Thread: new finds at a cellar hole

new finds at a cellar hole

So, I'm hunting an old 1700's site today and find a few items. Two flat buttons, and what I think to be silver plated buckle, and a harmonica with the wood still in it...cool. But when I get them home I realize that the buttons have something written on the back......Is there anything besides peroxide that will eat that crust off of the back ? I am out of peroxide and ...well first of all, I live in CT. but I am from the deep south, as is the sister that lives in the same house. She is a southern ex-marine with an attitude...and said that if I use any more of her peroxide that I would be sleeping outside. I believe her. I will catch a rattlesnake by hand, bite its head off and clean these buttons with snake oil before I use that last little bit of peroxide. So, back to the task at hand,...I will buy some peroxide tomorrow, but can any of you guys make out what is on the back of these buttons ? If I come back next time with mosquito bites, you will know what happened.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170621_00_47_42_Pro.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	59632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170621_00_48_07_Pro.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	59633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170621_00_48_25_Pro.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	59634

Looks like Scoville to me
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice finds. Yeah, that's a tough one on the button back marks. The first one just looks like a common decorative wreath pattern. The second one definitely has a back mark. Perhaps the generic "Rich Quality/London" back mark in fancy script. Those were made by the millions, and are attributable to several manufacturers back in the earlier half of the 19th century.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

So you made it out this past weekend? Was this where the silver buckle came from? The top button just has a wreath, but might say plated as well. The other prob Scoville like the others said. 1812-1838 timeframe. Get peroxide @ walmart. Costs like 88 cents for the bottle.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Thanks, I knew about the peroxide...I was messing with my sister.