Thread: Old padlock with eagle design on cover

Old padlock with eagle design on cover

I just got around to cleaning an old padlock that a found a couple of weeks ago. I tried a vinegar soak first without much luck, then electrolysis which worked much better.

Does anyone know old padlocks? 1800s era? Was this made by Eagle based on the eagle on cover? Never dug a lock before, so I'm on a steep learning curve lol.

Now that's I've cleaned up it some, how should I finish it? Wax?

Thanks for any info!

After electrolysis:

Before photo:

-------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

The eagle was used by many manufacturers so it will be hard to ID which one made your lock. I am guessing that it would date from the 1850s to the mid 1900s.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Looks like a nice old "smoke house" pad lock. I've zapped a couple of crusty locks. For that type of iron object, once it comes out of the electrolysis unit, it gets a scrub with baking soda to remove the black oxide, then a thorough rinse, then a soak in acetone for 30 seconds (to drive off any remaining H2O) then it immediately gets doused in WD40. Let that soak into all the nooks and crannies. I'll give it another bath in WD40 a couple of days later and that's it.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

From my understanding there were various American manufacturers who used a stamped eagle design at one time or another , some used it as a brand logo while others used it to distinguish it as an American lock maker ( as opposed to British or other) , many of the eagle motifs are of different styles and positions .I listed two examples to give you an idea of what I'm talking about , the first is a "Wood" made lock while the second is made by D & M . With this all said its safe to say your lock is 19th century and perhaps any where from the 1830's to about 1870's in age .

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    The eagle was used by many manufacturers so it will be hard to ID which one made your lock. I am guessing that it would date from the 1850s to the mid 1900s.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Looks like a nice old "smoke house" pad lock. I've zapped a couple of crusty locks. For that type of iron object, once it comes out of the electrolysis unit, it gets a scrub with baking soda to remove the black oxide, then a thorough rinse, then a soak in acetone for 30 seconds (to drive off any remaining H2O) then it immediately gets doused in WD40. Let that soak into all the nooks and crannies. I'll give it another bath in WD40 a couple of days later and that's it.
    Thanks for the preservation tip!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    From my understanding there were various American manufacturers who used a stamped eagle design at one time or another , some used it as a brand logo while others used it to distinguish it as an American lock maker ( as opposed to British or other) , many of the eagle motifs are of different styles and positions .I listed two examples to give you an idea of what I'm talking about , the first is a "Wood" made lock while the second is made by D & M . With this all said its safe to say your lock is 19th century and perhaps any where from the 1830's to about 1870's in age .

Dan
    Thank you Dan!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com