Thread: Braved more barberry armed with a machete and shears. It paid off.

Threaded View

Braved more barberry armed with a machete and shears. It paid off.

Saturday was a debate on detecting as there was a convention to hit from 10-3. It was also grey and possibly rain. I went to the convention, but there were many tables which I didn't think were related to the theme, so I didn't stay too long.

I headed up to a new spot that I wanted to check out. First spot was a shorter hike in, but I figured no one had bothered to check this spot. It didn't look like a full homestead but there was a foundation. Turns out the foundation was for a barn. After about 5 min I was hopeful getting a high 80s VDI. Tried to take a short vid with the phone. It turned out to be a monster bullet. There was a lot of iron and it was localized around that barn only. The enclosed area within the walls must have been a huge pasture. I didn't find any positive vdi to dig. Eventually when I went back to the barway I spotted otw in, I saw the hunter stand. ugh. That's why it's been hit before. Someone knew of a foundation type there. After a while I was thinking to hike to another spot. There wasn't much service there so I kinda deviated a bit too far North as the gps wasn't updating correctly. I ended up where the brook was at it's widest part, almost like a river. Choice: walk a ways North and cross two tributaries, walk a ways South, or just go to a new spot. I chose a new spot.
    Name:  Chicken OTW.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  Rock face.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  Barn and ferns.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  61.3 KB
    The next spot was a hike in and was behind another site. I don't know how they made it to the site when it was active. This time I wore my gaiters and knee pads, but it was a little late as the rain was gone and my ankles were already wet. What lead me to the site was another barn, however I did spot a really small foundation that was amassed in barberries. I took out the machete and the clippers and took out a good chunk of them. Many are still there and the surrounding area is still covered with ferns dampening any real swinging. After a while I discovered a covered well. Sure enough this had to be a site. I checked the newly uncovered area to come up with 80% of a shoe buckle, an old designed pewter baby spoon, a brass knob of some sort, and two chapes. I also dug a sweet knee buckle. All the other 'complete' buckles I have dug had iron guts. Finally I got one with all brass parts and still intact. It even moves. The ox shoe is def a different shape than normal. Idk which chape belonged to the broken buckle, but it still means there should be another buckle somewhere else. It'll def warrant a trip back to clear more barberry. The lantern came from a 'pounded' site I walked through to get here.

Name:  Knee buckle front.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  133.1 KB
    Name:  Knee buckle moved.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  105.9 KB
    Name:  Buckle pieces.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  122.5 KB
    Name:  Pewter baby spoon.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  103.9 KB
    Name:  Pewter design zoom.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  112.8 KB
    Name:  Back of brass disc.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  129.2 KB
    Name:  Total finds 9-30.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  142.6 KB
    Name:  ox shoe, big bullet, lantern.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  135.1 KB
    Last edited by MangoAve; 10-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.