Thread: I'm back with an 1847 braided I made into a necklace.

I'm back with an 1847 braided I made into a necklace.

Last time I posted, I said I was better. Well, I was wrong. Things got worse and I been down for quite a while. Good thing the last few things I found were the two reales and the trime. Sorry for my absence from the forum. I did check the feed from time to time to see all the great finds, but even with the bookface, I just perused. The stuff I was 'forced' to deal with, I kinda just didn't 'deal' with all the other stuff. Plus I had no finds.

This past week I made it out for some 'exercise' before I made a comeback to work. I am recovered enough to do some limited hiking/hunting. There is still some recovery left to go, but at least this time I can say with confidence that I am on the mend. Thursday I made it to a site I had found some brass items at before. There was some swinging room, but the ferns aren't gone yet... and the rest of the growth, I didn't have my shears or machete with, so I dealt. Here I pulled a really bulbous ox knob, some other brass piece (like a lever?), and a mangled lantern. There were two other lead bars I found, almost like monster wheel weights (they were just bars). Those were the best signals.
    Name:  Pile O'pinecones 2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  81.2 KBName:  Finds variety 2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  86.8 KB
    Saturday I made it out to a cellar maybe 1/2 mile in the woods. It was caved in and very old. The walls were really low lying. Here I found a neck stock buckle by the lip. The musket drop that looks a bit chewed and the ring were within 25ft of the cellar. The rest was devoid of targets. Idk about the ring, but I know loggers wouldn't have dropped it. There are no hiking paths so I don't think it was lost by a hiker. There are no defining marks. I am not sure if they are stone or glass. If stone, ruby and topaz.
    Name:  Dug Ring 2.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  89.2 KBName:  Ring cleaned 2.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  84.3 KB

I hiked a little ways from there to another spot. Inside a raised foundation I pulled an LC. Didn't take too long to get back into the grove. Lol. I thought it was toasted from being in a fire. Peroxide didn't touch the crud. I started with the toothpick and was surprised to find a really sharp 1847 braided LC. They made it into a wizzer; I made it into a necklace. I did try using a string. It doesn't make much of a wizzing sound.
    Name:  Cleaning in process 2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  137.2 KBName:  Matron cleaned 1847 nu2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  134.9 KBName:  Matron reverse cleaned 2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  61.2 KBName:  Braided necklace 2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  66.0 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

I didn't know about your health problems, Jim, but I'm glad you're on the mend. I hope things steadily improve for you.

That ring looks old to me. Is it silver? I suspect that it could be period to the cellar hole. I hope so!

Good idea turning that 1847 Large Cent wizzer into a necklace! It has a great patina and nice details on it. Great find!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Some great finds Jim! Love that largie necklace, prefecture seeing it was already holed. Glad you're on the mend, sure missed seeing you around the forum!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Elite Member
    Great finds. Keep the exercise going as it seems to be a WIN - WIN. Congrats WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Glad you are okay, Jim! Great ring and holed coin!! That ox knob is a "show" knob! I read they only used those types at county fairs and to show off. Nice job and welcome back!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I didn't know about your health problems, Jim, but I'm glad you're on the mend. I hope things steadily improve for you.

That ring looks old to me. Is it silver? I suspect that it could be period to the cellar hole. I hope so!

Good idea turning that 1847 Large Cent wizzer into a necklace! It has a great patina and nice details on it. Great find!

Thanks, Tony. I'm not one to advertise things too much. Maybe I will put forth a few things from time to time. This is a friendly community, and there are some individuals that would show some concern, but it is also a public forum. Things are def 1000x better than they were. If you did get the full details, which is a novel, you'd be saying 'wtf'.

I was thinking the possibilities on that ring. It was silver color out of the hole. There was some staining, but that is normal from being in dirt. It being such a thin band, I can't imagine they saved much if it was plated. I also highly doubt it would be plated.... I did play around the yard once or twice when I was stir crazy, lol. I pulled a baby plated Oneida spoon and it already had missing areas of plating, and it is not much older than '59. I would have to invest in one of the acid test kits to determine if silver, altho it does seem to have a crease line on the inside of the band. It doesn't say sterling nor does it say coin which could mean it pre-dates those standards. And maybe check under microscope about the stones to check things like clarity. Yeah, the other two coins I dug with holes in them were toast. I just saw the hole almost near the top and the condition was exquisite, I figured make it a necklace. I had the jump rings as I make some chainmail braid jewelry. As a hobby; I haven't tried to sell any. I was going to use a 'gold' jump ring thinking the contrast would be better, but the mandrel was a little too small. (It's the gold color that treated titanium makes).

