Thread: Return to Indian River...Old Silver, Fake Silver, Old Copper...and a Mystery!

Return to Indian River...Old Silver, Fake Silver, Old Copper...and a Mystery!

We returned to the Indian River site this week and had another stellar day! We had been there only about 5 minutes when Diane came over to me holding a large coin in here hand, she said “I am not sure what this is, I know it’s not a Large Cent” I looked at it and brush some dirt off and said “My gosh it is a Capped Bust Half Dollar!” She then said “It doesn’t look right though” and she was correct after a bit more looking at it I told her it was a Counterfeit Capped Bust! She was excited because she knows Counterfeits are scarce finds but a bit disappointed since it was not a real silver coin! She then made the next find but this one was real a very nice 1818 Large Cent. I was scuffling, with a button my best find and again numerous shotgun head stamps when I got a nice signal and the Deus was giving the double beep showing something quite shallow. I took my pinpointer and slightly scrapped the spot and out popped a very small silver disc! It turned out to be an 1836 Capped Bust Half Dime! It has a bite out of it where, I believe it had been holed, and a scrape from the disking the farmer had just done. A bit later I got another nice signal and got an 1880 toasty Indian Head. After more shotgun head stamps we decided to go since we had an early appointment that afternoon. When we got back to the car Diane told me she had dug just before we left what she thought might be a token or play coin. I looked at it and could not tell. When we got home I washed it off and to my surprise….it was a holed Silver Coin! It still is a bit of a mystery as it is just the right size for a one Real and after photographing it and looking closely you can see a 7 on it. The poor thing looked like it had been hammered so we may never really know but it is Silver and it is old and Diane is very happy!

https://youtu.be/vBI1URdHTng
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

You guys have really outdone yourselves! What an incredible group of finds! Diane got a really old 1818 Large Cent, and you got an 1836 Half Dime! Even with the nibble missing from the edge that is a terrific coin. It gives it character.

I agree with you about the other silver coin, I believe it may be a One Real. I can definitely see the 7 you were talking about, plus another character on that same side of the coin. I have circled it in red.

Name:  D Mystery 02 A.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  128.9 KB

The counterfeit Bust Half is very interesting too!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great finds Tony and Diane! Looking at your zoom in of the smashed coin I can see 777. Granted it's harder to see them as you look to the left but my guess is 1777 reale. And what's up with you and counterfeit 1/2 dollars? LOL. Congrats to both of you and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Wow, you guys are killing it! Awesome finds, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great hunt guys! Always impressed with your finds!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats Tony & Diane great finds. Hopefully this weekend I'll time to catch up on your videos.

Great finds!
    XP Deus

Gonna have to check out your videos buddy. Amazing finds for these parts. I must be doing something wrong!

You and Diane did extremely well Tony , the frequency of you two finding counterfeit halves is baffling me as I've never seen somebody dig more than one type of counterfeit
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That counterfeit 50 center is the coolest thing I have seen in a while
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Grats on the finds, Tony (and Diane). Wow is the frame of that buckle thick. Interesting info on the counterfeit. I wonder why you keep finding so many counterfeit coins out your way. There were only a couple out here I have seen including an 8R. The only counterfeit I have was one of those alloy-ed counterfeits. I can't find the link right now. Yeah, the silver and gold were clipped, shaved, or just completely a fake coin. Counterfeit coppers in the 1700s were either just a completely different metal, or an alloy mix that was recast so the copper content was much lower. The latter was the only one I have found. I think your area out in Ohio had a lot of delinquents/deviants. Ohio was one of the first stops for people moving out west during the expansion in the 1870s.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

As usual some great finds. Reading your posts, there is always a pleasant surprise(s) in them. Love that counterfeit 1/2.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Incredible finds you guys made.