Thread: December hunt to remember

December hunt to remember

Sunday was a much needed detecting day after the busy Thanksgiving holiday and I know Donnie B. was chomping at the bit to get out again as well . The plan for this day was to hit some sites that have been choked off by ferns earlier in the year , the continued frosts have killed off the vegetation and made it possible to swing a bit more freely in these areas. I also wanted to do a bit of scouting for new sites (early cabin sites) as the leaves on the trees are down and visibility in the woods is perfect , being able to see hundreds of yards at a time now .

One of the sites we hit was where we took the "Illinois boys " a year or two ago , this place was one of the only ones that produced some good finds and revealed just how old it was . Donnie and I hit it earlier in the year but the green ferns were just out of control , this time around it was better but next spring will be much better after the snows pack everything down again.

At this site I did manage to hit on a great sounding target and as I pulled it up out of the mass of roots I quickly grew familiar with its shape . Name:  dec sword guard.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  57.9 KB

This broken in half piece would guard the user's hand and would of looked like this whole just below the blade Name:  _bumd28gegk___kgrhqyokkyevpp1bkv1bl_t3tj_dq___3_291.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  48.7 KB The timeframe on this piece can vary from the late 1600's to about the mid 1700's era .

The next site was one I was familiar with but never detected as the only other times I've been in the area it was the wrong time of year as the site was very choked off with vegetation , Its also on a well marked trail and very very trashy with early 1900's era dumpings . Its a huge center chimney home site Name:  dec cellar.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  121.4 KBwith briars and metal trash guarding its accessibility and secrets . I saw a nice slope on one side and it looked good to me weaving in an out of the thick saplings and dead tree fall , I got a few nice sounding targets ( old brass lantern parts , broken pewter spoon end and then what sounded like a shot gun shell . This one sounded a bit deeper and a little higher in tone and quickly I recovered what I thought was a tombac . As I cleaned off the moist dark dirt I noticed it had something about it ... I yelled to Donnie " I got a button " ... 'it looks like it may have a design on it or around the edges" . With the dark overcast skies above I had to put my glasses on to see it well enough to officially make that call Name:  dec navy button .jpg
Views: 217
Size:  69.0 KB , well , well , well and early looking anchor design . I shouted out to Donnie again to share in my excitement "Hey the button has a Navy anchor on it " , he immediately exclaims "Aw man your kidding , right " This button cleaned up pretty well and despite the wear for it age it still shows off a good amount of gilt . Name:  dec navy cleaned.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  122.2 KB This button has all the tell tale signs of it being an authentic Revolutionary war period military button , the style of the anchor , the right size (24 mm) and the image being "pressed or stamped" into the button and should date from about 1770's to 1780's for a Naval captain or commander . There usually for Royal naval officer's but its possible the continental Navy used these as well for its high ranking officer's . Either way I am thrilled to have found such a beautiful example .

We stuck around for a while more but the finds seems to fizzle out , its very odd how this happens to sites ! they start out great with abundant of targets and then its like a light switch that turns off and no one is digging anything . I don't get it ?

We made a couple of quick scouting missions but they didn't pan out for sites and our daylight was fading in a couple of hours so I suggested a site I hadn't been to in a few years. I wasn't there long and right at the back of the chimney pile of an old cellar I get a "screaming" target (+83) but it only pinpointed at about an inch down . I didn't even call out to Donnie on this one as I figured it was some modern trash as it was in the area on the surface to see . So I "kicked" the leaves out but the target was still reading about a half inch now and as I scraped the dirt away with my boot I see a large green disk slide half way out of the dirt scrapings. When I pick it up I know its an old colonial coin and immediately see "the rings" on the one side ! Name:  dec. fugio.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  45.0 KB" Hey I got a coin .... I think its a Fugio" Donnie quickly comes over and we both can't believe its shallow resting place ! I'll show the coin again once I get it cleaned up and attributed to a variety . This makes Fugio number 19 and I hope there are a few more in years to come .

