Thread: Summary of my Connecticut trip

Summary of my Connecticut trip

Hey Diggers,
    What a great trip this turned out to be! As you know, 5 of us Illinois Boys made the long drive to Connecticut to look for colonial treasure--the likes of which we cannot find back home. My goal was to find colonial coins, buttons & relics, make new friends, and have a good time. I am happy to report I have achieved that goal!

Our first day we met a great bloke named Lee. He has a British accent and knows more of beers than he does his own monarchy! I want to go to a world cup soccer game with this guy! He showed himself to be a gentlemen of the highest caliber during our visit. He took us to one of his best spots where he has found Spanish silver more than once! The detecting gods rewarded him for his generosity and bestowed upon him a 1600's Spanish cob.

2 days of rain followed...

Our next great outing was up to Massachusetts to meet Al (Aloldstuff). He took us to a cornfield that has been in use since the 1790s! He has found so many coins in this field over the years he can't even remember most of them. But then, I heard someone say he forgets most stuff anyway! LOL. It was in this field, after nearly 2 hours of listening to the gentle hum of my detector that I got an ear-splitting signal. This turned out be an 1808 large cent! Not only the first year of issue for this type but my oldest American coin! I also found a beautiful dandy button, barber dime, and a toasted draped bust LC 14 inches deep.

Thursday was the day we were to meet Dan (Del) and have our first crack at cellar hole hunting. For those who have not met Dan I would describe him as a mix between Daniel Boone and a lumberjack. He strode through the dense forest with the confidence of a mountain man! Mountain Man Dan. He took the time to educate us on all the various rock structures created by the pioneers and how to spot a cleared field that would have been used for crops or animals. We hiked 9.7 miles in total and visited 6 different cellar holes. I found a copper and a toasty draped bust LC. Tom gave me some good pointers on hunting in the dense iron field and I was able to hear that LC 10 inches deep! One of my favorite finds is a colonial copper cow bell with an iron clapper. As soon as I knocked the dirt out it started ringing! I plan to set up an electrolysis tank to get the rust off the copper (200 years of contact corrosion spread rust over the entire copper surface).

I was so impressed with the friendliness and generosity of the Connecticut boys. They could have easily taken us to so-so sites but instead took us to the best sites. I am grateful for their kindness and look forward to future endeavours with them.

Here is some pics, thanks for looking and HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great finds and wrap up pics! You all must of had a great time. Really enjoyed everyone's videos too.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on all the great finds, you also had a nice week out east. WTG

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Great finds! Looks like you had a great time!
    XP Deus

With all the snow on the ground and the rain in the forecast, I wasn't sure we were even going to make out east. I'm sure glad we decided to risk it!
    Even with a two day delay, you managed to find some excellent coins and relics. I can still hear your woo hoo when you dug that 1808. And I was on the extreme other side of the field. LOL
    I'm looking forward to seeing that bell after electrolysis.
    on a great trip.
    352 Days
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I'm stunned by what can still be found out east. America's colonial history deserves to be preserved and I guess it's up to us to do it. Great job guys!! Any of you lucky enough to be able to trace family back to those days? Unfortunately my family didn't make passage from Sweden until around 1850. Still cool to know. Keep posting pictures of your finds after cleaning!

Not too much oil on them there coppers!

Excellent week Dave! I wish I could have met up with you guys. One week and you found a cow bell? I've yet to dig one Congrats on a nice vacation!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

By any standards your trip was a rousing success, Dave!

You couldn't have asked for much more than that, some wonderful early American coins and relics plus splendid camaraderie!

Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 04-06-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member
    Wow great bunch of finds and great trip you guys had. Enjoyed all the summaries and pics you guys did. Makes me want to jump in a cat and head East. Thanks WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

You know, I don't remember every pulling out a cow bell before. Grats on scoring a LC while you were out here. 'Twas nice to finally meet you.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Dave that was a great breakdown of the events. I absolutely loved the classic head copper unfortunately I was on the other side of the hill to hear you shouting and whooping it up when you found it! Don and Alec said it was a very entertaining sight to witness. lol Some very very good finds emerged from Al's field , that coin , the barber , Tom's silver colonial cufflink and the octagon rifle barrel that still had the breech plug that Rob thought was junk ! lol Thursday was a great day for cellar hunting and I was very impressed how well you all adapted to that kind of detecting despite its challenges. Dave hitting that draped bust at the depth you did in that iron was impressive my friend !!! I would take you guys anytime , and the banter made for a really good time. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay sir!

Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Dave, congrats on a very successful week of hunting (looting ) our relics and coins. It was great to finally meet you although from your posts and youtube vids I felt like I already knew you. All you boys are more than welcome to return to the land of relics. Hopefully I can locate some other old fields to take you guys to. I can't remember a copper cow bell being posted before....huge congrats.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on all the awesome finds, what a trip!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token