Thread: Lost my favorite digging tool

Lost my favorite digging tool

Not too stressed out about it though because it only cost me $8.99 at Harbor Freight to replace it. I bought the first one about 3 years ago. I figured I would snap the blade soon but it took a lot more abuse than I thought it could handle. The blade is still fine, but I left it somewhere in the woods last time out.

The blade is 8 inches long with another 6 inches of handle. The handle has a cap that unscrews and is hollow. It comes with some "survival" gear. I'll throw that stuff out and put in the magnesium fire starter and a whistle instead. The spine is serrated and it cuts really well. The only knock I have is the sheath. It is a cheapo. I fixed that last time by cutting a couple of pieces of an old leather belt the shape of the blade and sticking it down in the sheath to stop the blade from cutting the seam threads.

I like it because not only is it a great digger, but if I run into a sasquatch or a crack head in the middle of the woods, they might think twice about trying anything when they see that on my belt.

I use my regular shovel to start holes but this works great if I suspect I have something good in the hole and I need to carefully dig it out. Good bargain for $9.00. I'm not going to cry if I break it....or leave it in the woods

Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Who knows....maybe someday we will see a picture of your lost digger posted by a another detectorist.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

For some reason that scene from Crocodile Dundee popped into my head when I read your post about the crack heads. You saying "That's not a knife, now this, this is a knife!"
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Who knows....maybe someday we will see a picture of your lost digger posted by a another detectorist.
    Now that would be something !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    For some reason that scene from Crocodile Dundee popped into my head when I read your post about the crack heads. You saying "That's not a knife, now this, this is a knife!"
    Yeah great scene, except his knife was more like a short sword

Jeff I can very much relate to your loss , I too carry a cheap "bowie" type knife as a digging tool for carefully extracting things out of the roots . its been used so much over the years that its now pretty dull to use as a self defense weapon from some animal . My wife got me another knife to keep handy for those emergencies . Who knows you may get lucky and just find you own knife at a site in a few years I found my main jeep keys after losing them for a few years at a site
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Jeff I can very much relate to your loss , I too carry a cheap "bowie" type knife as a digging tool for carefully extracting things out of the roots . its been used so much over the years that its now pretty dull to use as a self defense weapon from some animal . My wife got me another knife to keep handy for those emergencies . Who knows you may get lucky and just find you own knife at a site in a few years I found my main jeep keys after losing them for a few years at a site
    Yeah I suspect I'll find it next time I hit that site Dan. I've been fortunate not to loose my keys yet. Actually I did loose them once. I lost them inside my back pack. Didn't find them until I emptied my pack a couple days later .