusty. And the Sunray probe nulls at the post, and the face of the button makes the Sunray give a 18 Co.?

After a short while later I got a consistent 40-41Co. Dug down at about 5 inches out comes a cool blue hot rod tootsie toy. I rechecked the hole with the in-line probe and got nice 36-38 Co. and directly under the car at 9 inches was the cutest little complete crotal bell!

It sounds so sweet!

A fun couple of hours swingin' solo!
    Thanks for lookin' & HH
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Awesome finds! That LC and 2C are in great shape!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Great finds Tim , you've been on a streak lately you sure you wanna leave Illinois in a couple of weeks ?
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    Awesome finds! That LC and 2C are in great shape!
    Thanks Ken! I'm stunned at how well these two coins cleaned up! I have one other LC that's in as gooda shape if not a little nicer. But that one was dug from the sand and gravel at a old swim beach. But this two cent is easily my best one. My others are OK. It seems like one side is real nice and the other has a blemish or is completely shot.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Great finds Tim , you've been on a streak lately you sure you wanna leave Illinois in a couple of weeks ?
    Thanks Dan!
    I know. I'm not sure what's going on. It's hard to complain but, even harder to explain!
    I've been telling the guys I sure hope that I'm not burning up all of this year's luck before I get out to the east coast.

O.M.G. Tim! That 2C is amazing! That little brush does a good job for cleaning them coins out in the field. Congrats on some major keepers you got there. Remember the days when a Rosie was a great find?! LOL. Be sure to save some of your detecting mojo for Connecticut. I don't want to hear any crying because you found all your best stuff in Illinois! Muhahahahahahaha!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Those are some great finds Tim!, love that 2 cent piece! Still have that one on my bucket list. Great looking LC and crotal too. Any of those warrant a great hunt. Well done!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Elite Member
    Wow, great finds. the 2-center is a beauty as well as the Large cent. Great finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Wow, what an incredible hunt, Tim! Two wonderful coins and some nice relics! I can tell you from experience that that Two Cent Piece will clean up very nicely. They were made from high quality bronze and always have a nice green patina. I cleaned both of mine with a toothpick and some dishwashing liquid and they cleaned up beautifully.

That large cent is a terrific find too! I like the crotal bell also, and I'd like to see a photo of it cleaned up as well.

Congrats on the amazing finds, buddy!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow. Nice finds, Timmeh. Sweet 2C piece. I thought the 2 side would be better based upon how it came out of the ground, but the shield side somehow turned out better. Still looking for one here. You have been getting a bit of luck, and yes you know we all go thru dry spells.

Man what a great bunch of finds! I love that 2 center! With the age of those things I would dig it all!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Great looking 2 cent piece and LC. I'm thinking you should have thrown the rosie back after those two finds..... But I can see how seated would have been on your mind..... Cute crotal bell also.

P.S. don't burn yourself out
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Holly Cow Tim! That's an unreal hunt!!! Shaking my head here....congrats!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Very nice man. I've dug 2 cent pieces before but NEVER any that weren't crusty and ugly. Very jealous!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    O.M.G. Tim! That 2C is amazing! That little brush does a good job for cleaning them coins out in the field. Congrats on some major keepers you got there. Remember the days when a Rosie was a great find?! LOL. Be sure to save some of your detecting mojo for Connecticut. I don't want to hear any crying because you found all your best stuff in Illinois! Muhahahahahahaha!
    Thanks Dave! Yeah the brush works real well! It'll be interesting to see how it handles different types of soils. But I was pleasantly surprised! And yes I remember the days when a Rosie was a great find. Up until this weekend and Rosie would be a great find at this farm. But hey....I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Those are some great finds Tim!, love that 2 cent piece! Still have that one on my bucket list. Great looking LC and crotal too. Any of those warrant a great hunt. Well done!
    Thanks Chris! It was a action packed couple of hours! I can't say it enough how surprised I am to have found this much here.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Wow, great finds. the 2-center is a beauty as well as the Large cent. Great finds WD
    Thanks WD!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Wow, what an incredible hunt, Tim! Two wonderful coins and some nice relics! I can tell you from experience that that Two Cent Piece will clean up very nicely. They were made from high quality bronze and always have a nice green patina. I cleaned both of mine with a toothpick and some dishwashing liquid and they cleaned up beautifully.

That large cent is a terrific find too! I like the crotal bell also, and I'd like to see a photo of it cleaned up as well.

Congrats on the amazing finds, buddy!

Thanks Tony!
    This 2 center cleaned up really nice! Specially the shield side. The 2 side was a little more stubborn. I'll snap some pics in the daylight of the bell cleaned up and post them for ya. It sounds so sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Wow. Nice finds, Timmeh. Sweet 2C piece. I thought the 2 side would be better based upon how it came out of the ground, but the shield side somehow turned out better. Still looking for one here. You have been getting a bit of luck, and yes you know we all go thru dry spells.
    Let's hope things don't dry up till AFTER I get back from seeing you guys. Of course it doesn't have to dry up for me at all. That would be just fine with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Man what a great bunch of finds! I love that 2 center! With the age of those things I would dig it all!
    Thanks Bucknut! That's the nicest one I've found so far! And I think I'll have a hard time finding another one any nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Great looking 2 cent piece and LC. I'm thinking you should have thrown the rosie back after those two finds..... But I can see how seated would have been on your mind..... Cute crotal bell also.

P.S. don't burn yourself out
    Burn out? Yeah right. I'm just conditioning myself for a 7 day, all out assault, on some of those east coast treasures my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Holly Cow Tim! That's an unreal hunt!!! Shaking my head here....congrats!!!
    Holy cow! You really think so? That means a lot coming from you. Thank you Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Very nice man. I've dug 2 cent pieces before but NEVER any that weren't crusty and ugly. Very jealous!!
    Thanks Noah! You'll get a nice one. This is #5 for me and easily the nicest
    Last edited by Ill Digger; 03-11-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Great finds there Tim!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

What a great hunt.. nice finds.. Love that crotal bell