Thread: Independence Hall 1776 - lead "thing"

Independence Hall 1776 - lead "thing"

Hey guys, I've been trying to identify this thing for months. It's some kind of memento (I think) for Independence Hall. It says "'Independence Hall" across the top and "17" on left side of steeple and "76" on right side. It's heavy (37g), it has to be lead. It was found at the same old fields where I found my 1760 KGII, but in a different section. This different section has coughed up a few largies, early 1800s.

Any thoughts on this "thing"? It's flat on rear side, no writing or anything else.

Name:  ih1.gif
Views: 318
Size:  112.4 KB
    Name:  ih2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  26.4 KB
    Last edited by Ken C; 11-09-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Pretty cool! Wax seal?
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Pretty cool! Wax seal?
    I was thinking that at first, but wouldn't the letters and numbers be reversed?
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)

That's a very interesting find. I'm wondering if it's a pressed musket ball (much like the pressed pennies you can get when you visit a tourist site)? Maybe before pressed pennies it was pressed musket balls?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    That's a very interesting find. I'm wondering if it's a pressed musket ball (much like the pressed pennies you can get when you visit a tourist site)? Maybe before pressed pennies it was pressed musket balls?
    It's think and heavy. I think it would take 2-3 balls combined to make it if that was the case. It's a little 3D too, the hall and trees pop out a bit and then the tree in front of left side of building (viewing left) pops out a little more.
    -------------------

Yep. My bad didn't see any writing on it & just assumed, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    I was thinking that at first, but wouldn't the letters and numbers be reversed?
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

How much does it weigh in grams?
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

That is a very unique find. I hope you find out more about it. I did a quick Google search with no luck.
    XP Deus

How much does it weigh in grams?
    It weighs 37g
    -------------------

Ken, I wondered if this was a flattened musket ball. I used the Sivilich Formula to calculate the diameter of a flattened musket ball that weighs 37 grams (assumes no lead loss).

Diameter in inches = 0.2228 x (Weight in grams)1/3 This gives a diameter of .743 inches. The bore of a Revolutionary War Brown Bess musket is .75 inches (almost an exact match!). The next closest thing is a British ball at .69 inches.

This is just a guess on my part but could this be an Independence souvenir made from a British Brown Bess musket ball? If so, I'm thinking it wasn't actually made in 1776 but perhaps when America was 50 years old or maybe in 1876 for Centennial.
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 11-09-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Ken, I wondered if this was a flattened musket ball. I used the Sivilich Formula to calculate the diameter of a flattened musket ball that weighs 37 grams (assumes no lead loss).

Diameter in inches = 0.2228 x (Weight in grams)1/3 This gives a diameter of .743 inches. The bore of a Revolutionary War Brown Bess musket is .75 inches (almost an exact match!). The next closest thing is a British ball at .69 inches.

This is just a guess on my part but could this be an Independence souvenir made from a British Brown Bess musket ball? If so, I'm thinking it wasn't actually made in 1776 but perhaps when America was 50 years old or maybe in 1876 for Centennial.
    Hmm...I thought it would have been much heavier than one musketball and the 3D effect made me think it wasn't pressed. Great info, thank you!

I was thinking it was some kind of memento as well, most likely from the 50 yr (1826) since it matches time wise with all the large cents I found from 1815-1854. There are some 100 yr coins on eBay, but they seem much better made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1776-1876-L....c100033.m2042
    -------------------

Ken , I know you said the reverse was flat but please show us a picture
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Ken , I know you said the reverse was flat but please show us a picture

Sure, no problem at all. I really appreciate the help!

Name:  IMG_5484.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  55.6 KB
    -------------------

The item wasn't "pressed" but poured into a brass or copper faced mold , I suspect the imaged face was more than likely polished or plated probably part of the whole item and may have separated and fell off . I would guess it was a souvenir piece to commemorate either the age of the historic landmark or a centennial of our independence .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    The item wasn't "pressed" but poured into a brass or copper faced mold , I suspect the imaged face was more than likely polished or plated probably part of the whole item and may have separated and fell off . I would guess it was a souvenir piece to commemorate either the age of the historic landmark or a centennial of our independence .

Dan
    Thank you for the info Dan, much appreciated!
    -------------------

Update - I've been working hard trying to identify this memento.

I emailed the Independence Hall Museum last week to see if they had any information. They were unfamiliar with the object and asked if I would be interested in donating this object to Independence National Historical Park's permanent museum collection.

I think I will donate it. It would be an honor to have an item in a museum.
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    They were unfamiliar with the object and asked if I would be interested in donating this object to Independence National Historical Park's permanent museum collection.

I think I will donate it. It would be an honor to have an item in a museum.
    Good on you mate! Thanks for taking the time to research this and also for putting our hobby in a good light! Best wishes for 2018, Dave.