Thread: Snow still deep by the cellars but still managed a 1797/8 DB

Snow still deep by the cellars but still managed a 1797/8 DB

I figured by this past Saturday the snow should be at least somewhat manageable, but alas, I was wrong. I started off going west of the river to a spot I had planned out. It was a big hike in and of course it had to include up hill and down hill multiple times the way in and the way out. I found the site, but it was just still too deep. There were drifts still at 6". I kinda foresaw it when I reached a certain town and it was a bit white still. I figured I could still go and confirm the spot at least and see if it was manageable. Spot yes, detectable now, no. My socks were soaked by the time I got back to the car. I proceeded to a spot not far from there, but was hoping the location meant it might just be that much better. Ehh.. Still not much better, but there might be some promise. People do hike and ride their bikes near the spot, but if I could manage what I thought was a parasol top, but is actually a scabbard tip, right in an ATV trail where the snow was compressed, then there is hope. That and it is a big site. Not so big cellar, but big site.
    Name:  Babbling brook.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  88.2 KBName:  Possible grave.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  66.4 KB
    On Saturday I went down to meet up with Lee and the Ill crew. I put the small coil on the Tpro cuz I wanted to hit a small area of a school where I found the CT transit tokens. This time I still managed to pull a token.. a different one tho. I also got an Eastern Caribbean States 5 cent coin. First year of minting. And the one unique find was a loop for some sort of belt/sash. I can't seem to find anything like it. It looks like the shield from the CT seal, but with a Fleur De Lis instead of the grape vines. Possible it was a boy scouts item specifically for CT, as they did use the Fleur De Lis in some of their symbols.
    Name:  Other finds inc scabbard.jpg
Size:  93.5 KBName:  Nickel and Fleur de Lis close.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  117.0 KBName:  Nice sunset.jpg
Size:  51.7 KB
    Afterward I met up with Lee and all the blokes form ILL that made it here. Seems like I was only there in the capacity to ID the coppers cuz my machine wasn't finding anything good. Only a few brass scraps and lead and the only coin was a 1961 penny. WTH. That reason and because I had to go back to the car, anyway as I could not stand using my trowel anymore, are the reasons I just headed to a cellar maybe 15 Min up the road. Well, I thought again being East of the river that maybe it'd be ok in the woods. Nope. Still too much snow there, yet the field where I met up with them was almost clear of the snow. ugh. Couldn't win this weekend, but at least no skunking.

I went over three ridges to get to this site. By the last ridge I was close to it, but it was just hidden from far away. No old trees. There was bedrock in parts of the trail I walked in on, so I just figured the small stone wall at the declining edge of the ridge was just bedrock sticking up. Seems across from the cellar there was something nice hiding for me to find. Now I can definitely confirm I have a draped bust cent. Idk why the camera doesn't like to pick up the details my eyes can see. It appears to be a 1798 variety having 8 over 7 restrike. There is also a die crack near the eye. Still trying to narrow that down further. Definitely a stemmed type. And of course, boot set #2 had the left pair soaked inside. Time for pair #3 (and a different brand).

Name:  Dug DB.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  84.7 KBName:  Split Rocks.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  65.3 KBName:  DB cleaned.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  58.5 KBName:  DB reverse cleaned.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  82.0 KBName:  DB reverse black bcgnd.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  116.6 KBName:  DB die crack.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  33.2 KBName:  DB date close.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  52.1 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Nice. Now drop in front of Don so he can find it.

Pretty awesome finds! Love the token and carribbean coin. Great find on the largie! Interesting pic of the tree splitting the boulder, that's cool!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

You got some nice finds in spite of the adverse conditions! That 1798/97 Draped Bust Large Cent is wonderful!

Great post with beautiful photos.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats on the great finds. Impressive that you ventured out into the snow. Still pretty deep here in MA. I did more detecting Jan and Feb than in March!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Nice. Now drop in front of Don so he can find it.
    I was solo at the cellar. I didn't want to steal Lee's thunder by making them deviate from his spot. No reason they couldn't stay just cuz my machine couldn't find

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Pretty awesome finds! Love the token and Caribbean coin. Great find on the largie! Interesting pic of the tree splitting the boulder, that's cool!
    Thanks, Chris. There were some interesting things out there in them woods. Lee made a joke about his arse. I almost took a pic of a tree that looked like one and sent it to him saying NOW I was staring at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    You got some nice finds in spite of the adverse conditions! That 1798/97 Draped Bust Large Cent is wonderful!

Great post with beautiful photos.
    Thanks, Tony. Some weren't so lucky with 60 degrees a few weeks ago...instead we were getting dumped on with snow. So we in NE may have the chance with colonial coins, we just gotta put up with a lot to find them. Someone on FB has come up with and ID. It looks as if the LC is an S-167 "whiskers" variety. There was an R1 in one of the titles. Might be an R1 rarity (which I think is the bottom of the list, but still less common than certain other LC).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Digger View Post
    Congrats on the great finds. Impressive that you ventured out into the snow. Still pretty deep here in MA. I did more detecting Jan and Feb than in March!
    Thanks, Digger. I know... It's been tough lately. Can't believe the Hiltz said its been 5 weeks for him. It's gonna be warm this week and hope the rain will accelerate the melting. You'll/We'll be back in full swing soon.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Gutz to love a hardcore bouy. Nice coins and relics. You just proved that it is never over....the season that is. Enjoyed the post! Thanks.
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Quote Originally Posted by leslie(nova scotia) View Post
    Gutz to love a hardcore bouy. Nice coins and relics. You just proved that it is never over....the season that is. Enjoyed the post! Thanks.
    Thanks, les. Sometimes you be a bit tenacious in some of your outings as well. The off season was like 3 wks this year.

Nice digs Jim! Great pics as usual. I'm not happy to see that many gypsy moth cocoons though. Congrats of the DB....I particularly like the 18th century ones
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

"my socks we soaked".....you should have worn some boots or at least some shoes. . Congrats on the DB and for fighting the not so nice conditions.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    Amazing how long that snow and frost lingers especially in a wood. Those were some unbelievable finds. I cannot even imgine the feeling of finding a 1700's Large Cent. Awesome WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Beautiful Large Cent!!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice digs Jim! Great pics as usual. I'm not happy to see that many gypsy moth cocoons though. Congrats of the DB....I particularly like the 18th century ones
    Thanks, Jeff. I was surprised to see those moths in that area. I thought they were centered around the middle of the Eastern part of the state. I was kinda far from that area. I think the news said something about the moths overrunning only with dry seasons. They don't expect it this year...but does that mean rain will cut into detecting time? Ugh. Those 18th century DB are almost like the FE, but there are much more of the FE minted for 3 yr vs 4yr of the 1790s DB. No comparison in quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    "my socks we soaked".....you should have worn some boots or at least some shoes. . Congrats on the DB and for fighting the not so nice conditions.
    Let me borrow a pair, then. Haha. I been looking into some new boots. Idk if the ones I had were 200g or 400g. They seemed to be great when I first got them, but I still needed the toe warmers a month ago with the ridic wind. Luckily I have a gc for Cabela's and their 2000g would only be about $80. And it's like why would I go buy a 200g Columbia brand for $75 when I can get the 2000g for $5 more. But thanks, Al. Hope you guys are getting some good luck in that field. Idk based upon what Lee texted, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    Beautiful Large Cent!!
    Thanks Ken. Was happy it came out this way when I didn't think I let is soak long enough in oil before cleaning it up.

Very nice Draped Bust!
    XP Deus

Great finds Jim !

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Very nice Draped Bust!
    Thanks, Donnie. (Almost put Donny cuz a guy I went to HS with)

Quote Originally Posted by bamaart View Post
    Great finds Jim !
    Thanks, Kev. Guess I don't have to ask how the hunt in Al's field went for you (and the rest of the NE fellers).

of your hunting grounds out East there guys Very nice.