Shortly after the Fugio and about 30 feet away I get a very deep iffy target , sounding decent one way but like a deep nail the other ! I love hearing deep targets like this and the inexperienced detectorists will usually pass or miss these targets as it was in a well traveled pathway just behind the cellar. This somewhat iffy item was about 7 inches deep on edge Name:  dec cut william.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  43.3 KBand turned out to be a cut coin ,a William the III (1696 to 1701) Half penny , What a great day of hunting I had . Thanks for looking and taking the time to read this .

Name:  Dec 3rd finds .jpg
Views: 211
Size:  60.4 KB

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very nice read Dan, great hunt! Congrats on that sweet button and Fugio. If I ever make it out your way a Fugio would be #1 on my bucket list.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

It's great to see you wee able get a hunt in this weekend, even better that you found all those awesome finds!
    I can't wait to see those buttons and coins cleaned up. I really like that anchor button. it's amazing how much gilt is still in the recessed areas.
    Great Hunt!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great hunting Dan. Fugio nbr 19...... How about you throwing up some eye candy of your colonial coins.....please.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congratulations, my friend! You have told me many times that a good day of relic hunting includes The Relic, The Button and The Coin! You got all three on Sunday plus a bonus! What a beautiful day for relic hunting in December! I checked and I got my Fugio last year on December 4th and you got your 19th exactly 364 days later on December 3rd! We are in a Fugio Vortex! So, the cut coin is a William III......Wow! That definitely fits into the time period of the other relics you found at that site. I can't wait to see the coins cleaned up and find out the variety on the Fugio. I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone kick the leaves back and find a Fugio laying on the ground after over 200 years! It has been laying there waiting on you! Well done, my friend. Well done, Sir!
    XP Deus

Very nice set of finds Dan. You continue to impress me by your overall knowledge of colonial items. That sword part - I likely would've put that into my "trash" pocket. Congrats also on your 19th Fugio. I still can't believe I said that..."19th Fugio". Nuts. Anyway, Happy Holidays to you sir and hopefully the weather will cooperate for us all as we head toward the New Year.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Yow! That is one heck of a hunt Dan I see you were not just satisfied with one nice find....you had to make it four great finds I knew you had a pile of Fugios......but 19 !!!! There may not be another person in the world that has metal detected that many Fugios. Tough to pick a favorite out of that lot of finds. Congrats!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow!! 19 fugios!! Amazing! How'd this one clean up? They usually are pretty beat.
    That button is the find of the day though!! Congrats!
    PS was I at that site a few years ago where the IL boys did well?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Those are the kind of hunts that are nice to relive when the snow is blowing and temperatures hovering near zero. Thank you for the excellent write up it made it seem we were with you looking over your shoulder!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Love finding any military button but the oldies hold a special place, what history they have and what stories they could tell, amazing find congrats cleaned up nice. Beautiful ��

Ok now you guys are just showing off! congrats on some great finds.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Very nice read Dan, great hunt! Congrats on that sweet button and Fugio. If I ever make it out your way a Fugio would be #1 on my bucket list.
    Thank you Chris , I will sure to try hard at giving you a great chance at finding one when you do !

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    It's great to see you wee able get a hunt in this weekend, even better that you found all those awesome finds!
    I can't wait to see those buttons and coins cleaned up. I really like that anchor button. it's amazing how much gilt is still in the recessed areas.
    Great Hunt!!
    Don , The coins are a tough nut to crack ! The fugio cleaned up somewhat well , meaning it looks to have some good detail but there is some very stubborn corrosion on it and I'm mulling over my next options to remove it . Here is what it looks like now though . Name:  dec fugio partially claned.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  86.9 KBName:  dec fugio partially claned 2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  63.4 KB . it don't look bad but I think I can get it a lot better . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Great hunting Dan. Fugio nbr 19...... How about you throwing up some eye candy of your colonial coins.....please.
    I'll get right on that Al , Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Very nice set of finds Dan. You continue to impress me by your overall knowledge of colonial items. That sword part - I likely would've put that into my "trash" pocket. Congrats also on your 19th Fugio. I still can't believe I said that..."19th Fugio". Nuts. Anyway, Happy Holidays to you sir and hopefully the weather will cooperate for us all as we head toward the New Year.

