Thread: Door Knocking Gets a Nice Large Cent!

Threaded View

Door Knocking Gets a Nice Large Cent!

Hey Diggers,
    Today I did a little door knocking. I ended up with 4 permissions in the old part of town and managed a few keepers. One yard I visited is a yard that Digger Don, Tim Ill Digger and I got permission for back in early March. We ended up not doing the yard because the leaves were piled too deep to swing the coil. Today I noticed the leaves were gone and the owner happened to be outside. I stopped and chatted for a few minutes and he said no problem go ahead. The main part of the yard had NO coins. It may have been detected before.

There was a 5-foot wide strip of dirt/grass between the driveway and the walk up to the house. Right off the bat I was getting clad quarters and memorial cents, then a couple wheat cents. On my third pass I got a faint 12-44 signal at 8 inches. This would normally be a memorial cent but the depth indicated it could be something older. As I dug down, my probe started signaling 12-47! I was positive it was big silver. I cursed under my breath that it better NOT be a clad quarter! After getting all the dirt out of the hole I was surprised to see a large copper disk in my dirt pile. A token perhaps? Then I realized it was a large cent! 1849! Woo-hoo!

After I filled in the hole I swung the coil and only about 12 inches away I got another 12-47 at 7 inches. I was thinking maybe another large cent but was happy to see a silver dime come out of the ground! A 1944 merc. I also snagged some interesting tokens and a button at the other yards.

Here is some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger