Thread: Starting a day with 4 spoons.

Threaded View

Starting a day with 4 spoons.

Saturday I continued the streak of having to get up around 6a. Well, it was for detecting and not work. The guy who facilitated last year's penguin hunt wanted to set something up. Well, it turned out to be 7 ppl. It ended up being a place I knew about that was 'pounded' to my standards , but had many cellars. I immediately went toward the two that I knew had some promise to them. It took a while, maybe 1/2 hr, before I finally found something worth digging. It was the spoon handle missing the bowl, right up next to a tree maybe 15-20yr old. After a little while longer in this same area where there was a ton of iron and a worn trail I noticed going toward the water, I pulled another spoon. This one looks like pewter in the fact it is frail and has broken edged and is grey color. After a while, we all headed to the second hole. This one was also hiding two more spoons. The three handles all are ornate. Finally other stuff started popping up like the rein guide, an obvious really shallow quarter signal 25 ft from the cellar behind a barberry (but was accessible, ref the blurb on the buttons below). The oval piece is an iron compact and I had never seen a silver plated harmonica reed. If they are normally, none of the 50 I have dug before still had any silver wash left on them. Just this one. I was still finding stuff (and might have found more if I stayed or had the small coil to change out), but One of the guys came back to get me. They all went back to the other cellar area. WTH?
    Name:  Detector on wall.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  71.3 KBName:  Spoon designs.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  82.3 KBName:  Folded spoon design.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  83.1 KBName:  Silver plate harmonica.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  106.4 KB
    I followed the guy who came back to get me and we tried a bit more in the fields to a cellar closer to the cars. I think most of the fields there were pasture as there were stones in them and it was a slope, but there was one flatter one with some heavy barberry and a lot more iron. I do believe I went thru this same field on 5/28, but just a quick pass as the ferns were so high four months ago. Well, I ended up nabbing the two smaller flat buttons 3ft apart. Now with them yelling a while ago (even with one earpiece off you can't tell what they are screaming from 1/2 mile away.) I went up from the field to a big rock and took a break to grab more to eat. I saw one person stayed behind and was going into the same field I was just in. I went down to meet back up. Good thing, because he found a button which prompted me to recheck the area. I got into those barberries and ended up with a total of 5 buttons from this one small area. All old flat buttons. One a nice dandy with a sunburst pattern and what I think is a clover stamp all around the rim. A decent hunt, but no coins this time.

Name:  FInds 9-23.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  97.8 KBName:  Buttons + drawer pull.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  88.9 KBName:  Dandy button.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  94.3 KB

The top left is a really broken button. It was a nice green out of the ground (and is still mostly green). The pic color is a tad off. I'd also like to add that I did a different cleaning process on things like the folded spoon and the harmonica reed. The trick I was told was to use 50/50 water and clr. This time I just used H202 and a toothbrush. It came out looking just as good. Prob wasn't as harsh to the surface as clr likes to turn the brass areas a reddish color.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 09-25-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.