Thread: Odd days, coinstar better than hunting?

Odd days, coinstar better than hunting?

Hi all,
    I've been out on numerous hunts the past couple weeks with nothing to show for it other than clad and a junker ring. But today I decided to hit the coinstar machine at the local Wal-Mart for the first time now my bank no longer counts change. My jar was nearly overflowing so had to do something despite the 12% the machine charges.
    So I get there and figure out how to run coins through and start dumping. About half what I put in came back out the reject chute of course. But about 3/4 through the jar, with a machine full of uncounted coins the thing stops and says service is needed. Go figure, just my luck. Long story short, after almost an hour, maybe 10 employees, several calls to coinstar service and shooting away several ghetto rats from pinching coins out of my stash still in the tray they get the darn thing open. Find out someone was sorting hardware, gum, and tape along with what appears to be rubber cement and old soda residue on some coins stuck inside. Got the rest of my coins out, and they emptied the internal trash bin into my jar since there were coins there too.
    Got to work and started going back through the coin jar to clean out the sticky stuff and had a few nice surprises. Canadian dime, flattened souvenir penny from the zoo, a 5 Groszy coin from Poland, and a 1944 Washington. Finally, a silver! Best find in weeks! Guess you really can find anything at Wal-Mart!

Name:  20170727_014359.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  20170727_014423.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  73.9 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I guess coins are really on the way out....banks don't even count them. Sorry it took so long, but you got large silver!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The wait and the shooting away seemed to pay off.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

You literally found the silver lining for your bad experience! Makes ya wonder what they all find in the coinstar "trash" bin and where it goes?
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Congrats on the silver! I like to take the quarters and dime, give them a good rinse and run them through a self check out. I shop there at times anyway and I don't lose the %12. Nickel and cents go in the coinstar. I wish we had the amazon card choice around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk