Thread: Falsing help?

Falsing help?

I've been working on trying to edge out more coins from area with a lot of nails. The CTX as we know isn't very quick on the recovery especially when using discrimination. The best way I've found is to use an open screen which has netted a lot of deep targets I would have otherwise missed.
    But here's the problem-using the open screen also has me digging maybe 20 to 30 nails or other iron for each good target because of falsing. Meaning I can get a repeatable good high tone and a vdi good range. But when dug, its usually some junk in the wall of the hole way off to the side.
    So, just wondering if anyone else has had that problem and found a way around it? Thanks, appreciate any suggestions.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

On my etrac when I hunt with open screen the iron usually comes in about 35-46 and the good targets anywhere from 14-46 to 20-46 (depending how close to the iron). Del saw me pull an 1805 large cent from 10 inches deep at the edge of a iron-infested cellar hole. It rang up 20-46 while all the iron was hitting in the 30's.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

On the CTX, the iron nails would often come in between 12-34 to 12- 44 depending on the size. Typically when this happens its on deep targets, maybe 8 to 12 plus inches. Less than that I just get the usual iron grunt. I do get those readings in the low right side of the screen, but thats always rusty bent up wire at any depth.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I have been digging "every" signal this year with an open screen (except for 30-XX) to get a better feel for the CTX3030. What I have especially found is that if I get a squeek and it is the 12-34/44 one way but doesn't sound quite right, I go 90 degrees and go over again. If all I get are grunts, 100% of the time this year, it has been a nail. With that being said, there are times I get a solid signal both ways, but it turns out to be a larger nail about 6+ inches down. Seems like anything below 6+ in our soil with a bigger nail is a 50/50 on whether or not it is a nail.

This is where philosophy of metal detecting comes into play. Do you dig it all or dig most or just dig solid signals?
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    This is where philosophy of metal detecting comes into play. Do you dig it all or dig most or just dig solid signals?
    Agreed, it depends on how much time I have and what exactly I want. I'm really focused on old (1700s/1800s) coins. Relics are cool to find, but if I don't find at least one coin I'm not pleased with the hunt.

It if's a short afternoon hunt, I'll use my silver/big copper coinshooting program and dig only good targets. If I'm on an all day hunt, I'll run wide open and dig just about everything. I've found some great old coins with sketchy signals by digging everything.
    Last edited by Ken C; 11-13-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com