Thread: Minelab Tones

Minelab Tones

Hello Friends,
    You might know I'm a T2 user. I really want to buy the new Equinox 800. I'd like to ask a question of you Minelab users (assuming the etrac and Equinox have the same sounds). The T2 has a great tone choice called 2+. It allows you to hear depth, strength, whether iron or not etc BUT- you hear only one tone per pass over the target. The tone has an infinite amount of sounds, but it's always one tone. The Minelab, on the other hand, seems to produce multiple sounds going over a single target. Something like
    blup BLUP BEEP BLUPE blupe My question- why are there multiple sounds over a single target? Do they give you more info when you learn the language?? Thank you!!
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 10-15-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It depends on how much junk and/or iron surrounds the target. If the target rests in clean, unmineralized soil with no junk or iron around it, the E-trac will give you a very clean, consistent tone.

If there is junk or iron next to the target you will hear those different bleeps and bloops, with the "good" sound of the target mixed in.

It does take some getting used to, but you will get used to it. I did!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

blup BLUP BEEP BLUPE blupe
    Gotta give you props for being able to put into words what cannot be put into words!!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Gotta give you props for being able to put into words what cannot be put into words!!
    Like someone on "Cartalk"

Thanks Tony! Here is an example...at the 1:27 mark the guy passes a coin and sometimes there is one tone but other times there is more...and he is just bench testing....no iron nearby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVZ9qH79dU
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Pretty sure I heard a blurp in there.
    Deus Autem Lutum

XP Deus / CTX 3030 / EQ 800

The real treasure is in the marketing

Each number has its own sound Drew. If you notice the conductive numbers change on the target ID, and at the same time, the sounds are changing. That's the "blup BLUP BEEP BLUPE blup" that your talking about. For a moment your hearing both numbers. And then a single number. And when the ferris number change that creates a mixture of both sounds also. But like Tony said, you'll learn it pretty quickly.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Like someone on "Cartalk"

Thanks Tony! Here is an example...at the 1:27 mark the guy passes a coin and sometimes there is one tone but other times there is more...and he is just bench testing....no iron nearby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVZ9qH79dU
    I watched that video. One thing to note is that he has the sensitivity on "Manual" rather than "Auto". This will often cause less stable tones on the E-Trac. Nevertheless, what you hear there are fairly typical tones for the E-Trac.

You can watch this video of mine for another example. The video rambles on too long, but you can hear what a silver quarter at 6"-7" deep sounds like at the 10:13 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ugdrWtMnE&t=613s

I have the headphones plugged in but I think you can still hear the tones.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I watched that video. One thing to note is that he has the sensitivity on "Manual" rather than "Auto". This will often cause less stable tones on the E-Trac. Nevertheless, what you hear there are fairly typical tones for the E-Trac.

You can watch this video of mine for another example. The video rambles on too long, but you can hear what a silver quarter at 6"-7" deep sounds like at the 10:13 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ugdrWtMnE&t=613s

I have the headphones plugged in but I think you can still hear the tones.
    What you have your tone length set to also dictates how it sounds. If I remember correctly ,Tony, you have yours set to NORMAL right? I run in LONG. They sound a lot different if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    What you have your tone length set to also dictates how it sounds. If I remember correctly ,Tony, you have yours set to NORMAL right? I run in LONG. They sound a lot different if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good point. Yes, I have mine set at "Normal".
    Lifetime totals:

Yep, I heard it Tony....thanks Tim and at Joe! You know....I posted this same question on other forums (I usually never do this but thought I'd get more answers) and you guys provided far and away the best discourse and answers....thanks!! AD has the best info on the web!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    LOL, agree. He did a good job.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com