Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Illinois boys are coming to Connecticut...it's a midwest invasion!

The Illinois boys are coming to Connecticut...it's a midwest invasion!

Hi Diggers,

Just a heads up for all our friends in the Connecticut area. Myself, Tim (Ill Digger), Digger Don and Alec, plus Tom (Hiluxyota) will be making a road trip up to your neck of the woods the last week of March.

We are all looking forward to 6 days of detecting for Colonial coins and relics (you know, the stuff we CAN'T find here in Illinois). We plan to hit some old parks, do some door knocking, and maybe if we are lucky, some nice person will take us to a cellar hole or two!

Our plan is drive up on Friday/Saturday (it's a 16-hour drive for me) and stay in the Hartford area for at least one night before deciding which way we should go. We WELCOME any ideas and suggestions from you!

Thanks in advance for your hospitality and friendship!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Oh yeah!!
    I can hardly wait!!
    My name is on the "time off" list already at work, my new boots just came in the mail, my old Etrac is in the shop (hoping to have it back before I go ). Got a new set of camo Killer Bees head phones for Christmas. Hoping to get a cordless system for the new Bees in the next couple of weeks when I cash in last years clad. Oh yeah I'm gonna be loaded for bear! Probably be bringing along my Excalibur II in case anyone wants to get there feet wet. I'm in! .... or just hit a beach, I'm in.
    My trip was cut short on my first visit in 2015. This year I'm hoping for close to a week of hunting for some early Americana! Like some of the items that the eastern members post on here that make me wanna puke with envy.
    I was hoping to meet a few more of the Eastern membership during my last trip, maybe this trip that'll be a possibility.
    If anyone wants meet up during the week speek up. Dave and I are willing to do some driving to meet up and hunt. If a certain day of the week works best let us know here that will help us plan out our week.

I'm up for any type of hunting as I'm sure Dave is. Cellar holes, parks, houses, colonial fields, old beaches....whatever!
    Just hoping to find something that we just don't have access to here in the Midwest.
    Thanks in advance.
    42 days and counting....
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Sounds like an awesome trip, wish I could join in on that kind of trip. Take lots of pics and maybe some video for those of us stuck here in the Midwest. Maybe we can live a bit vicariously through you guys! Best of luck and hope you score some great bucket listers!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Woo -Hoo !!! Can't wait Gentlemen , I'm hoping to have a few cellar sites and maybe a field permission or two .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

We can't wait to get out there again. Alec and I had a blast last year thanks to Del, Drew & Bri. I found my oldest coin to date at a cellar hole that Dan brought us to, a 1723 Woods hibernia Half Penny. We just can't detect like that in Illinois.
    We're really looking forward to getting together with some of east coast friends again.

As you may be aware, I do most of my detecting on private permissions and I can't wait to knock on the door of house built in the 1700s. ( I'll probably dig a 64 Rosie ) LOL.
    Counting the Days!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Wow, five people making it out here. Dan already being the ambassador. I forgot all you guys came up this past winter cuz I wasn't around. Don, your oldest coin beats mine by 11 yrs, and I live here. And, you might not be far off. I do have an 1830 permission and there were very few coins. I could pull up a rein guide and a flat button (early 1800s) but the coin was a merc. If the cards line up, maybe I'll get to meet some of you (I've met Tim-meh 2 yr ago). Unfortunately one place has a parking ban until late April, so it cuts my list of cellar holes from something like 200 to 130.. hard to chose.

Wow guys, I am starting to get excited seeing all the comments on this thread! I was thinking what my bucket list might be for this trip.
    1. Draped bust LC
    2. State Copper
    3. Spanish Silver
    4. Any silver colonial item (thimble, shoe buckle, etc.)
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Wow guys, I am starting to get excited seeing all the comments on this thread! I was thinking what my bucket list might be for this trip.
    1. Draped bust LC
    2. State Copper
    3. Spanish Silver
    4. Any silver colonial item (thimble, shoe buckle, etc.)
    Give me a green copper, a red shield nickel & a silver anything old and I'm good to go!!

Silver 4

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Give me a green copper, a red shield nickel & a silver anything old and I'm good to go!!

If I had the opportunity, number 1 bucket list would be a Fugio.
    Second would be a flowing hair silver.
    Third draped bust quarter.
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 02-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Wow, five people making it out here. Dan already being the ambassador.
    Feel free to be an ambassador for a day or two Jim , it would be nice for them to be with a few members here before they leave . You know how it is with cellar sites there is only so much room to swing on some of these . I'm hoping a few more local members step up and show 'em some good ol' New England hospitality .

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Feel free to be an ambassador for a day or two Jim , it would be nice for them to be with a few members here before they leave . You know how it is with cellar sites there is only so much room to swing on some of these . I'm hoping a few more local members step up and show 'em some good ol' New England hospitality .
    I know at least one day we'll be out knocking on doors. One day Dave and Don have a day set up with some of the YouTubers. But I'm up for anything

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Best of luck, you guys! Bring home some colonial goodies!

I'm so bummed that I can't go. My company won't give me the time off. I even asked them if I could take the week off without pay, no dice.

I hope you all bring home some bucket list items!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

i am so up for this if you blokes wouldn't mind me tagging along,i also have a few permissions in old weathersfield where i live and would be more than happy to take you lads hunting.
    you say your staying around Hartford and my town is right next door so it would be great to get out with you,i would also love to hit some cellar holes with Dan again,i do for cellar hole what a fish does for a bicycle !!! im terrible !!! so i really need to watch the master at work some more.
    hope to meet you lads when you come.
    lee

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    i am so up for this if you blokes wouldn't mind me tagging along,i also have a few permissions in old weathersfield where i live and would be more than happy to take you lads hunting.
    you say your staying around Hartford and my town is right next door so it would be great to get out with you,i would also love to hit some cellar holes with Dan again,i do for cellar hole what a fish does for a bicycle !!! im terrible !!! so i really need to watch the master at work some more.
    lee
    That would be awesome Lee! I would love to meet you and do some huntin'! Thank you so much! We'll have to hammer out the details a little closer to our arrival.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    lee
    Hey Lee, I appreciate the offer and I know the guys do too. We would like to meet as many folks from the forum as we can. Looking forward to meeting you and digging some colonial nectar! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    My company won't give me the time off. I even asked them if I could take the week off without pay, no dice.
    Tony, I called your boss and told him I was Dr. Van Nostrum and we needed you at the Helsinki Institute for studies in superior manliness. He didn't seem impressed. I told him that a giant asteroid was going to strike the earth if you and Bruce Willis didn't fly into space and drop a nuclear bomb on it. It was a no-go my friend. Sorry you can't join us. You'll be missed for sure.

I would definitely take that invite from Lee if I were you guys Weathersfield is one of the oldest towns in Ct. ( it was attacked by the Pequot Indians in 1637 ) and he has some great old home site permissions . Very generous of you Lee

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I would definitely take that invite from Lee if I were you guys Weathersfield is one of the oldest towns in Ct. ( it was attacked by the Pequot Indians in 1637 ) and he has some great old home site permissions . Very generous of you Lee
    WOW! I had no idea about that town's history. Yes Lee, thank you VERY much for your offer.

That is very generous of you lee. I' know we would all love to meet you and do a little hunting.
    I'm staying in Rocky Hill. I think i'll be only about ten minutes from you.
    Thanks, Don

Silver 4