Thread: CT detecting

CT detecting

I've just bought a metal detector after about a year of wanting one, and was looking for some help on where to hunt. Given I've only used it twice, I am sure nobody wants to hunt with a newbie. But any suggestions on where to detect in CT, preferably near the Colchester area? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Colchester is a great area to detect , it has some old schools , parks and history ! All you have to do is ask yourself "what do I really want to find " ? Then search out those areas or spots that would give you your best chance on finding it is that you want !

Welcome to the forum by the way , i'm only about 45 minutes away from you

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Thanks! Which old schools would you say are around Colchester? There is the old bacon academy in town but I'm not sure if it is allowed to detect there.

Welcome! I'm also 45 min from you...you're surrounded
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome to forum. Detecting in CT huh? I heard the Illinois boys pretty much wiped that place out!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Welcome to forum. Detecting in CT huh? I heard the Illinois boys pretty much wiped that place out!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I hope not! I bought a pretty pricey detector for me, (mid range)

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by reckitryan View Post
    Thanks! Which old schools would you say are around Colchester? There is the old bacon academy in town but I'm not sure if it is allowed to detect there.
    You just have to ask around about permission for the academy , there are also a few parks in Glastonbury as well

Awesome, thank you. You don't need permissions for parks, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by reckitryan View Post
    Awesome, thank you. You don't need permissions for parks, do you?
    Most parks are not publicly listed in their rules so to me that is fair game until I'm told otherwise , Just remember if you do go into a park or school please be as neat as possible because we are all judged by your actions in these public places . So please cut nice neat plugs and try to make it as though you were never there Ryan .

Welcome to the forum Ryan. You can also go to relatives and friends houses built before 1960 the older the better in order to score some possible silver coins or large cents.Good luck. I'm also about 45 minutes away if you want some pointers. My numbers in my profile

No it's not 860-628-1035. What kind of detector did you get?

I've looked at bacon academy and I believe it is owned by the church. Just be aware there is a cemetery behind it, which would be a nogo area. Some of us are willing to show pointers on the detecting style and helping to learn. The Colchester/Hebron/Marlborough area has some potential but there are also areas that have been hit hard. Door knocking is a good thing to do, but I'd recommend starting out in parks and schools first. You'd get the clad first, but you'd learn to read the machine, get the settings down, and get practice digging good plugs so that doing good digging at permissions gets you an invite to return. Dan and I do cellars and we get relics and sometime old coins. It happens, but rare to find silver, and even rarer to find gold. Parks are a lot easier to find gold rings, but much harder to find the older coins. Same with beaches. They have a much higher ratio of rings and jewelry, but you also have to deal with more trash like pull tabs. That's kinda what Dan meant by figuring out what you want to find. Hope that helps. I'm also up in the same town as Dan. Ton of us in CT.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

It's funny, I found my first silver (a SLQ) at a playground at a local school but have yet to find jewlery. Thanks for the tips!

I'd go right back to that school and pound it to death! An SLQ in a schoolyard means it wasn't hit too hard yet. Good luck.