Thread: ☆☆ Capping off a Great Week in New England !! ☆☆

Threaded View

☆☆ Capping off a Great Week in New England !! ☆☆

Here's my version of the Illinois invasion.
    Last Friday I took off for Connecticut for a week of metal detecting for things I simply cannot find around here.

6 hours down the road I stopped for the night in a town in Ohio. In the morning I detected the town square for 4 hours before getting back on the road. I nabbed 6 wheaties and a 1907 Barber Dime.

Back on the road by 2 PM. Next stop...Weathersfield Connecticut!

Sunday morning after breakfast the group gathered at Lee's house and did a quick meet and greet where Lee showed us his 1730 1 real. We then followed Lee to a park where I found a few wheaties and a silver Rosie. After that he took us to his field where he found his real.
    Plenty of room to swing for all 9 of us.

One of the best things I seen come out of the ground the whole week was the Spanish Cob Lee dug!

My finds included: 2 ox knobs, a skeleton key, a flat button and a musket ball.

Monday morning we woke up to rain, so I grabbed the Excalibur and headed back to Lee's field where I came up with this button

After digging the button I got a call from Tom (Hiluxyoda) wanting to know if I wanted to meet up and check out some parks. At the last park right before dusk I found this bullet.
    Not knowing too much about bullets I'm going to need some help from our bullet experts on this one.

Tuesday morning after breakfast we headed an hour South to meet up with Johnny (Guess It Was Fate Metal Detecting) to hunt the happy hunting grounds. After our daily meet and greet we only had an hour and a half to hunt before the storm moved in. But before it made it there I was able to dig up a few wheaties and a 1900 IH.

Wednesday mornings meet and greet at Al's colonial field (minus Lee who's behind the camera.)

I think everybody made some great finds. One of the items I'd hoped to find on my trip was a Dandy button which I was lucky enough to find here.

Here's a closer look at the Dandy and a few other farm fresh items. Like a musket ball, Buff nic, bail seal, and a small button with a star in the center.

A 1964 Montague Mass. Dog license, buttons and whatzits.

Thursday morning after breakfast Dave, Tom and I headed North to meet Dan for a day of colonial cellar hole hunting.
    Here we are after just shy of a 10 mile cellar hole excursion.

Here's what I gathered from the day. Including my very first ox shoe!!!

And my NEW OLDEST DUG COIN!!
    He's a little toasty, but it's a 1730 KGII!!!

Thanks again Dan!
    Friday's forcasted called for another all day soaker The rest of the crew packed up and headed for home. Deciding to go into town get something for the wife. The gift shops didn't open till 11 am. So as I was going to skip the gift and get on the road I spotted a small lot in town! Any ground in Wethersfield is ground worth checking. As I killed a hour or 2 or 3 or..... well around the 6 hours mark I decided I better pack it up before the gift shop closed for the day. It turned out to be a good call! I made some nice finds. With everything from Zincolins to Colonial buttons! Even a cool 925 ring with what looks like sea turtles nose to tail.
    Also bagged a Buff, a bail seal, and another big musket ball.

After a couple of stops for gifts it was time for me to start heading back west for Illinois. I made it as far as mid-state New York before pulling over for the night. When I woke up Saturday morning I figured it out. I could hunt till 2, drive straight home and be there by midnight. So I left the hotel and headed for the countryside. I knocked on 3 doors of homes dated 1811, 1812, and 1812. I was shot down at each of them with NOs. By this time I'm little hesitant to ask anyone else. But there was a small farm house nearby that looked mid to late 1800s. As I pulled up I could make out a small sign next to the door stating it was built in 1810!! Older than the other 3!! Time was flying. I managed a 3 wheat spill, some clad before getting a nice 1929 Merc! A couple minutes later a couple more wheats and then a 1946 Rosie! By this time it was 2 o'clock. Time to go After finally finding a couple of silver I talked myself into making one more loop around the yard. As I made it down to the road and stared back to my truck I got a 11-44 @ 4 inches. Going up to 12-45 a couple of swings. I dug a shallow hole ,checked the plug... nothing. Checked bottom of the hole and a 12-44,45. Figuring it was a memorial but decided to dig carefully. I pulled out a small plug of dirt out of the bottom of the hole , broke it open and seen silver again!! But this one was different
    I carefully pulled it out and seen this!

Shaking like a leaf... I flipped it over...

I sent the others the pictures, on cloud 9 knowing that I just dug my second Capped Bust dime!!! I stared for the truck! About 15 yards away at the base of a big maple tree I got a bouncy 11-44, 12-43 at 8 inches! Under a huge root I dug out some soil tossed it on the pile....and sitting right on top was a big copper coin... I brushed the dirt off to reveal...
    A 1827 LC!!

What a beautiful way to Cap off a great week of detecting!!

Here's she is!! My 1830 Capped Bust Dime

Thank for lookin' & HH
    Last edited by Ill Digger; 04-05-2017 at 01:29 PM.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime