Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Central Virginia

Greetings from Central Virginia

Been lurking for a while and liked what a saw. Nice forum here.

Welcome

Welcome from the frozen tundra of Illinois!

We're glad you joined the forum! What is "Camp Breathedsville"?

There sure is a lot of history there in Virginia! I bet you have made some good finds over the years.

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks for the welcomes. Camp Breathedsville was a little known cavalry camp a hop, skip, and jump from Antietam. I did my first Civil War hunting there back in 1968. At the time, the land belonged to my uncle who ran a mill and general store there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello and welcome to our modest slice of internet heaven Do you prefer I call you Camp Breathedsville , "CB" or just another crazy relic hound like the rest of us ? I'm so glad you chose to stop lurking and join us here , please feel free to show us some of you proudest recoveries as most here are snowed in and pictures generate heat and heat keeps our drool from freezing .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You must have loads of cool finds by now! Anything stick out as being special to you? Glad you found us!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks Del and Drew.. Drew, there are a few things that are special to me, but believe it or not, my dug cap gun collection is my favorite. I just have an affinity for them for some reason. I also love my dug cast iron (and other) toys. Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

Welcome to our forum from central Maryland.

Greetings Robbie.. Thanks! Where about in Maryland are you? I spent a lot of my early years in Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Breathedsville View Post
    Greetings Robbie.. Thanks! Where about in Maryland are you? I spent a lot of my early years in Maryland.
    Anne Arundel county, Glen Burnie

Cool.. My son lives in Arnold and works in Annapolis. Use to be great hunting in Parole before it was all paved over. Still good hunting in the trench beside Home Depot.

Cool.. My son lives in Arnold and works in Annapolis. Use to be great hunting in Parole before it was all paved over. Still good hunting in the trench beside Home Depot.
    I lived in Arnold 20yrs, my mom`s still there. Does your son detect? Were going to be back up in the near 60s next weekend. I`ll have to try that trench.

Yeah .. he does, but with the winter, a newborn, and his job, he (we) doesn't get out very much at all. Here are a few of pics of him and my daughter looking for, finding, and excavating an old site.
    -

Name:  searching for site.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  137.9 KBName:  found the site.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  135.6 KBName:  J&D housesite dig.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  127.1 KB
    Last edited by Camp Breathedsville; 01-07-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Yeah .. he does, but with the winter, a newborn, and his job, he (we) doesn't get out very much at all. Here are a few of pics of him and my daughter looking for, finding, and excavating an old site.
    -

Name:  searching for site.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  137.9 KBName:  found the site.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  135.6 KBName:  J&D housesite dig.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  127.1 KB
    That`s great, yeah now that my boys are older I can get out more. My kids didn't get into detecting much. I had a good year detecting near the Key bridge and catching Big crabs with traps.

You should create a photo album of your finds. You can check mine out by clicking on my name than scroll down to my finds. ( I do need to update it a little). I glad you found this forum, it has been very helpful to me.

No, I don't think enjoying the dug cap guns and toys is crazy at all. I can't seem to find a complete cap gun or tootsie toy. Impressive you have a collection!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome from Wisconsin, land where even the air is frozen! LOL Gotta say you've got some great area to hunt. And no, it isn't crazy. Whatever you like seeing come out of the ground most is what you should be most proud of. I've personally enjoyed seeing some old cap guns and tootsie toys being found, along with lead figures, cracker jack prizes, and so on.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    You should create a photo album of your finds. You can check mine out by clicking on my name than scroll down to my finds. ( I do need to update it a little). I glad you found this forum, it has been very helpful to me.
    I use to have an album, but photobucket is holding them hostage until i pay their outrageous $300 ransom.

I use to have an album, but photobucket is holding them hostage until i pay their outrageous $300 ransom.
    Photobucket is ridiculous ! you should still be able to retrieve or copy all the photos on photobucket , I've been copying mine and downloading them into files on my computer .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Photobucket is ridiculous ! you should still be able to retrieve or copy all the photos on photobucket , I've been copying mine and downloading them into files on my computer .
    Can you still do that? As time allowed, I had been downloading my photos from Photobucket and saving them back to my computer so I could restore all of the photos on my forum posts.

But recently Photobucket will not allow me to download the photos to my computer. I can only view the thumbnail preview versions of my photos in Photobucket, and they are very small and of poor resolution.

I hate Photobucket!

EDIT: I just tried it and it seems that I am now able to download photos from Photobucket again. It is very time consuming and the pop-up ads are maddening, but at least I can get to my photos again.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 01-08-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg