Thread: Searching The Indian River Field Site

Searching The Indian River Field Site

As the field season is winding down, farmers are planting the beans and corn is already starting to sprout up we have been going to a few of our old sites that aren’t planted yet just to try and squeeze out a few more keepers. We also have been walking the fields looking for Indian Artifacts as well and when we were out doing that we came across a house site that was not on any of the maps! This huge field is one I have permission on and has not been planted so we hiked back to the car and got our detectors and it turned out very good …at least for Diane…while I got a CW Staff Officers button she was able to dig a 1849 Large Cent! A couple days later another trip there and she picked up an 1859 Fatty Indian. We both got interesting relics as well. So last Saturday the crew revisited it and spent an hour but did not turn up much except for a buckle or two and some suspender latches. I did find a Dr. Bells Pine Tar Honey Cough Medicine token in the shape of a bell so I thought that was interesting. I said to Doug that according to the map there was a site much farther out in the field so we decided to go out and try to find it. Well it was found and looking back our car was a small speck on the horizon! Doug got a couple of flat buttons and then found some Indian Artifacts, two broken points and two drills with just the tip broken off. We started digging some brass bits, a button and buckle when at last the first coin appeared a 1901 Indian with just the edge appearing out of the ground. Then just about a few minutes later I dug a 1903 Indian. About 20 minutes or so I got a great signal and the first really old coin came out a1825 Large Cent! My streak continued when I got another decent tone and the first silver emerged it was a 1902 Barber Dime! And a bit later I again got the sweet signal on the Deus and this time again silver a 1916 Mercury Dime…no D…. lol! Finally Doug got in the game when he called me over to check his signal and we both concurred Large Cent so we did a live dig and it was an 1844 Large Cent…but due to cameral malfunction …or more likely user error it was not recorded. We were ready to leave when Doug got an 1865 Two Cent piece. Oh we had a competition to see who would dig the most shotgun head stamps…Doug got 11 but I got 17…so I won…I think!

https://youtu.be/LteHfQJp_B4
    Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Lots of great finds. Love those largies and that bell token! Congrats on a great hunt!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

That's a sweet hunt! Judging by the amount of trash, looks like you worked for it!! Great job!

I love the knapped stone Tony and the keg tap is a great find when they are complete like that
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Fantastic bunch of old coins and relics, Tony!

You guys got a little bit of everything. You are definitely into an old site there, and you got some great eyeball finds in addition to the detector finds.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I have yet to find a point of any type....some day. As your fields get planted whats your plan??? Again great group of finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

What a great site! All kinds of goodies.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    I have yet to find a point of any type....some day. As your fields get planted whats your plan??? Again great group of finds.
    We can artifact hunt in planted fields since are only picking up surface finds, the first one is always the hardest, when you see one you will know it....the hand of man will stand out.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Nice finds! I dug up one of those Dr. Bell's tokens about 22 years ago in Tennessee.
    XP Deus