John
    Hey thanks John , I hope the weather holds out for at least a few more weeks , Happy holidays to you to sir

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Congratulations, my friend! You have told me many times that a good day of relic hunting includes The Relic, The Button and The Coin! You got all three on Sunday plus a bonus! What a beautiful day for relic hunting in December! I checked and I got my Fugio last year on December 4th and you got your 19th exactly 364 days later on December 3rd! We are in a Fugio Vortex! So, the cut coin is a William III......Wow! That definitely fits into the time period of the other relics you found at that site. I can't wait to see the coins cleaned up and find out the variety on the Fugio. I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone kick the leaves back and find a Fugio laying on the ground after over 200 years! It has been laying there waiting on you! Well done, my friend. Well done, Sir!
    I couldn't believe the items I was finding , weather was beautiful and the so were the finds . Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Yow! That is one heck of a hunt Dan I see you were not just satisfied with one nice find....you had to make it four great finds I knew you had a pile of Fugios......but 19 !!!! There may not be another person in the world that has metal detected that many Fugios. Tough to pick a favorite out of that lot of finds. Congrats!
    Thanks you Jeff , The button definitely made my hunt in my opinion and took the pressure off of finding anything else for the day .

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Wow!! 19 fugios!! Amazing! How'd this one clean up? They usually are pretty beat.
    That button is the find of the day though!! Congrats!
    PS was I at that site a few years ago where the IL boys did well?
    I agree Drew , the coin has some good detail the next layer of corrosion will be challenging and I'll post the results and how I did it . Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Those are the kind of hunts that are nice to relive when the snow is blowing and temperatures hovering near zero. Thank you for the excellent write up it made it seem we were with you looking over your shoulder!
    Thank you Tony , I appreciate that !

Quote Originally Posted by Oneil1979 View Post
    Love finding any military button but the oldies hold a special place, what history they have and what stories they could tell, amazing find congrats cleaned up nice. Beautiful ��
    Yes the really old buttons and relics are my favorite , Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    Ok now you guys are just showing off! congrats on some great finds.
    Thank you "CD" , I've got some catching up to you in the button department ! You've found some great ones this year !

WTG on the Fugio Dan! Wow 19, sheesh! I've got 17 more to catch up to you, LOL. I remember one hunt with Dave & Frank, Frank found a Nova right on the surface.

Love the other finds as well!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

WTG super nice!!!!!
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

East Coast Relic Hunters - "We don't just read history, we save it!"

HUGE CONGRATS on the Revolutionary Button BANNER!
    "I found a button."
    "It's got a design on it."
    "It's got an Anchor on it!"
    I will never forget that day!
    XP Deus

Congrats on the incredible hunt, Dan! The sword cross guard is an amazing piece of history! It makes you wonder where the other half is. Was it found by a previous detectorist, or could it still be there somewhere?

The Fugio and the early Navy button are also terrific finds. That is an old site! Spectacular!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Looks like you did well

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG on the Fugio Dan! Wow 19, sheesh! I've got 17 more to catch up to you, LOL. I remember one hunt with Dave & Frank, Frank found a Nova right on the surface.

Love the other finds as well!
    Thanks Roger , after the day I was already having it was just a great surprise as I was expecting modern trash that shallow

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Relic Hunter View Post
    WTG super nice!!!!!
    Thank you Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    HUGE CONGRATS on the Revolutionary Button BANNER!
    "I found a button."
    "It's got a design on it."
    "It's got an Anchor on it!"
    I will never forget that day!
    It was great to share the experience with ya , my last two hunts have netted me 3 1/2 coppers and some great relics and buttons I can't wait to get out again . Dave must be hating me for texting him these last few hunts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Congrats on the incredible hunt, Dan! The sword cross guard is an amazing piece of history! It makes you wonder where the other half is. Was it found by a previous detectorist, or could it still be there somewhere?

The Fugio and the early Navy button are also terrific finds. That is an old site! Spectacular!

Over the years I have found a few sword parts and I'm in awe every time because they are usually pretty old . I'm hoping to find more of this one next spring when everything is flattened down from winter's snow pack. Thanks Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Looks like you did well
    Thank you Cooper