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Some great finds Jim! Love that largie necklace, prefecture seeing it was already holed. Glad you're on the mend, sure missed seeing you around the forum!
    Thanks, Chris. I been wearing the necklace since I made it. I am thinking to purchase a specific coin or two from eBay to make other pendants. But those won't have holes. I will use a bezel. Lol. I did try to make that Chinese coin I found into a necklace as well, but the wire wrap was too stiff for the tools I had and I wasn't getting a good enough design. This was luck, tho, how the coin was holed and the condition it was in. Could have been an 1822 and been toast. Well, I will be able to be more active on the forum, just in time for only a few months before the ground freezes. Sorry for reminding you. lol. There also hasn't been much need for IDs on here, in a while, either.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Great finds. Keep the exercise going as it seems to be a WIN - WIN. Congrats WD
    Thanks, WD. Yeah, the exercise is def a big part. Almost like how a co-worker was talking yesterday on even people who aren't experiencing any health issues should really be eating healthy. "I'd be eating ice cream every day if it wasn't unhealthy." And just this am, one who I show finds to had seen someone at the beach. At first he wondered about dragging the sand scoop. It eventually turned into the part about being a hobby and the exercise like hiking. We just have the extra part beyond hiking where we can find interesting things.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Glad you are okay, Jim! Great ring and holed coin!! That ox knob is a "show" knob! I read they only used those types at county fairs and to show off. Nice job and welcome back!!
    Thanks, Drew. I didn't know that about the knobs. I could figure that one I found a year ago that was 2.5-3" tall was def a show one. Hadn't put the thought into it other than it was different and much cooler than the one that looks like it belongs on a wheel hub. That makes me wonder which was the nearby fair for that town. I know the history on the 4-town fair. Ive heard of the 4-H fair and the certain individual towns that have fairs. Not sure this town has one each year (which would most likely be a traditional one they have been doing for many years).
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

That LC is in great shape. I also like the buckle you found. Finding old relics and coins is ALWAYS good medicine!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    That LC is in great shape. I also like the buckle you found. Finding old relics and coins is ALWAYS good medicine!
    Thanks, Buck. It def has a placebo effect. Lol. Today I did give someone a history lesson on the coins...and the holes. One noticed the necklace and inquired. Told him about the fact the spaced holes were for wizzers. There was a blank stare when I mentioned wizzer...lol. Had to tell him it was a 'toy'. And about using a coin as a button. And the fact they had no pockets so other coins had single holes. Still was impressed with the size of the coin for being one cent.

Hi Jim, welcome back. Glad to you posting again and that 1847 is a beauty. Try to take it easy and hope to see more from your trips.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

You got some quality finds. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling good but glad your on the mend. What are all of those green things on the ground, pine cones?
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Hi Jim, welcome back. Glad to you posting again and that 1847 is a beauty. Try to take it easy and hope to see more from your trips.
    Thanks, Al. Happy to nab a coin looking like that. Not everyone notices it, though, when I wear it. I'm not pushing myself anymore than enough to gain. Lol. You'll def see more. Too bad I might have to wait on a new machine. Well, yeah, partially because of recently, but not mentioning because of that. I mention cuz I see there is another detector in the works and is being field tested. Since they haven't announced it yet, Idk any specs and if worth it...but can't make a decision on no specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    You got some quality finds. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling good but glad your on the mend. What are all of those green things on the ground, pine cones?
    Thanks, Roger. Glad to be back, too. Last year's I was at least not coherent when things were bad, so even tho they were more life threatening...I wasn't aware. This time sucked. Yes, they are pine cones. Idk why they are all still green and they have fallen. My giant spruce trees only drop them when they are brown. And Idk why they are all piled in one spot. It was weird. And it wasn't until after I took the pic that I noticed those stone piles weren't natural. There was more stone work just beyond the piles. For some reason, this was the only area with these piles of pine cones as I spotted a few more smaller spots, but none when I went out other places. The 1847 braided cent came from the same town, but different area and there weren't any of these piles. Go figure.

It's good to see you are getting your health back , I wish you all the best . Great story , pictures and finds . Nice job on restoring dignity to that Large cent and I think It was pretty cool to put it on your gold chain .

Great finds. Love the necklace
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Glad to see you back in action Jim. Was that you stacking up the pine cones or a mob of red squirrels ? Cool necklace. You should have made a big button out of it
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    It's good to see you are getting your health back , I wish you all the best . Great story , pictures and finds . Nice job on restoring dignity to that Large cent and I think It was pretty cool to put it on your gold chain .
    Thanks on all accounts. Didn't even need to get a bezel for the coin and at least it won't sit in a coin holder in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    Great finds. Love the necklace
    Thanks, Ken. I've been wearing it a lot, lately. My neighbor was surprised at the condition of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Glad to see you back in action Jim. Was that you stacking up the pine cones or a mob of red squirrels ? Cool necklace. You should have made a big button out of it
    Thanks Jeff. Must have been the red squirrels. lol. I think we have only grey and black ones around here. If I used it for a button, I'd prob nead a huge cloak. lol. Those are out of style.