Thread: Downright Dandy Detecting Day with Daddy Digger and Digger Don

Downright Dandy Detecting Day with Daddy Digger and Digger Don

This past Saturday I met up with Daddy Digger and Digger Don in northern Illinois for some metal detecting. I haven't been out much this year, so it was nice to get out for a long hunt! On Saturday we hunted a couple of houses in town and a couple of farms in the country. We all had productive hunts and we each got silver.

This huge barn was at one of the farms we hunted on Saturday. So massive and majestic! This photo doesn't do it justice.
    Name:  Barn.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  60.3 KB

On Sunday Dave had to go home so me and Don detected a couple more houses in town, but they didn't produce much. We got permission at two farms and we each got an Indian Head and a few relics.

Here are my finds for the weekend before they were cleaned:
    Name:  Coins Dirty.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  81.1 KB
    Name:  Relics Dirty.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  67.7 KB

How I had missed the beautiful Indian Heads that come out of the central and northern Illinois soil. I ended up with five of them.
    Name:  Indians.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  143.9 KB

All three of these V Nickels came from the same front yard of a rural farm house.
    Name:  V Nicks Obv.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  56.3 KB
    Name:  V Nicks Rev.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  61.6 KB

I also found three Buffalo Nickels. One of them was stuck to a wheat cent and the reverse is still shiny.
    Name:  Buffs Obv.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  64.8 KB
    Name:  Buffs Rev.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  70.1 KB
    Name:  Buff Wheat Spill.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  60.8 KB

This 1900-S Barber Dime was in a spill with three Wheat Cents. The Barber Dime was stuck to a Wheat Cent face-to-face, so the obverse of the Barber Dime is somewhat tarnished.
    Name:  Barber Wheat Spill Obv.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  Barber Wheat Spill Rev.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  59.8 KB

After going 54+ years without finding a single Type I Standing Liberty Quarter, I have now found two of them back-to-back! What are the odds? I found my first one on February 26 of this year. I found my second one on Saturday.
    Name:  SLQ Obv.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  73.3 KB
    Name:  SLQ Rev.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  70.6 KB

Here are some of the relics and miscellaneous items I found:
    Name:  1929 Dog Tag.jpg
Size:  49.4 KB
    Name:  CO Tax Token.jpg
Size:  70.0 KB
    Name:  Relics Reeds Key.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  Relics Watch Coss.jpg
Size:  59.7 KB

This is a mystery item. One side is thick glass, the other side is brass. It appears to have been attached to something at one point. Any ideas?
    Name:  Mystery 1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  Mystery 2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  32.5 KB
    Name:  Mystery 3.jpg
Size:  50.8 KB

As always, it was a blast detecting with Dave and Don! We always have fun together and the finds are just a bonus.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

It was great getting together with you Tony. It's been way too long. You dug yourself a nice variety of finds. Too bad Dave took the mojo home with him Sunday morning. Trying to find a farm house Sunday was brutal, but at least we didn't get skunked!!
    Congrats on all the pretty green Indians, nickels and silvers, especially the SLQ
    Take care and happy
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats Tony on a great hunt, those IHs look great, and you got some nice silver to boot. Nice score on the type 1!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great variety of finds Tony! You're right...those Illinois IHs always clean up so nice. About 1 in 5 look that nice up here in our acidic/rocky New England soil. Also congrats on more old silver. I'd guess the brass/glass mystery item is an old bridle rosette from the early 20th century. They'd often have pictures in them inside the glass, but usually they've long faded away. If you google "antique glass bridle rosette" you can see some examples.

John

Congrats on all the great finds. Specially for being in dry soil .. that glass item is definitely a bridal rosette. I found one similar this year in a river. Would of loved to have joined you and don on Sunday but I couldn't get out. Would of loved to finally meet and detect with you because you're one of the last greatest Illinois detectorists I haven't got the chance to meet and detect with yet !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiluxyota View Post
    Congrats on all the great finds. Specially for being in dry soil .. that glass item is definitely a bridal rosette. I found one similar this year in a river. Would of loved to have joined you and don on Sunday but I couldn't get out. Would of loved to finally meet and detect with you because you're one of the last greatest Illinois detectorists I haven't got the chance to meet and detect with yet !!

Sorry you couldn't join us, Tom. We will get together for a hunt someday!

I almost forgot to show this giant reed I found. It is huge! It must be out of a pump organ or something. It rang up like a deep silver half dollar. Rather disappointing.
    Name:  Reed.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  66.8 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

What a great variety of finds! Love the old nickels and old silver! Congrats!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Wow, what a bunch of old finds. 3 "V"'s in one hunt is pretty amazing. An "S" mintmark Barber is a tough find as well in our parts. You guys killed it. Great hunt. Hope there is some video on the hunt. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Nice digs! Great looking site.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Awesome finds! I like the Dog Tax Tag the best. I love those things.
    XP Deus

Great finds! Looks like a solid weekend of detecting!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Wonderful digs, Tony!! Impressive as usual! I agree with John, that's a rosette.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Tony you kicked butt with that type I!! Extremely jealous. Congrats!!

Great finds Tony and I really enjoyed detecting with you again! You found some really good coins, especially at the 5-acre farmhouse. I only got one coin signal in 3 hours there but you dug a whole bunch of old coins! You're right about the barn picture not doing it justice--it was such a MAJESTIC feature on the landscape. It was a lot fun door knocking with you and Don. Any ideas why he had stop at the Pontiac coin store while we were eating?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Some really old and stellar finds Tony , the barn is quite the construction achievement ! congrats on your second type 1 I enjoyed seeing the relics too including the glass faced rosette .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Sweet treasure! Congrats
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Great assortment of finds, Tony! In the 3rd picture down, what is that relic item closest to to the very top of the frame? Some sort of a handle or something? I've found a number of similar items and was never able to ID. Any idea?
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Tony, not many Type 1 SLQ's get posted and now you have 2..... I have to agree that barn is sure large and beautiful. Think of the activity that happened in it......
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Candidate Member
    Congratulations on the magnificent finds, guys!

WTG Tony! You guys really hit the mother lode!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album