Thread: Return trips to the old swimming hole

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Return trips to the old swimming hole

Here are my finds from my last 3 trips (13hours) to the old swimming hole. I thought this site dated to the early 1900’s but after a few old coins I’m thinking it had been used for several years prior to 1900. I found one more gold ring, 10K 3.0 grams. I found an additional 8 rings. A couple suspect as to being gold. I will update after I get my gold testing kit. My other jewelry items are a vintage brooch with an butterfly inlaid, a vintage necklace, a Religious medal and another costume brooch. 2 Cracker Jack lead toys a gun and a whistle. The gun is listed as a $25 value in a guide book. 2 tokens a good for 5 cents and a sweet 1852 Bank of Upper Canada 1/2 penny. Now for the old coins, an 1881 Indian, a 1867 sheild nickel and two Canadian large cents both dated 1859. Its been tough detecting due to the rocky ground and the fact that a lot of the area had been filled with large rocks to prevent erosion. Also the area is literally littered with trash. But it has been more than worth the extra effort. One other note is I set the Deus up for water and was using the high frequency coils set to 28khz. It seems to get good depth and it hits hard on the conductive targets.
    Attached Images Attached Images             

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Wow, Jeff, you have found a real honey hole there! I wonder why there are so many Canadian coins? I agree that this spot must have been in use in the mid 1800s. I love the Shield Nickel and it has a clear 1867 date. Does it have rays on the other side?

The jewelry you found is incredible! Much of it looks Victorian. Keep us posted on the gold testing.

I bet there is more treasure there!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow, I agree with Tony, you have a super Honey Hole there.
    Great coins, Great relics. Awesome hunt!!!
    Can't wait to see what your next visit produces.
    Best of luck!!!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Wow, Jeff, you have found a real honey hole there! I wonder why there are so many Canadian coins? I agree that this spot must have been in use in the mid 1800s. I love the Shield Nickel and it has a clear 1867 date. Does it have rays on the other side?

The jewelry you found is incredible! Much of it looks Victorian. Keep us posted on the gold testing.

I bet there is more treasure there!
    No rays on the Nickel and yes I’m hoping there is much more to be found.

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

That's a ton of keepers, Jeff!! I love that brooch! Is that a ribbon motif inside?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow Jeff, you're killing it with the old stuff! Congrats on the gold, and that brooch and necklace ate a couple awesome finds. Sounds line a lot of work, but we'll worth it.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Wow! A bunch of nice finds. Glad to hear the HF coil is producing for you.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's a ton of keepers, Jeff!! I love that brooch! Is that a ribbon motif inside?
    There is a butterfly inside the brooch.

Wow bunch of great finds hope there is much more there for ya good luck....looking forward to your return visits
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Defiantly worth the extra effort!
    I was sore for almost a full week the last time I was there! But we'll worth it!
    I really like that necklace! That's sharp! Makes you wonder.... who go's swimming with a necklace like that on?
    Of course gold is king! A old signet ring. Are those horseshoes on the sides of the band or just rings? That's cool!
    Congrats!
    All kinds of cool old stuff! I didn't realize you found 8 other rings on top of the gold one.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Wow Jeff! Great finds, looks like an awesome spot, good luck on return trips!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Man Jeff, you sure got one helluva spot! Those are some fantastic finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album