Thread: A Beautiful Semi Key Indian

Threaded View

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

A Beautiful Semi Key Indian

I obtained a new permission a few weeks ago for a pasture that had a homestead that dated back to the 1860’s. The owner of the property stated that the farm house burned down in the 1960’s and the rest of the buildings were raised shortly after that. The only thing left standing were 2 silos. As you can imagine the site was loaded with iron. When swinging the Deus it sounded like a machine gun going off with all the iron grunts. I slowed my swing down and just listened for the squeaks from the non ferrous targets.

My first couple coins were wheats from the 40’s. After about an hour I got my first of 6 Indians from the site. The Indians are 1865, 1879, 1884, 1890, 1902 & 1902. The semi key Indian is the 1879 and it is the most beautiful Indian I’ve found in 40 some years of detecting. I gave it a wash in water and soaked it in olive oil for a few days. It has a really nice patina and I would grade it MS40 plus. I still can not believe this coin came out of the ground let alone a field. I also found a couple more wheats and a lone silver dime 1918 Merc. There were also several relics among the iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber